Bottom Bracket for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year).

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CREPELLO

Re: Bottom Bracket for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year).

Post by CREPELLO »

It's a steel Spa Audax. I suppose that with the 28.6 seat tube, that would be another point in favour of the 111. Thinking that I want optimum chainline for best gear shift response from the front mech (which is a Shimano flat bar Ultegra FD run of Campag Ultrashifters). God only knows what the optimum chainline for that would be then :lol:
hamster

Post by hamster »

They always say 115 for frames with fatter seat tubes as the front mech can struggle to get to the small ring. However 111mm works fine for me on a 31.8mm seat tube and a Centaur triple (the same forging as Racing T and Comp Triple).
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Good to know Hamster, thanks.

Trying to root out some old info on the Centaur BB, I've found this 2006 spares catalogue which on page 7 gives somes basic info, but no reccomendation for the paired chainset. Unlike for the Record/Chorus range where the 111mm BB is actually called a Triple...
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Main limitation is the size of the seat tube.
On a 28,6 and 31,6 seat tubes the 111 mm BB is fine, on bigger seat tubes you'll need the 115 mm.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not necessarily true.
BB shells (Modern British) are all the same width, it's where the front mech is positioned on the seat tube that matters.
31.6mm compared to 28.6mm is a difference of only 1.5mm radius.

I have the 111mm Chorus BB with a triple Chorus chainset on a 28.6mm Mercian. The front mech will move maybe 2 or 3mm further in than I have it set.

Before I fitted the 111mm Chorus BB, I had a 115mm Mirage/Veloce BB (since sold) and that worked fine.

I think I'm correct in saying, that you don't need the 115mm BB on any "normal" bike. Possibly do need one with a very chunky seat tube.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

CREPELLO wrote:Evening all. Resurrecting this thread as I have a similar question.

A while back I acquired a nice NOS Comp Triple chainset which I mounted on a 107mm UN55 BB (am I bad then? :twisted: ). It's ok short term - with good chainline, but I don't want to risk any deformation of the cranks, so I'm trying to ID the correct Campag BB. I have the modern ST mounting tool, so that restricts me to Centaur, Chorus or Record or other brands.

Question is should I fit a 111mm or 115mm model? The Comp Triple is the same pattern as Veloce/Centaur. Some internet noise suggests it should be 115, but there is also much talk about 111mm length fitting triples.

Confused..

IME you get a +2.0-1.5mm when using a Shimano JIS bb unit on Campag cranks, so I'd say to try a Campagnolo 111mm to start, especially if you have steel or non-oversized seat tube.
In the meantime I'd advise to make as less miles as possible on the current Campag cranks+Shimano JIS bb, the taper interface is not optimal (the axle/crank engagement is reduced)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
PH

Post by PH »

slowster wrote:
On their ebay site High on Bikes <snip>
they also sell a Tifosi 111mm bottom bracket on ebay which they say is "suitable for 2006 Xenon, Mirage, Veloce and Centaur double chainsets and older models also. Also Chorus and Record Triple Chainsets":

I followed this advice from slowster last year and the Tifosi 111mm is fine with my record triple chainset, on a steel frame.