What CX Bike Models do you know?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
itaa

What CX Bike Models do you know?

Post by itaa »

I'm after a new ( Used!) bike and I have decided on cyclocross.

Can anyone please list Good CX bike Models you know?
I have a budget of around £150-£500 (not really a set budget,just depends on what is on offer on fleabay? Basically looking for something that has been £600-£1200+ when new and has good bits to it)

I'm currently looking at some boardman CX / Specialized Tricross / Ridley various models.
Needs: ability to mount a rack for panniers,mudguards,bottle.

What other GOOD CX models you can suggest?
NUKe

Re: What CX Bike Models do you know?

Post by NUKe »

Kona Jake, Tifosi Ck5 ticks your box, but for what you are looking for there are other bikes better suited Ribble audax Tifosi ck7, genesis croix de fer.
Be warned high end equipment is not necessarily more reliable just lighter.
NUKe

Post by meic »

My bike is a good bike which is classed as a CX bike but it is NOT a good CX bike. It would never be used by a serious cyclocross racer in a race. The term is Faux-CX.
They make excellent all-rounders with an emphasis on light touring, with some tolerance of imperfect road surfaces.

Croix de Fer seems like a good starting point.
Yma o Hyd
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

Kinesis Crosslight 5T Disc is superb for what you want, takes mudguards, panniers, 2 water bottles. I use mine for my 18 mile commute and have no worries about stripping it down to hit the mud either. I also did the C2C on its better cousin, the Pro 6 Disc, very comfortable for hours in the saddle and very steep hills.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels. Pro
itaa

Post by itaa »

Oh I don't even want to join a race or anything like that, heck I rarely ever even drive on road with other cars,I just want a good reliable bike to commute and go on adventures with,My priorities aren't extra 20g weight savings or ability to go 1km/h faster. I can just loose some more weight from myself, that will be a much cheaper and better option.

I have completely worn out my current el cheapo £50 (bought used) mountainbike it has worn bottom bracket, brakes are almost non-existant,chain is worn as well ,needs new cables and gears are just shot, no point spending any money on it as after all it will still be a cheapo 15.5kg heavy mtb :D
GarethF

Post by GarethF »

Very happy with my Ridley XBow. The CX gearing ie 46/36 11-28 seems ideal for commuting. The only drawback if you go for racing geometry is you could find issues with toe overlap which are exacerbated by a front mudguard. I kicked my guard into the front wheel a couple of times until I learnt to avoid it when making tight turns!
G