Suggest a GPS computer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Suggest a GPS computer

Post by mattsccm »

A mate wants one. He has a Garmin Montana with OS maps but doesn't like it. The maps either show large enough to read but not much area or the opposite. The OSM maps on my Edge 800 work for road riding so much better. Whats stopping him adding OSM to his GPS is that it doesn't do other things easily. All he wants is basic cycling functions but not the complicated bits like training, wifi etc. The 800 is about right but not available new. Anything else simple out there? Must have colour screen. Won't use a phone as he doesn't like the screen in sunlight.
So, simple, colour screen. No mapping/routing limitations.
freeflow

Re: Suggest a GPS computer

Post by freeflow »

He could put a matt screen protector on his phone.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Is the 810 pr 820 still available? I have an 810 and it does everything my mate's 800 does with the addition of touch screen scrolling . I've recently bought my wife an 820 Explore and that has similar functionality, but is a bit smaller, the screen is about 1cm smaller lengthways. You could also try a 1000 but it's more money and may be overkill for what is needed. Or perhaps look at the the Wahoo computers, I've no personal experience of these but they seem to get good reviews.

The Edge Touring is another alternative, but I've seen some bad reviews/reports of it.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Your nearest equivalent is probably the Edge Touring. It has OSM pre-installed. Like any garmin, read the how to articles on the web about how to set it up without it driving you nuts.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I went to Argos today.
I bought a smart phone with android 5.1 and GPS with UK mapping ..... so Strava here we come ...... £14.99 .... really £14.99 ..... 12 month warranty ... and a £10 top up voucher .....
Beginning to wonder why i replaced my Garmin with a new Garmin recently.
:(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Phones are also bulky and complicated.
CJ

Post by CJ »

iandriver wrote:Your nearest equivalent is probably the Edge Touring. It has OSM pre-installed. Like any garmin, read the how to articles on the web about how to set it up without it driving you nuts.

DON'T get an Edge Touring. The darned thing insists in re-routing any route you give it, in terms of whatever mapping it has installed. That's fine for tarmac addicts who never go anywhere a car can't go, but for those of us who prefer to avoid the traffic wherever we can, who will even walk a few yards to dodge a nasty junction etc., it just doesn't work. The mapping of bike facilities is just too flaky and Garmin's logic can't deal with cycling that when expedient becomes walking! So when all you want to do is simply follow visually, the wiggly purple line, Edge Touring won't do that.

Ironic really, when you consider the nature of touring and that the more sporty Edge 800, from which the so-called Touring is derived, DOES let you turn off the re-routing business and simply follow the line.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mattsccm wrote:Phones are also bulky and complicated.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5654640

You sure ?
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

CJ wrote:
iandriver wrote:Your nearest equivalent is probably the Edge Touring. It has OSM pre-installed. Like any garmin, read the how to articles on the web about how to set it up without it driving you nuts.

DON'T get an Edge Touring. The darned thing insists in re-routing any route you give it, in terms of whatever mapping it has installed.

I've had 2 .... switch off re-route and select any route, that includes off road routes as well .... lost one and 1 stolen .... Got a Edge 25 now ...
Be more Mike.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

landsurfer wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Phones are also bulky and complicated.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5654640

You sure ?

That phone is incredibly poor quality though.

1400 mAh battery? Mine has 4100 mAh.

How far does he want to go???
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Phones are big compared with a Garmin, say an 800. They don't just switch on in my experience and many do munch the batteries. Anyway, my mate won't use his phone.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

thelawnet wrote:

Quality .. "Fitness for purpose at lowest price".
Maximum power drain .. 5 hours usage.
Of course if they put the word Rapha on the case and charged £300 you would have 2 no doubt ... :roll:
Be more Mike.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

landsurfer wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

Quality .. "Fitness for purpose at lowest price".
Maximum power drain .. 5 hours usage.
Of course if they put the word Rapha on the case and charged £300 you would have 2 no doubt ... :roll:

you what? I'm talking about a junk disposable phone versus a slightly better quality phone. nothing to do with Rapha, who I'm not exactly sure what they make but I don't think it's phones.

1400 mAh is a ridiculously small battery size, and there's only 512MB of RAM which is inadequate.

the device in question is of unnecessarily low spec.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

:) yes it is ... But will it track my ride and allow me to up load it to Strava .... If it will it is of good quality ...
Be more Mike.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

landsurfer wrote::) yes it is ... But will it track my ride and allow me to up load it to Strava .... If it will it is of good quality ...

well not for as long as a £30 phone with twice the battery life. :!: