Second-hand Shimano PD-M535 SPD clipless pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peiskos

Post by peiskos »

I'm in the market for my first set of clipless SPD pedals and my colleague offered me these very well used Shimano PD-M535 SPD clipless pedals for £10 to 'get going':

Photos: https://goo.gl/MJH8EF.

As you can see, they've certainly seen brighter days and I was told that the bearings may need to be replaced.

Given the time and cost implication (I don't have any tools at the moment, so would need to take to LBS to service and fit), do you think I'd be better off buying a new pair?

I've just bought a pair of Giro Herraduro MTB Shoes for use with the pedals.

Thoughts?
Cheers

/peiskos
Gattonero

Re: Second-hand Shimano PD-M535 SPD clipless pedals

Post by Gattonero »

Shimano SPD pedals would only need regular maintenance, if you are to actually "replace the bearings" you may as well have the bindings very worn.
In a nutshell: don't bother.

£20 brand new, and with cleats ;-)
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... VkEALw_wcB
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC PD-M535 bearings adjust using a tool that costs more than new pedals. If you have a tool and are prepared to use it maybe the pedals can be saved, but you would be better off with new pedals for ~£20 than those. New pedals come with new cleats, which are not cheap if you have to buy them separately.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

As others have said, go new. The pedals are so cheap compared to 26 years ago when SPD first came along, second hand is not worth worrying about. I've got M520s on my bikes and a spare pair that came along cause I saw them cheap, £16 IIRC but no cleats which isn't an issue as I already have spare cleats.
peiskos

Post by peiskos »

Thanks for replies. I shall pick up a new set and politely return the others. Now all I have to do is learn how to use them. I think I may have to slap a sticky note to my handlebars with “unclip” written on it. Oh well, I like a challenge! Cheers.
Cheers

/peiskos
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

whilst you are learning....

a) it is a good idea to have the pedal bindings set to full slack so that you can release easily, and

b) better yet if you have a worn set of cleats they can be made to release even more easily.

Used cleats often develop a step on the rearmost (vertical) part of the cleat, where there is no step in a new cleat. The cleat develops a step where the claw bears against it. If you grind the back of a worn cleat to remove the step, you may well end up with the perfect 'learner' cleat, that releases more easily than usual.

BTW PD-M520 is a logical choice, but not the only choice by any means; other SPD models are also available with a flat one side etc. PD-M520 may be bargain priced but is arguably a better pedal than the old PD-M535 model (better mud clearance, slightly lighter) but the biggest difference is in the pedal bearings. Some folk don't bother to service PD-M520 bearings at all, figuring that the pedals are cheap enough not to bother, but others do bother to adjust and relubricate the bearings. If you do this the pedal bearings just get better and better as you use them, and will outlast most of the other parts fitted to your bike. You need some ordinary spanners and a special tool (TL-PD40) but the special tool costs about £2.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Those Shimano pedals are great, and for those of us who are a bit lazy they can be very low maintenance.

As Brucey says, set the release on minimum release tension, making it easier to get in and out. Then practice releasing again and again until it becomes an automatic reaction. The standard single release cleats that come with new pedals are all you need.

After a good many years of use your pedals will look like those in the pictures and be ready for retirement.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you are starting out you can get a special cleat that is very easy to release from the pedal
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod10969

You can also get a pedal that comes with this cleat and that is very good for a first timer (or anyone that wants to use both flat and cleated shoes):
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-t400 ... tb-pedals/
My partner has these on both of her bikes and finds they work really well. They also have the advantage of coming with a pedal reflector if you want one of those. They look a little clunky so not for anyone that wants to be the cool kid on the club ride!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Practice is the key to safe use of step in pedals. But i'd add a word of caution - -I've been using various systems since the late 80's and I still have the occasional 'why won't my foot come off the pedal' incidents! I had one this week, nearly fell off at a junction as I 'forgot' how to get my foot out!

I'm not a great Shimano fan but when it comes to their SPD pedals they are pretty unbeatable for durability and reliability.

Although flat/spd pedals might seem a good idea for newbies I don't follow that logic, double sided means you always step in without having to worry that it's right side up - one thing less to worry about which is surely better when you are learning.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

peiskos wrote:Thanks for replies. I shall pick up a new set and politely return the others. Now all I have to do is learn how to use them. I think I may have to slap a sticky note to my handlebars with “unclip” written on it. Oh well, I like a challenge! Cheers.

Just make sure you unclip before you have to actually stop, in the beginning you may want to start to unclip well in advance
peiskos

Post by peiskos »

I am now the proud owner of a pair of Shimano SPD M520 Pedals. The Halfords store price was £30. They price matched themselves to their lower online price of £19.98 (cheeky). £80 for a tasty pair of shoes, pedals & cleats. Gone clipless in a weekend, happy days! I fitted the pedals and road tested them round the block without drama. I’m not getting complacent yet though, as still half expecting to topple over at some point. Thanks again for advice & guidance here.
Cheers

/peiskos
blinkered

Post by blinkered »

peiskos wrote:I am now the proud owner of a pair of Shimano SPD M520 Pedals. The Halfords store price was £30. They price matched themselves to their lower online price of £19.98 (cheeky). £80 for a tasty pair of shoes, pedals & cleats. Gone clipless in a weekend, happy days! I fitted the pedals and road tested them round the block without drama. I’m not getting complacent yet though, as still half expecting to topple over at some point. Thanks again for advice & guidance here.

I think most people will have a story about stopping without having remembered to unclip and then toppling gracefully to the ground. For example I once was coasting towards some traffic lights unclipped early and rested my foot on the pedal. The foot clipped back in without me realising and when I stopped I simply fell over :(

But persist with them and you'll find it comes naturally.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

peiskos wrote:I am now the proud owner of a pair of Shimano SPD M520 Pedals. The Halfords store price was £30. They price matched themselves to their lower online price of £19.98 (cheeky). £80 for a tasty pair of shoes, pedals & cleats. Gone clipless in a weekend, happy days! I fitted the pedals and road tested them round the block without drama. I’m not getting complacent yet though, as still half expecting to topple over at some point. Thanks again for advice & guidance here.

did you put grease in the pedal threads and the cleat bolts, yes? :wink:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Take note. The best place to learn to use SPDs is off road, preferably somewhere tricky, soft and ideally boggy. It is essential to take one or more mates with you. Not to administer 1st aid or anything like that but to ride behind you and laugh when you fail to unclip. That doesn't always at first though as it can wait until you get confident so always take a mate. One with a video camera is a better idea.
peiskos

Post by peiskos »

Gattonero wrote:did you put grease in the pedal threads and the cleat bolts, yes? :wink:

I intended to buy some with the pedals, but in the excitement of going clipless I forgot. As bike is less than one month old, there seemed to be enough residual grease in the threads to tide me over. Is there a generic grease product I can use for several components, or something specifically for pedals? It didn’t even occur to me to grease the cleat bolts. Is this necessary?

mattsccm wrote:Take note. The best place to learn to use SPDs is off road, preferably somewhere tricky, soft and ideally boggy. It is essential to take one or more mates with you. Not to administer 1st aid or anything like that but to ride behind you and laugh when you fail to unclip. That doesn't always at first though as it can wait until you get confident so always take a mate. One with a video camera is a better idea.

Bantz.
Cheers

/peiskos