Recommend me a head torch

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Head torches

Post by Gattonero »

andrew_s wrote:In terms of weight and available power, 3 x AAA = 1 x AA.
LEDs require a certain voltage to work (about 3.3V), and transforming the 1.2V of a single AA up has enough of an efficiency hit that run time is significantly affected.
3 x AA is too heavy for an all-in-one headtorch, so such models generally have a separate battery box at the back of the head.

That is a good explanation. Thanks
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Black Diamond HL looks to be good kit and I've no doubt it is but unless it's to be used regularly and pack size/weight is a necessity, 60euro(£52-£55) is on the high side of unreasonable IMO if not.
OTOH many people will pay that for something they rarely use like Leatherman tools for example,personally with tools I save my money for the most used tools

I suspect Gattonero will disagree with me on that :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

reohn2 wrote:The Black Diamond HL looks to be good kit and I've no doubt it is but unless it's to be used regularly and pack size/weight is a necessity, 60euro(£52-£55) is on the high side of unreasonable IMO if not.
OTOH many people will pay that for something they rarely use like Leatherman tools for example,personally with tools I save my money for the most used tools

I suspect Gattonero will disagree with me on that :wink:

Not really.
That lamp is useful for the frequent user. Save money in batteries -and save the environment!- by charging your headlamp from your front wheel. How good is that? :D
I agree it may not be the perfect choice for the occasional user, although a headlamp is not useful only for cycling: it proved invaluable when I was fixing my sewing machine, having good light in the darkest corner of that piece of German engineering, with hands free. Really useful.

Leatherman should make a proper cycling tool, without those "urban survival" features that are useless for most, and putting on what's really needed.
IMO, the Victorinox Trailmaster is just what it needs as far as "outdoor knife".

Btw, you can find last year's Black Diamond Revolt for £42, or the new model for £46 8)
Blag

Post by Blag »

I could bore most people about headtorches. I own more than a few. I've got a nao, nao 2. I owned then sold the Nao +. I've got a myo rxp, led lenser h7r. Had and sold the led lenser xeo 19 r. to name a small few. Out of all the headtorches I've owned the Nao and nao 2 are equally the best by far. Great battery life on Reactive setting and loads of light for night time trail running. Would definitely be my go to headtorch rechargeable battery would last most people a week but can be backed up with aaa in an emergency
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Blag wrote:I could bore most people about headtorches. I own more than a few. I've got a nao, nao 2. I owned then sold the Nao +. I've got a myo rxp, led lenser h7r. Had and sold the led lenser xeo 19 r. to name a small few. Out of all the headtorches I've owned the Nao and nao 2 are equally the best by far. Great battery life on Reactive setting and loads of light for night time trail running. Would definitely be my go to headtorch rechargeable battery would last most people a week but can be backed up with aaa in an emergency

Those Petzl Nao/Nao2 seem overkill for the cyclo tourist/camper.
Bear in mind that quite a few people would rely on a dedicated good front light on the bicycle, so a 500+lumen headtorch is sort of redundant unless doing lots of road/off-road at night?

If the purpose is to use it on the helmet while riding, I would consider the stats: 1hr 30' on 430 lumens for 180gr and about £140.
You can get an Exposure light with a lot more battery juice, half the weight, same -if not better- brightness, half the price of the Petzl above.
Blag

Post by Blag »

Petzl e lite in the pocket usually when I'm on the bike. Yeah the Nao is overkill. Didn't read all the posts. My bag

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Petzl_eLite_ ... oCFhfw_wcB
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

No worries, it's actually useful to get more heands-on info. Have you used the Nao as a HL while riding and/or combined with another front light?
Blag

Post by Blag »

The band system that holds it on your head is very effective but I wasn't able to position it right on my bike helmet so gave up trying
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

2017-05-27 21.23.31.jpg

I bought this Coleman one today for a tenner from Blacks - now it has got dark enough to assess it - it seems to be perfect for what i want - night mechanicals, map reading, tent erecting and camping chores - nice diffuse wide spread of light - two levels - easy to hand nice big switch - in fact I might go back tomorrow and buy another

edit - like it more and more - sits on the forehead nicely - and because the beam is not focused I dont have to adjust the angle (in fact there is no adjustment) when im doing different things - and because of the shape of the beam I also have no need to move my head to look for things

edit 2 - and ive discovered i can wear it under the peak of a BB cap :D - my normal on the bike touring head gear
hufty

Post by hufty »

I recently got a Silverpoint Ranger Pro. Basically a Tikka-like, but a lot brighter than what it replaced because LEDs have moved on. It does hinge up and down, it's got a red light facility to preserve night vision which I like, it's got an emergency whistle built in to the strap. Main reason I got it is because it's got a micro USB port so you can recharge whatever rechargeable batteries you've got in it using whatever recharge method you normally use. Sorry they're still AAAs though!
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

psmiffy wrote:2017-05-27 21.23.31.jpg

I bought this Coleman one today for a tenner from Blacks -

Which model is that smiffy? They do several that look similar - all on sale at Ultimate Outdoors (Blacks is part of that group) at the mo and an extra 20 per cent off with a code.
Sweep
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Sweep wrote:

Which model is that smiffy? They do several that look similar - all on sale at Ultimate Outdoors (Blacks is part of that group) at the mo and an extra 20 per cent off with a code.

No idea I thought they were all the same - just different colours - I've used it most days for the last 6 weeks - perfect for what I want - tent erecting/things in the tent and roadside - nice diffuse wide beam - don't actually need to be looking directly at things to see them - usable economic light on low - good and bright on high but eats batteries - and didn't turn itself on when packed away

(As opposed to the mega lux one that someone was setting up a tent with last night next to me - was blinding me through two thicknesses of tent and with my eyes closed - words were said :) )
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

psmiffy wrote:
Sweep wrote:

No idea I thought they were all the same - just different colours - I've used it most days for the last 6 weeks - perfect for what I want - tent erecting/things in the tent and roadside - nice diffuse wide beam - don't actually need to be looking directly at things to see them - usable economic light on low - good and bright on high but eats batteries - and didn't turn itself on when packed away

(As opposed to the mega lux one that someone was setting up a tent with last night next to me - was blinding me through two thicknesses of tent and with my eyes closed - words were said :) )

:) thanks for the reply.

Be interested to know what the offending party's response was.

The perils of buying on "performance" specs - but all good for us who buy on appropriate performance for the application.
Sweep
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I could not find that Coleman light on their website, unfortunately.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've just got a new headtorch, to replace a Tikka XP2 that's got one of the clips holding the front and back halves of the body together broken.
(Zebralight H600Fw II, clicky image)
It's an 18650 powered light offering 6 brightness levels between 960 lumens (2 hours) and 0.06 lumens (4.5 months), as currently set. It's nice to have a light that can be used without wrecking your night vision (eg finding something in your saddlebag, or a keyhole).
Proper non-blue neutral colour (4400K), a nice smooth floody (non)beam. Versions with a regular torch beam for distance work available if that's your preference.
Maximum battery size is 69 mm long, 18.4 mm diameter. The 18 x 65 mm specfication size is for the as manufactured cell, and adding the overcharge/over-discharge protection than most consumer 18650s have adds 3-5 mm length, and a fraction on the diameter.

As an extra bonus, when selecting an 18650 to put in it, I found that you can now get them with a micro-USB port in the side, for charging without a charger. Plugged in to the PC at work, it took about 5 hours before the green LED came on, with the battery never getting more than mildly warm. I'd guess that it's taking 0.5A.
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/products/ ... ttery.html