Cyclo spoke threading tool.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Cyclo spoke threading tool.

Post by mattsccm »

As on Alf Webb's website.
Any good? I have several wheels worth of nice spokes that are about 2mm too long for projected builds. With good lubrication, do the heads last? Anything else?
tatanab

Re: Cyclo spoke threading tool.

Post by tatanab »

Fine. Years ago I had an original. About 5 years ago I bought from Alf Webb. The rollers are meant for rustless spokes and will not last long on stainless. Like my usage, you only need to extend the threads a bit so it will be fine - I've done this on about 150 spokes and the rolling heads still seem ok.
Brucey

Re: Cyclo spoke threading tool.

Post by Brucey »

I've rolled thousands of stainless steel spokes using mine, but I keep everything very well oiled (more oil with every spoke).

New rolling heads are not expensive (any LBS that stocks weldtite products ought to be able to get them in for you, or buy from SJS) and I know folk who just use a rolling head with a cordless drill. The trick is to mount the rolling head on a mandrel that is not only used in the drill chuck for holding the rolling head, but is also adjusted so that it works as a depth stop for the spoke threads. Provided the drill is set to a low torque limit it will just stop when the spoke hits the depth stop.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~