New tyres time! Advice needed.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

New tyres time! Advice needed.

Postby Tangled Metal » 4 Dec 2017, 10:04am

A week off cycling for "being lazy" purposes had led me to cycle commuting with renewed vigour. Well it would if my tyre wasn't flat when I got my bike out. I'd put the slightly knobbly tyres the bike came with back on because I had planned an off road ride that never happened.

So the choice of tyre I have in stock are planetx cyclocross tyres, Vittoria hypers or marathon plusses. I'm bored with them. What's a reasonably priced, tough tyre that's good on the roads but can cope with easy mtb trails (with junior in tow so nothing hard)?

There's some schwalbe marathon tyres with a bit of a nibble I think. Anything else?

old_windbag

Re: New tyres time! Advice needed.

Postby old_windbag » 4 Dec 2017, 11:14am

Not sure if on 26" or 700c but if the latter I've found these fine for many years now and relatively cheap.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-sammy-slick-performance-folding-cross-tyre-700c-x-35mm-52958.html

I haven't towed a child with them though!

mjr

Postby mjr » 4 Dec 2017, 11:34am

I've used Michelin Country Trail in the past, although I suspect any of their XC tyres would also be fine for road and gentle MTB trails.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 4 Dec 2017, 2:04pm

What is it that you don't like about the tyres you currently have available? That might help guide the recommendations, in particular what is wrong with the planet-x CX tyres, as many would likely recommend something similar.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 4 Dec 2017, 2:13pm

gloomyandy wrote:What is it that you don't like about the tyres you currently have available? That might help guide the recommendations, in particular what is wrong with the planet-x CX tyres, as many would likely recommend something similar.

Or indeed the Vittoria Hypers? What size and spec are they (Randonneur, Voyager etc.) - if you are bored with them and want to give them away I might be interested!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 4 Dec 2017, 3:01pm

Well it's their Areo tyres. I guess it's the punctures. I has always been very rare for me to get them. I had a set of tyres for 7 years once before I started to get punctures a lot. That was a long time ago. I simply not used to getting punctures.

Next up I went armour proof with marathon pluses at 38mm IIRC. Doesn't fit my replacement mudguards last time I tried them. Same guards and tyres as before, fitted by me in the same way, but don't fit now. I think the guards could have moved since because there looks a bit more clearance on the same nominal size Areo tyres so might fit now. They just seem too much and feel too slow and heavy.

Voyager Hypers are 32mm. I want 35 or 38mm now. They don't feel too good in the wet to me. I had a wet ride one day and managed to wheel spin them in a way I've never done before on other tyres. I think I'll keep them for summer season. I need a winter season tyre now (no spikes though).

Preferably the tyre should have decent rolling with the same puncture resistance as hypers or marathons of possible. Ideally with a bit more tread / grip for winter use (no ice risk or spikes needed).

I want a miracle tyre that can do everything. I don't ask for much! :wink:

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 4 Dec 2017, 3:06pm

Give away? As long as I have space to store them... Sorry, apart from the Areo tyres I'll probably use them all again at some point.

I suddenly realized that you can easily change tyres so why not match the tyres to your immediate needs. Hence the new tyre urge. I'm in that winter / mixed surface need right now.

The Areo tyres were the closest I had to that but I can't really trust them with punctures. My old hybrid from Specialized had a decent tyre. Nobbly corners and a less stippled centre. Nice rubber accord to the guy from Wheelbase. Seems he's into tyres (or did he say rubber?)!

fossala

Postby fossala » 4 Dec 2017, 3:31pm

How about Panaracer Tour guard?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/700-x ... e-700-622/

I just got some 38mm Vittoria voyager hypers in the post for a build but it looks like you ruled them out.

s1965c

Postby s1965c » 4 Dec 2017, 4:52pm

Isn't the default answer to this Schwalbe Landcruisers?
_________
LEJoG slug

Roadster

Postby Roadster » 4 Dec 2017, 5:12pm

In my personal experience, the Panaracer Pasela TGs are not as puncture resistant as I'd hoped - in fact, I swapped them out for the sadly discontinued Vittoria Randonneur Pros for exactly that reason, and got more comfort as well as fewer punctures.

RickH

Postby RickH » 5 Dec 2017, 1:06am

I've been running the 40mm Hypers for most of this year (having finally got a bike that could fit bigger tyres).

They seem to hold their own on the road, compared to my previous 28mm tyres, & offroad I've not found I've struggled when out with the local roughstuff folk, even though they are almost all on MTBs these days.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Dec 2017, 1:44pm

My 32mm hypersensitivity slid around when I tried a bit of off road on some of the 7 stanes. Nice easy routes as I was with my young son at the time. So I thought they'd be OK. It's rocky and rooty terrain they didn't manage. Plus any mud at all and I wheel spin. Ended up digging myself into the mud before it finally released me one time. Lucky as I didn't have a change of footwear if I'd had to put my foot down into the muddy puddle.

My Aries could have handled it better. I have done some rougher trails in the lakes on them but they're like Swiss cheese these days. They only have to look at thorns to get a puncture.

Di the randonneur hypers have more of a tread on them?

AdamS

Postby AdamS » 6 Dec 2017, 10:47am

s1965c wrote:Isn't the default answer to this Schwalbe Landcruisers?

+1

Tangled Metal wrote:There's some schwalbe marathon tyres with a bit of a nibble I think.

Marathon Mondial, Marathon Plus Tour

Anything else?

Schwalbe Silento & Hurricane. Conti CountryPlus