Fork Swap?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
go4it

Fork Swap?

Post by go4it »

New to cycling (stabilisers off next week?) is it a straight forward job to change suspension forks to rigid on Specialized Hybrid Cross trail, I am trying to lighten it up, and thought I would start there, any companies I should consider to source a set of forks
TIA
rotavator

Re: Fork Swap?

Post by rotavator »

This company has a big range of forks: http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php

It is not a major job but you need to match the size of the new rigid fork to that of your current bike, e.g measure the axle to crown distance with you sitting on the bike, check steerer width, brake fittings, any eyelets that you need e.g. for mudguards, width of dropouts etc.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I did this to my 2009 Cross Trail as well as changing the riser bars to quasi drops.

Surly Ogre forks fit pretty well, about £70 from Charlie the Bikemonger last year.

I would say the weight saving was around 1 Kg but I don't think I have been cycling much faster since changeout.

I do like the Ogre forks as they have plenty of tapped holes to bolt things to which is very handy for long trips.

Here is a poor picture:

spesh.jpg

All the best, Simon
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Sheizen, I see he is selling them now for £109.99!!!!!

You'll get them cheaper if you shop around,

all the best, Simon
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Make sure you get 'suspension adjusted' geometry, if not you'll turn the bike into a low profile!

Never quite worked out why the bike co's insist on fitting suspension that at best just about moves, at worst just adds weight to this style of bike. Has to be said Spesh are particularly prone to this, it's lost them quite a few sales.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Might be worth contacting the bike manufacturer - they may have designed the frame to go with suspension forks, and it might not stand the shock loads of a rigid fork for long when you go over bumps.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !