Non-aero brakes on modern bicycle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Re: Non-aero brakes on modern bicycle

Post by Samuel D »

The BL-1050 levers look great. Anyone know if they are compatible with Super SLR callipers? Function should be excellent with the ideal cable path, and replacing the outer housing periodically would be so beautifully easy. Of course finding replacement hoods would be hard and expensive.

Maybe something for me to think about when I eventually order my custom steel frame!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I own an 80s Raleigh Clubman. It was fitted with DTs, Aero levers and long drop brakes when I purchased it. A lovely simple bike to ride, but I was never happy with the brakes. Also the Aero levers were smooth and in heavy rain my hands used to slip on the smooth surface. Disconcerting when descending. I had to do something about it.
In my spares box I had some old Weinnmann non-aero levers with a dimpled grippy surface. They are also very light. I easily installed them and the difference in braking power is unbelievable. Very powerful and a confident grip. I don't know why, but I suspect the more direct cable pull has something to do with it. I like the look as well. The only downside for me is the slim, hard rubber hoods. I've solved this for now by fitting some old inner tube around the hoods till I can come up with a better solution.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Samuel D wrote:The BL-1050 levers look great. Anyone know if they are compatible with Super SLR callipers? Function should be excellent with the ideal cable path, and replacing the outer housing periodically would be so beautifully easy. Of course finding replacement hoods would be hard and expensive.

Maybe something for me to think about when I eventually order my custom steel frame!

I think there is a slight mismatch in lever pull such that you will have more than enough power with super SLR calipers (i.e. first generation DPs, not NSSLR ones) but the running clearance will likely be a bit less than normal.

I think that Dia Compe 204/202 lever hoods may fit OK, provided you are happy to carefully dress them to fit the trim pieces at the opening.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~