Adjusting Tektro HD-M290 Hydraulic Disc brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brychan

Adjusting Tektro HD-M290 Hydraulic Disc brakes

Post by brychan »

Hi

Does anyone know how to adjust the above back & front brakes, I tried and made a mess of it.

What bolts do I have to loosen and where are they situated on the disc housing. I had a go and tried undoing the star bolts on the side but could not get them to budge, and ended up slightly damaging them.

What I want to do is get an even gap on both sides of the disc. I watched a few videos and the common technique is to loosen 2 Allen bolts squeeze the brake tighten the bolts and let go of the brake, but I can’t see these 2 Allen bolts on top of the disc pad housing.

I could take some photos of the brakes if needed.
Brucey

Re: Adjusting Tektro HD-M290 Hydraulic Disc brakes

Post by Brucey »

this is a tektro Auriga/M290 caliper on a post-mount adaptor

to adjust the alignment, loosen the (vertical) screws and move the caliper slightly. Often simply applying the brake and nipping the screws up first, then tightening them to the correct torque is enough to get a good alignment. If this doesn't work, check that

a) the discs are not warped and
b) both pistons are moving in the caliper.

The torx screws hold the caliper together; if you do manage to loosen those, the caliper falls apart and all the brake fluid leaks out. If you tried to unscrew those, I have no idea what you were thinking, exactly.

owner's manual here

http://www.maruishi-cycle.com/jamis/07tech/tech1/TEKTRO_AurigaComp.pdf

but I'm not sure how useful it really is. [see 'installation, step e5']

If in any doubt, take it to the LBS and have them set the brakes up; you are lucky not to have damaged your brakes thus far (= expensive) and needless to say faulty/badly adjusted brakes may well result in a very nasty accident.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
brychan

Re: Adjusting Tektro HD-M290 Hydraulic Disc brakes

Post by brychan »

Thanks Brucey It looks like you’ve answered my question will give it a try in the morning