Chinese go-pro knock-offs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thelawnet

Chinese go-pro knock-offs

Post by thelawnet »

Any recommendations? I'd like to do some youtube videos in the following scenarios:

on-bike (head would be ok I guess)
possibly on river (rafting)?

But mainly the bike? Anything for a moderate price? Say around £100?

Monsoon rain resistance could be a consideration as would be using in Indonesia.

obviously 4k is completely stupid and pointless but I would like it to look bright and sharp at say 720p, regardless of the actual recording resolution.
Ivor Tingting

Re: Chinese go-pro knock-offs

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Would you be a lawyer by any chance? Probably not the cleverest request asking for information on purchasing cheap Chinese"knock-off" GoPros? If you are a lawyer I am sure you could afford a genuine GoPro such as a Hero 6?
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y274ZDK/ ... kAbCXF01KJ

I've had mine since June this year with no issues to date.
It comes with an assortment of mounts and straps and a waterproof case. The case blocks out sound though. Battery life has been around 100 mins and charge time is a couple hours...i never really timed it. The various aftermarket batteries are all about the same, just over 1000mah although the supplied one is only 900mah or so. The battery cover can be a real pig to open. I leave the battery tab hanging out to ease that challenge.
Picture quality is imo pretty impressive, although I upgraded from one of them rubbish 40 quid bullet cams so pretty much anything is better than those. Having said that, watching footage in 720 format on a 41" telly is crystal clear with no signs of noise or slowing down.
Sound quality is ok I suppose but definitely not 7.1 Dolby standard.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Would you be a lawyer by any chance? Probably not the cleverest request asking for information on purchasing cheap Chinese"knock-off" GoPros? If you are a lawyer I am sure you could afford a genuine GoPro such as a Hero 6?

:roll:
they are just cameras.
go-pro don't have exclusive rights to sell cameras believe it or not.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Would you be a lawyer by any chance? Probably not the cleverest request asking for information on purchasing cheap Chinese"knock-off" GoPros? If you are a lawyer I am sure you could afford a genuine GoPro such as a Hero 6?

Are all lawyers rich?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Are all lawyers rich?

At £140 / hr it's hard not to be i suspect. ...... although having very recently been involved in a 2 day court case from what i saw they earn it ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Probably not the cleverest request asking for information on purchasing cheap Chinese"knock-off" GoPros? If you are a lawyer I am sure you could afford a genuine GoPro such as a Hero 6?

But won't the Gp Pro be made in China anyway ? Like iPhones, my Macbook, my phone .... China is a repository of fine engineering skills. If they copy something they do a good job of it .... my Daughters smart phone has GPS , Android 5.1 , all the latest kit and caboodle ...£15 .... from Argos ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Vantage wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y274ZDK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_x0JkAbCXF01KJ

It comes with an assortment of mounts and straps and a waterproof case.

This looks interesting - can it be mounted on handlebars?
pq

Post by pq »

Google is your friend here, there are endless reviews of this sort of thing.

I bought one about 6 months back made by Yi. It was the best reviewed of all of them at the time. It's absolutely fine, but I can't compare with a Go-Pro because I've never owned one.

The only issue is that the Yi has a standard camera mount, not the rather absurd (in my view) Go-Pro one. That means Go-pro accessories don't fit without an adapter.

And yes, all the lawyer-speak above is absurd. These are cameras which anyone is at liberty to make.
One link to your website is enough. G
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

LollyKat wrote:
Vantage wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y274ZDK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_x0JkAbCXF01KJ

It comes with an assortment of mounts and straps and a waterproof case.

This looks interesting - can it be mounted on handlebars?

Yup. The required mount is supplied but has the camera sitting quite high up due to its bulk.
I wanted mine sitting further back and lower so ended up buying an alloy aftermarket mount which I feel is sturdier and nicer looking.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hamster

Post by hamster »

pq wrote:And yes, all the lawyer-speak above is absurd. These are cameras which anyone is at liberty to make.

Provided they don't copy the design.

The design detailing is better on the GoPros, for example the waterproofing, bracket robustness etc. I find that the low-light performance of the image sensor is better along with the optics - less colour fringing caused by lens aberration.

Up to you.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Vantage wrote:
LollyKat wrote:This looks interesting - can it be mounted on handlebars?

Yup. The required mount is supplied but has the camera sitting quite high up due to its bulk.
I wanted mine sitting further back and lower so ended up buying an alloy aftermarket mount which I feel is sturdier and nicer looking.

Thanks!
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Have you considered the Garmin Virb (maybe a used one) - has mounts for handlebar and helmet, does not need a separate waterproof casing, and has a replaceable battery so you can carry a spare.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
softlips

Post by softlips »

Get the cheapest you can. Far less money wasted then when you realise the only person interested in the footage is yourself.

.....or is that just me?

.... and the guy who bought my Go Pro?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

softlips wrote:Get the cheapest you can. Far less money wasted then when you realise the only person interested in the footage is yourself.

.....or is that just me?

.... and the guy who bought my Go Pro?

I run a tour operator and I think I need some video to post on the website.

I'm thinking durability is the priority.