Bottom Bracket for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year).

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
english john

Bottom Bracket for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year).

Post by english john »

Does anyone know if there is a listing which shows which bottom bracket I need for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year) ?

Having just 'googled' the question - it seems a bit illusive!

If anyone can help that would be great
tatanab

Re: Bottom Bracket for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year).

Post by tatanab »

You need a Chorus or Record triple (111) bottom bracket. Not a Centaur or Veloce etc. The Chorus and Record are asymmetrical whereas the others are symmetrical. Those are the descriptions from the Campag bottom bracket fitting instructions I have.

When I last looked for a BB, about 18 months ago, I found a number of places with Italian threaded ones, but finding an English threaded one was not so easy.

Edit - of course this depends how fussy you are because all sorts of things that are not ideal will work ok.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW you can use a BB that is shorter than this on some frames, and I think it gives a better chainline. On other frames a shorter BB will cause the small chainring to clash with the chainstay, or similar.

You need a BB with an ISO taper on it BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Would a Shimano UN55 work?
slowster

Post by slowster »

You need a Chorus or Record triple (111) bottom bracket. Not a Centaur or Veloce etc. The Chorus and Record are asymmetrical whereas the others are symmetrical.

As per tatanab's comments, Campagnolo made 111mm bottom brackets for double chainsets for the Centaur groupset amongst others (whereas the bottom brackets for Chorus and Record double chainsets were 102mm).

According to Token's website here https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/road/iso-square-taper-185, the 111mm version, e.g. model no. TK8671CM, is for a triple, which implies that it is like the Chorus and Record 111mm bottom brackets. That said, I note that they do not offer a 111mm version for double chainsets, which makes me wonder, since I would have assumed that there would be a larger demand for 111mm double chainset bottom brackets given likely higher sales of the lower tier groupsets.

On their ebay site High on Bikes sell the TK8671CM model but say that it is "suitable for Campagnolo double chainsets", whereas they also sell a Tifosi 111mm bottom bracket on ebay which they say is "suitable for 2006 Xenon, Mirage, Veloce and Centaur double chainsets and older models also. Also Chorus and Record Triple Chainsets":

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Token-Carbon-Square-Taper-Campagnolo-Bottom-Bracket-English-111mm-/311142730771

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tifosi-Carbon-Campagnolo-Fit-Bottom-Bracket-111mm-English/311126596382?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49481%26meid%3D73eab4d2eb574b09a914a9de3a32f866%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D311142730771&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
Last edited by slowster on 29 Nov 2017, 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

Post by Graham »

De Sisti wrote:Would a Shimano UN55 work?

No, alas, the Japanese std taper does not match. It must be ISO.
Graham

Post by Graham »

For my "2001 Racing Triple" I eventually bought this Campag Centaur BB . . ..

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/23562/Campa ... om-Bracket

What I was looking for was confirmation that it was similar to the old ACH type.

It works well with no problems.

In fact I bought a backup spare at the same time . . . hoping that they would last me out.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

tatanab wrote:You need a Chorus or Record triple (111) bottom bracket. Not a Centaur or Veloce etc. The Chorus and Record are asymmetrical whereas the others are symmetrical. Those are the descriptions from the Campag bottom bracket fitting instructions I have.

Campagnolo can tell what they want , I do what I want.
I've used a Centaur 111 mm for years on my Chorus triple crankset, troublefree and after checking with a Record 111 mm triple BB it turned out that the chainline was amost equal.
I wouldn't bother finding a Chorus/Record one, they are more expensive and the Centaur is of similar construction with 3 replacable cartridge bearings.
The difference in chainline is app. 1,5 mm and even better on the Centaur (to the center), the only problem you could possibly have is a frame with a fat seat tube (> 34 mm) which can limit the front mech to the inside.
Left Record 111 mm, right Centaur 111 mm .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

tatanab wrote:You need a Chorus or Record triple (111) bottom bracket. Not a Centaur or Veloce etc. The Chorus and Record are asymmetrical whereas the others are symmetrical. Those are the descriptions from the Campag bottom bracket fitting instructions I have.
Not completely true.

I have a 2006 Chorus Triple and a Chorus 111mm BB
I also have a 112mm Veloce BB

The Chorus BB is described as asymmetrical but in actual fact, it is symmetrical.
The Veloce BB is described as symmetrical but in actual fact, it is asymmetrical.

This is FACT.

The issue, I reckon, is that the Italian versions are as described, but the English ones are not. I think that the Italian BB shells are are different width and it's that that makes the descriptions incorrect and the Italian versions fit Italian shells like that. It's Mr Campag being lazy with the English version facts.

Please note:
Both of my BBs are fine with my Chorus Triple chainset as it's the LH side that is the asymmetrical part and the LH crank sits 1mm further out. The RH chainset side is the same, so the chainline is the same.
Mick F. Cornwall
english john

Post by english john »

Thanks everyone for your help.
I have bitten the bullet on the Tifosi one!

All the best

John
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

english john wrote:Does anyone know if there is a listing which shows which bottom bracket I need for a Campag Chorus Triple chainset (2006 year) ?

Having just 'googled' the question - it seems a bit illusive!

If anyone can help that would be great

keep in mind the diameter of the seat tube also, on OS frames (like 34.9-35mm) and sometimes even on the more standard 31.8mm seat tubes, you may have the inner links of the FD touching the frame. Sometimes you can sort this by lightly filing the inner side of the FD link touching the frame
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pq

Post by pq »

I'm using a 111mm centaur bb with a record triple chainset and it works fine. That's not to say it'll work on your frame though.
One link to your website is enough. G
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Also running problem free with Centaur 111 and record triple.
And problem free with Racint T on a Centaur triple
And problem free with a Comp triple on a veloce 111
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Evening all. Resurrecting this thread as I have a similar question.

A while back I acquired a nice NOS Comp Triple chainset which I mounted on a 107mm UN55 BB (am I bad then? :twisted: ). It's ok short term - with good chainline, but I don't want to risk any deformation of the cranks, so I'm trying to ID the correct Campag BB. I have the modern ST mounting tool, so that restricts me to Centaur, Chorus or Record or other brands.

Question is should I fit a 111mm or 115mm model? The Comp Triple is the same pattern as Veloce/Centaur. Some internet noise suggests it should be 115, but there is also much talk about 111mm length fitting triples.

Confused..
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

depends on the frame. I suggest that if it is a road frame with a 68mm shell and chainstays that are not set too wide apart, you should try 111mm and see how you get on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~