1 inch forks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

1 inch forks

Post by webber »

hi all while out on a ride today i had someone pull out on me (very nice lady gave me a lift home etc) which has twisted my the forks on my moser tk1 and as theres not much chance on finding replacement moser forks im left with a problem that im going to have to put carbon 1 inch forks on but that seems to mean ahead stem ect which there are not a lot off options im not sure which way to go still a bit sore but love the bike any help would be great
Brucey

Re: 1 inch forks

Post by Brucey »

if the forks are not badly deformed it may be possible to cold set them so that they track correctly again. No lesser person than Dave Yates reckons you can have several goes at this in most cases. I advise checking carefully for cracks and repeating this inspection at regular intervals thereafter.

For a few years folk enthusiastically 'upgraded' their bikes from quill to to 1" CF ahead forks, which means that there are loads of pairs of forks which might do for your bike, that occasionally appear on e-bay.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
webber

Post by webber »

Brucey wrote:if the forks are not badly deformed it may be possible to cold set them so that they track correctly again. No lesser person than Dave Yates reckons you can have several goes at this in most cases. I advise checking carefully for cracks and repeating this inspection at regular intervals thereafter.

For a few years folk enthusiastically 'upgraded' their bikes from quill to to 1" CF ahead forks, which means that there are loads of pairs of forks which might do for your bike, that occasionally appear on e-bay.

cheers

cheers brucey
it looks like one of the forks have straighten out not a lot but enough to make the wheel look buckled when its not if that make much sense i love the bike and im a fan of quill stems the car took the front out pulling out at a t junction i was only doing 10 to 15 mph and the car just pulled away so no real speed dont want to put a claim in doesn't really benefit anyone but the driver cant afford much ether
webber

Post by webber »

cheers but mine is quite a bit newer silver brazed from 2001 lovey looking forks though
mig

Post by mig »

can't a framebuilder knock you up a lookalike set?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Blimey, for that price you could talk to Mercian, Argos, Dave Yates or others about making replacements. Better than carbon on a bike like that.
webber

Post by webber »

mig wrote:can't a framebuilder knock you up a lookalike set?

im thinking that might be the best option jus how much???
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Condor do some quite nice off-the-peg chromed 1 inch forks, they seem to have changed the crown since I last bought some though, but maybe worth a look?

https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/forks/products/curved-chrome-fork-1-threaded
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/forks/products/straight-chrome-fork-1-threaded

Brick Lane bikes may also be worth a quick look but a lot of their forks are track forks so either undrilled for brakes, and/or very short offset so might not be suitable.

Any decent frame builder will be able to sort you out too but I'd be surprised if you got change from £200 for anything half decent and painted.

Otherwise eBay for a bargain but you might have to wait for something appropriate to pop up at a non-ludicrous price :roll:
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mercian quote £195 plus finish. Argos quote £150-250. Couldn't find prices for Dave Yates. There are other frame-builders. Worth making contact to discuss your situation - they might be able to repair what you have in some way?
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Not sure about chrome, but if it’s a steel fork you want I think Lee cooper will knock you one up for closer to £75 - though his prices may have gone up.
Slight topic hijack, I am after getting s steel fork made, what are the dimensions I need to check to be sure they match the old forks?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
webber

Post by webber »

amediasatex wrote:Condor do some quite nice off-the-peg chromed 1 inch forks, they seem to have changed the crown since I last bought some though, but maybe worth a look?

https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/forks/products/curved-chrome-fork-1-threaded
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/forks/products/straight-chrome-fork-1-threaded

Brick Lane bikes may also be worth a quick look but a lot of their forks are track forks so either undrilled for brakes, and/or very short offset so might not be suitable.

Any decent frame builder will be able to sort you out too but I'd be surprised if you got change from £200 for anything half decent and painted.

Otherwise eBay for a bargain but you might have to wait for something appropriate to pop up at a non-ludicrous price :roll:

i like the looks of them they are slx how would that compare to what i had the frame is deda uno not sure about the forks but they where top of the range when new
mig

Post by mig »

breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

webber wrote:hi all while out on a ride today i had someone pull out on me (very nice lady gave me a lift home etc) which has twisted my the forks on my moser tk1 and as theres not much chance on finding replacement moser forks im left with a problem that im going to have to put carbon 1 inch forks on but that seems to mean ahead stem ect which there are not a lot off options im not sure which way to go still a bit sore but love the bike any help would be great

It was her fault, she has insurance and it`s a lovely bike; why not get made a suitable replacement made? The cost of it is virtually nothing in terms of an insurance clain. Are you quite sure the frame isn`t damaged?
Giving you a lift home is the very least she could do! :roll:
webber

Post by webber »

breakwellmz wrote:
webber wrote:hi all while out on a ride today i had someone pull out on me (very nice lady gave me a lift home etc) which has twisted my the forks on my moser tk1 and as theres not much chance on finding replacement moser forks im left with a problem that im going to have to put carbon 1 inch forks on but that seems to mean ahead stem ect which there are not a lot off options im not sure which way to go still a bit sore but love the bike any help would be great

It was her fault, she has insurance and it`s a lovely bike; why not get made a suitable replacement made? The cost of it is virtually nothing in terms of an insurance clain. Are you quite sure the frame isn`t damaged?
Giving you a lift home is the very least she could do! :roll:

yes had the lbs check it over wasnt doing any real speed 10-15 mph and her foot slipped off the brake and pulled out in front of me she has already offerd to pay so no need to go though the insurance :)