Recommend me a head torch

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
meic

Re: Head torches

Post by meic »

I expect that Petzl Nao to be the work of the Devil. Reminiscent of the tea machine in Hitch Hikers Guide. I have developed a real loathing of any automatic computerised control of anything that I want to use, it prevents you from ever setting up anything "just right" and leaving it like that.

I dont expect for one minute that people should agree here on this forum about which is the best headtorch and when you should be obliged to carry or use one. Lets just consider the merits.

I dont like head torches but like TC says if you want to work with your hands, they are unbeatable.
I dont normally carry one on a bike because I am happy to do anything that I possibly can do in the dark. Those times of having to do fiddly bits with a cycle light clamped in my teeth are rare enough to not justify carrying a headtorch.

Fetching the coal, taking out the ashes, working under the car are all times when the headtorch is grabbed off its hook. I havent ever taken and used one while cycle touring but now I have one that runs on AA I may take it instead of the 2xAAA little front light that stays on the bike incase something goes wrong with the headlight.
Yma o Hyd
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I know the square root of not a lot about lighting, but goodness, hasn't technology advanced over the last few years.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I know the square root of not a lot about lighting, but goodness, hasn't technology advanced over the last few years.

It mostly goes into the development of toys and arms though :? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Wow, technology has really moved on since I last looked. There is now quite a range of AA headlights. The bad news is that none of them are significantly lighter than the Tikkina and its 3 AAA's. The weight saving of going from 3 AAA's to one AA is at best 10 grams, so that just does not add up, even if in many situations it will be more convenient. I also note that the fancy alluminium bodies from the likes of Fenix, Zebralight or Armytek are a bit heavier than the plastic equivalents. But they will probably keep the led cooler and therefore run more efficiently. I also noted that reviews seem mostly concerned with maximum output and runtime, and not with beam pattern. Yet that is precisely what I am most interested in, apart from weight.
Fenix have recently revamped their 1xAAA HL10, which at about 45 grams (incl battery and strap) must be the lightest headlight on the market that uses a common battery type. The bad news is of course that runtime is limited, but probably enough for one camping holiday.
meic

Post by meic »

I also note that the fancy alluminium bodies from the likes of Fenix, Zebralight or Armytek are a bit heavier than the plastic equivalents. But they will probably keep the led cooler and therefore run more efficiently.

I noticed many of the aluminium ones are IPX7 and 8 unlike the IPX6 of the better plastic ones.
So being submersible rather than just resistant to being out on a bike for hours in a downpour.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:I expect that Petzl Nao to be the work of the Devil. Reminiscent of the tea machine in Hitch Hikers Guide. I have developed a real loathing of any automatic computerised control of anything that I want to use, it prevents you from ever setting up anything "just right" and leaving it like that. ...

My interpretation of the American-oriented blurb is that it's aimed at night-time orienteering which is surely something of a niche activity. For any road warriors, the big ... turn-off :roll: must be that it dims as other light gets brighter. It does have its own computerised system for setting personal preferences. Perhaps there's a forum user who owns or has used one and can clarify if there's an option along the lines of "limo approaching with xenon headlights on main beam, give a full blast on strobe." :shock:
meic

Post by meic »

Sidetracking here on to my hobbyhorse, it is the act of having to program in order to do basic functions.
I long for lights, music players, operating systems that just come on at a push of a button without having to establish playlists, set up preferences, connect to servers etc etc and then have to go through it all again for some pathetic reason.

I am fed up with compulsory choice.
Yma o Hyd
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The more expensive alluminium ones seem to be rather better made, and they had better be for the price. In practice, my only problems with headlights have been the switches. Hopefully those on the fancy lights will be better.
The Fenix HL10 model 2016 is not that much more expensive than cheap plastic lights. My guess is that the 1xAAA form factor is waiting for better batteries. Recent AAA Eneloops are aproaching 950 mAh already, whereas the HL10's specifications imply a 750mAh battery, so real life battery life may already be a bit better.
Last edited by willem jongman on 7 Nov 2016, 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:Sidetracking here on to my hobbyhorse, it is the act of having to program in order to do basic functions.
I long for lights, music players, operating systems that just come on at a push of a button without having to establish playlists, set up preferences, connect to servers etc etc and then have to go through it all again for some pathetic reason.

Hobbyhorse or not you're spot on....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RickH

Post by RickH »

My usual head torch is an ageing Exposure Joystick Mk1 combined with a headband (~1" wide webbing with a velcro fastening) that has an elasticated sleeve on one side designed to fit a torch. It rarely gets used on the bike as a light these days, but is there as a backup, as I have a more powerful light that does a better job of lighting my way.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
khain

Post by khain »

I used to own a headtorch that looked just like one of those but under a different brand. I have a Petzl now. The Petzl is miles better - brighter, more settings, more reliable. I found the older one kept getting switched on by accident when in my bag and was bulky compared to the Petzl.

I wouldn't trust online reviews much these days. They're about as reliable as some random bloke on an internet forum. :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Resurrecting this thread as I've noticed this model from Black Diamond.
Seems to tick all the boxes: reasonable weight, good light output, very good battery life, can use rechargeable via the built-in micro-usb or 3xAAA batteries.
Claimed up to 25hrs in brightest setting or up to 180hrs in eco run; surely less with the rechargeable batteries, but good enough for two days, plus the convenience of recharging via hubdynamo?
Sounds like a winner, though not the cheapest.

https://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/he ... 1_cfg.html
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

looks nice gatto but why o why do folk design stuff that needs 3 AAAs?
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

In terms of weight and available power, 3 x AAA = 1 x AA.
LEDs require a certain voltage to work (about 3.3V), and transforming the 1.2V of a single AA up has enough of an efficiency hit that run time is significantly affected.
3 x AA is too heavy for an all-in-one headtorch, so such models generally have a separate battery box at the back of the head.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
meic wrote:Sidetracking here on to my hobbyhorse, it is the act of having to program in order to do basic functions.

Hobbyhorse or not you're spot on....

There is a new academic discipline, *usability*. Tries to ensure new devices can easily be switched on, intuitively
Seems to work, I hardly used the instructions when I got my smart phone. Did not use the thick Book of Words. Thick but written in a dozen languages so there is not much info in it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies