Best Buff/Neckwarmer there is?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
itaa

Best Buff/Neckwarmer there is?

Post by itaa »

Recently I bought a cheapo £2 neckwarmer to try this garment type out, and Instantly fell in love with it ( well with the idea/function of one ,not the crap synthetic one I bought).

Can you suggest which one is a really nice one, MUST BE Merino or Cashmere,
I looked at the Original Buff one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/buff-merino-wool/
however seems like its really really thin from the reviews online , my current cheapo is also really thin and it just lets the wind through... Must be something that is at least 55cm+ long, The Originall BUFF one is 65cm which would be ideal however not really sure if its suitable for any colder/windier days due to how thin it is.

I'm also playing around with the idea of just getting some cashmere jumper from thriftshop and making one myself as you can't really buy cashmere ones due to how expensive/rare they are, I have a few merino and a few cashmere jumpers, the cashmere is so so much warmer/better than merino when cycling even tho merino already is very gut material.
Psamathe

Re: Best Buff/Neckwarmer there is?

Post by Psamathe »

I have one from http://www.buffwear.co.uk. Mine is a thin one and good quality. They have a very wide range available (some a lot warmer). Widely available from many shops and online.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Icebreaker, Smartwool are a couple that come to mind. Doubt you'd get 60cms though - seems very long indeed.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I have the buff merino one and it is thin but you double it up and it’s brilliant!
jamesbradbury

Post by jamesbradbury »

I've been using buffs when cycling for more than ten years. Until recently I've always had the thin original ones from Buff and one of their "polar" buffs with an extra fleecy but in one end. I've usually paid 15-20 quid for these and they've lasted for years. I've always found them warm enough, especially if folded over when really frosty.

I recently got a couple of cheap imitations from planet X for about £3 each. As far as I can tell the just as good as the original ones, but it's early days.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Nexus 5X using hovercraft full of eels.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

https://www.edzlayering.com

Check these guys out. I think they're supposed to be good. Local to North Cumbria. Started off making motorcycle clothing (base layers, liner gloves, neck tubes, etc.), then spread out into outdoor clothing for walkers. A good few years ago one of their fleeces got a best buy from a walking magazine.

They used to have a shop in Keswick but I think it closed. Mail order now.

They do mostly merino and do it cheaper than mainstream players like icebreaker, buff, etc.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:https://www.edzlayering.com

Check these guys out. I think they're supposed to be good. Local to North Cumbria. Started off making motorcycle clothing (base layers, liner gloves, neck tubes, etc.), then spread out into outdoor clothing for walkers. A good few years ago one of their fleeces got a best buy from a walking magazine.

They used to have a shop in Keswick but I think it closed. Mail order now.

They do mostly merino and do it cheaper than mainstream players like icebreaker, buff, etc.

Post no. 6 on here by Vickster is worth a read, highlighting a practice I had no knowledge of.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/best- ... st-5069596
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

As long as you're willing to pay the Rapha tax, their merino collars and deep winter collars are utterly brilliant as neckwear. Because they're shaped and not just simple tubes they cover all the gaps that wind can slip in through. The normal collars are long enough to be pulled up over mouth and ears if necessary; the deep winter one is heavier-weight and can be worn as a balaclava as well. I run fairly warm, so I've never found the need to get the deep winter one, but I've got three or four of the merino collars picked up in sales over the years; they're fine down to about freezing for me, and if necessary I just add another on top. Merino isn't ever going to be fully windproof, mind, but if it's blowy enough to be an issue I'll always have zipped up my jersey, and will probably be wearing a windshell on top.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JakobW wrote:As long as you're willing to pay the Rapha tax, their merino collars and deep winter collars are utterly brilliant as neckwear.
Sound very good indeed and I'm very much tempted, so I searched on Google for one.

All sold out. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
hemo

Post by hemo »

I find it is more down to personnel preference and how your body feels the cold as everyone is different.
Generally I am always quite warm and in my 50's now get to warm when riding.
I have an original buff from Buffwear.co.uk, though it is thin I find it very comfortable and warm enough when warn in the balaclava style and although not completely wind resistant manages to keep me comfortably warm . I have a full face part merino balaclava and find this much to warm except on the very coldest of days.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

hemo wrote:I find it is more down to personnel preference and how your body feels the cold as everyone is different.
Generally I am always quite warm and in my 50's now get to warm when riding.
I have an original buff from Buffwear.co.uk, though it is thin I find it very comfortable and warm enough when warn in the balaclava style and although not completely wind resistant manages to keep me comfortably warm . I have a full face part merino balaclava and find this much to warm except on the very coldest of days.

I can confirm that whilst HR seeks to intrude on ever more aspects of one's life, there's no position on buffs as yet :wink:
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Mick F wrote:
JakobW wrote:As long as you're willing to pay the Rapha tax, their merino collars and deep winter collars are utterly brilliant as neckwear.
Sound very good indeed and I'm very much tempted, so I searched on Google for one.

All sold out. :oops:

The deep winter one is sold out at the moment, but the regular collars are still available as far as I can see: https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/winter- ... 03XXGRYXXX

They generally turn up in their January sale with a reasonable discount as well.