Dynamo AA battery charger - do they exist?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Dynamo AA battery charger - do they exist?

Post by Sweep »

additional note - when I got that flashing alert referred to above when charging in the drybag, the device had actually recharged the batteries to full according to the readout from my garmin.

As I said in a post upthread, I think it's best to use the same small selection of batteries in the charger.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
Jdsk wrote:What a helpful resurrection, I had no idea such things existed.

Could you post a photo of yours now that it's known to work, and a URL for the one you've found, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

Pictures here, along with lots of technical stuff that is somewhat beyond me..

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20C ... %20UK.html

If you were interested I could type out the typical charge times quoted in the manual for charging various capacities of AAA and AA cells.

Essentially though I would use it overnight and just check on it if you wake during the night. It charges slowly, which is good I think.

I suppose you could also use it for micro charges when stopping in the likes of spoons - some have USB ports at tables, if no USB ports just plug the ikea device into a mains/USB adaptor.

On discovering that they are discontinued I bought my second one the other day from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-VINNING ... 2749.l2649

I was expecting it to come by royal mail but that seller actually sent it by courier and I got an email alert to tell me it was coming with a 2 hour delivery slot.

If you search for Vinninge you will maybe find other sellers.

I have no idea why Ikea discontinued it in the UK - I have the impression that they are still selling it in other territories.

Great thing - saves me from carrying a mains AA/AAA charger and in any case sitting in a spoons for 12 hours, even for me, might be a challenge.

It weighs next to nothing.

thanks for that have just bought one.I hope mine gets send courier also. I have been having trouble with things not arriving from Ebay ( even sent click & collect to my local Argos) or elsewhere. starting to wonder if no point buying anything sent royal mail at the moment
rjb

Post by rjb »

Charging AA battery's from a dynamo is straightforward. Use a simple bridge rectifier which you can make from 4 diodes and use the rectified output to recharge your batteries. You may need to experiment to see how quickly they charge. Pre led era dynamo runners would rectify the AC dynamo output to enable 4 AA batteries to be run in parallel with the filament lights giving it a standlight facility. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rjb wrote:Charging AA battery's from a dynamo is straightforward. Use a simple bridge rectifier which you can make from 4 diodes and use the rectified output to recharge your batteries. You may need to experiment to see how quickly they charge. Pre led era dynamo runners would rectify the AC dynamo output to enable 4 AA batteries to be run in parallel with the filament lights giving it a standlight facility. :wink:

Simple for you maybe - home electronics isn't my thing - I'd have as much chance following those instructions as launching a moonshot.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote:Pre led era dynamo runners would rectify the AC dynamo output to enable 4 AA batteries to be run in parallel with the filament lights giving it a standlight facility.

Was that a post-production modification? Brucey recently observed that some bike dynamos had DC output and I've been trying to work out why.

Thanks

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Sweep wrote:
rjb wrote:Charging AA battery's from a dynamo is straightforward. Use a simple bridge rectifier which you can make from 4 diodes and use the rectified output to recharge your batteries. You may need to experiment to see how quickly they charge. Pre led era dynamo runners would rectify the AC dynamo output to enable 4 AA batteries to be run in parallel with the filament lights giving it a standlight facility. :wink:

Simple for you maybe - home electronics isn't my thing - I'd have as much chance following those instructions as launching a moonshot.

Here you go, simples :wink:
https://youtu.be/Fztzn2LcGOE
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd start the bends for the twists (or anything else) further away from the component in order to avoid any stress where the wire enters.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
thanks for that have just bought one.

Would be interested in your impressions of it when it arrives/you have used it a bit.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
thanks for that have just bought one.

Would be interested in your impressions of it when it arrives/you have used it a bit.

well I have tried it with my lidl 5000mah bank and charging a few AAA batteries and does seem to do the job. The only thing is about getting a good connection of the batteries in the device as otherwise the light flashes error. It seems to take the same amount of time as my Uniross mains charger. If it held the batteries more firmly could be attached to a dyno usb and charge while riding. Maybe AA batteries are better in that respect

On further use I am getting quite a few flashing indicating some kind of error. but the batteries seem ok to me. so not sure I would trust it. Maybe thats the reason Ikea stopped selling it? or maybe it doesnt work well with AAA batteries, which is what I tested on

what about this one that does 4 at a time?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Battery-Charger-For-AA-AAA-NiCd-NiMh-Rechargeable-Batteries-4-Slots-Charger/392948761274?