Crimping tools for dynamo wiring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Crimping tools for dynamo wiring

Post by Samuel D »

Peter White lists two tools for crimping connectors onto wires. The price of the Knipex 97 52 14 makes the eyes water. The other one looks overpriced for what it is too.

Both of these are also sold by SJS Cycles.

I like good tools and sometimes pay for them, but these seem overkill for a home mechanic. (Or are they, considering I install lights at least once a year? I prefer not to have them on the bicycle in the summer.)

Anyway, is there a good and cheaper alternative to these crimping tools?

I’m no good at soldering and don’t have the tools for that either.
old_windbag

Re: Crimping tools for dynamo wiring

Post by old_windbag »

There are cheaper sources for such

Screwfix:- https://www.screwfix.com/p/ratchet-crimping-tool-1-0-10mm/96561

or

CPC http://cpc.farnell.com/c/tools-maintenance/hand-tools/crimp-insertion-tools/crimp-tools-accessories/crimp-tools

Depends on how often used and for most of us the budget models offered above would probably be fine.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I bought a proper ratchet crimping tool, and it was £30 or £40 which I thought very reasonable. I think it was either Elliot Lucas or Facom - both excellent brands. I would definitely reccomend the ratchet type over the crappy on. TBH I'd prefer to make to with a mole grip than the crappy type. A lifetime's supply of fittings in an assorter box was maybe a tenner
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can make good soldered joints with a length of solder and a cigarette lighter if you know what you are doing.

Good crimp tools are expensive because they are good. You can make adequate crimp joints using a tool which costs £1 but proper crimp joints (made with a good tool) are better for sure.

I find that on vehicles with exposed connections, the reliability of many crimp type connections is improved if the joint is also soldered.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
meic

Post by meic »

I remember once being shown around the RAF apprentice school in Halton in the early 1980s and being introduced to a crimping tool that cost £600 back then.
The argument was that the wiring on a high performance jet was all worked out exactly to minimise weight and that single nick in a wire could produce a hot spot leading to a fire so each crimp had to be perfect and inspected.
All as you say serious overkill for a dynano hub.

I do have some obsolete specific use (ratchet) crimping tools from BT and they are nice examples of quality precision kit, that were probably not cheap.
Yma o Hyd
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

old_windbag wrote:There are cheaper sources for such

Screwfix:- https://www.screwfix.com/p/ratchet-crimping-tool-1-0-10mm/96561
toolbase have a similar offering. I use CMP5 which can be found for about £20, very nice it is.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Good-Quality ... Sw4DJYfOzv
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

CPC have a fantastic range of all manner of tools, electronics, cables, ad infinitum. I've used them for about 20+yrs before they became a subsidiary of farnell( it now a subsidiary of avnet access IIRC ). For Samuel D I'd imagine he needs a company that can ship to france which I think CPC/Farnell amongst others definitely do.

Every man needs a decent soldering iron too!
Suffolker

Post by Suffolker »

I have got by with a basic crimping plier, left behind in my office by a Post Office Telecomms engineer in the 70's.

As I have a good set of soldering tools, I also solder crimped connections wherever possible.

To avoid corrosion, short circuits and for neatness, I usually put heat shrink on the whole connector and the adjacent cable. This also adds a little to the security of the joint, but of course isn't a substitute for a good crimp and/or solder. I have a collection of heat shrink in different sizes and colours (for cable ID). It comes into its own when the cabling is the Schmidt coax type (my preference).
rjb

Post by rjb »

Brucey wrote:you can make good soldered joints with a length of solder and a cigarette lighter if you know what you are doing.

Good crimp tools are expensive because they are good. You can make adequate crimp joints using a tool which costs £1 but proper crimp joints (made with a good tool) are better for sure.

I find that on vehicles with exposed connections, the reliability of many crimp type connections is improved if the joint is also soldered.

cheers

+1

You can get soldering irons and solder for less than a fiver from fleabay, these have multiple uses beyond dynamo wiring. soldering wires is not difficult, bit of practise and ensureing joints are clean and prepped correctly is usually sufficient. A useful lifetime skill to be learned. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Re soldering : whilst it is a relatively easy skill, albeit not trivial, it is extremely tricky to solder aluminium to copper - at least I don't know how to do it, so soldering a wire to a crimp fitting is beyond me.

I reccomend one of those gas soldering irons asnit's much handier than a leci one. You don't have the weight of the cable dragging it off the bench and you don't accidentally solder through the cable. Also comes with a jet for heat shrinking, direct (small) flame and for cutting rope / plastic. An all round great too. Maybe £30
meic

Post by meic »

I havent really noticed that many aluminium crimp terminals. I think that all of the ones that I have done have been copper-based, sometimes tinned making them silver. Same for the wires.
Yma o Hyd
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

profpointy wrote:I bought a proper ratchet crimping tool, and it was £30 or £40 which I thought very reasonable. I think it was either Elliot Lucas or Facom - both excellent brands. I would definitely reccomend the ratchet type over the crappy on. TBH I'd prefer to make to with a mole grip than the crappy type.

Would you mind explaining what is meant by ‘ratchet’ here? In this video, all I see is the crimp being punched in the back while being held in a sort of saddle. Where’s the ratchet or for that matter the hundreds of euros of cost?

There are so many different types of crimps out there that I’m concerned I’ll end up with an incompatible tool. I’m trying to crimp things that look like the “spade connectors” at the right of this image. They have a U-shaped channel into which the wire is laid.

Will this tool suggested by old_windbag work with those connectors? I ask because Screwfix tries to sell me “copper tube lugs” when I add it to my cart.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

meic wrote:I havent really noticed that many aluminium crimp terminals. I think that all of the ones that I have done have been copper-based, sometimes tinned making them silver. Same for the wires.

Ah, not considered that. I dare say you're right and it would make more sense. I just saw the silvery colour and assumed it was ali.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Samuel D wrote:Would you mind explaining what is meant by ‘ratchet’ here?

Will this tool suggested by old_windbag work with those connectors?

Ratchet is in the handle and prevents the tool being released accidentally until the whole crimp process has been completed. Meaning it is less likely to make a mess of the job. A ratchet tool does not automatically cost 100s, CMP5 is about £20. Now you have a part number you might find a supplier in France.

The Screwfix type will probably be fine, under Q&A it says it works with uninsulated as well as insulated. It has no ratchet. I would prefer a tool specifically for uninsulated so there is no doubt about getting a good joint. Having said that, I spent many years doing the job adequately with pliers and mole grips.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Thanks, tatanab. Final question: am I right in thinking that your CMP5 works on a different principle than the one in this video? The one in the video punches a depression into the back of the crimp whereas yours curls the connector channel into a B-shape, right?