130 OLN Hub Wheel in 135 Spaced rear Frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bertieboy

130 OLN Hub Wheel in 135 Spaced rear Frame

Post by Bertieboy »

When I had my Longstaff resprayed I had the rear spacing reset to accommodate 135 OLN hub wheels. I have been using a 36 spoke DT Swiss TK 540 rim laced to a Shimano XT hub but it is a pretty heavy combination as I only weigh circa 65 kilos. I have a couple of other rear wheels with lower spoke counts but they are all 130 OLN width. I have tried them in the frame and they all fit with the QR skewer doing them up tight but I have never ridden them as I am concerned that it might damage the hubs. Need some advice as to whether this will work.
Brucey

Re: 130 OLN Hub Wheel in 135 Spaced rear Frame

Post by Brucey »

It seems to be relatively harmless to spring a frame ~2mm, but ~5mm is too far for my peace of mind.

A broken axle can easily be replaced so it is not a major concern, but IME in the long run there is a significant risk to the frame if you spring it that far; typically the driveside dropout fails, near where it connects to the chainstay.

If the 130mm hubs are adjustable for OLN (typically by adding spacers) and you plan on using these wheels regularly, then I'd suggest that your respace them and redish them to better suit the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Practical Cycles sell a whole range of different washers for respacing, including a complete kit to go from 135 to 130 OLN.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axle-Spacer- ... 1438.l9372
pwa

Post by pwa »

130mm hub in a frame set for 135mm means that the axle is 5mm too short. Surely this means a new, 5mm longer axle and 5mm of spacers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Bertieboy wrote:When I had my Longstaff resprayed I had the rear spacing reset to accommodate 135 OLN hub wheels. I have been using a 36 spoke DT Swiss TK 540 rim laced to a Shimano XT hub but it is a pretty heavy combination as I only weigh circa 65 kilos. I have a couple of other rear wheels with lower spoke counts but they are all 130 OLN width. I have tried them in the frame and they all fit with the QR skewer doing them up tight but I have never ridden them as I am concerned that it might damage the hubs. Need some advice as to whether this will work.

I assume your frame is not made with modern steel that is more heat-treated than what was done many years ago. No problem with the frame, nor with the hubs, but not convenient when removing/refitting the wheel.
As long term solution, depending on the hubs you could replace the axle &respace the hub +check the wheel dishing.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...