Is there such thing as very bad v-Brake pads for bikes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
itaa

Is there such thing as very bad v-Brake pads for bikes?

Post by itaa »

I'm not sure if this makes sense, however, my cheapo mtb has got just terrible rear brakes and I have no idea why, there is plenty of meat still left on the brake pads (mind you they are the age of the bike, at least 8years old and I doubt their sale value when new has ever been more than 50p)

I have changed the cables on the bike, adjusted the brakes at least 3x , there is a very very good pressure grab and action ,however they just barely stop you. The front brakes are fine and stop good.
Is this a thing or I have something else wrong?
I tried searching for replacement pads,however all I can find in the 55mm size I have are some very cheap poundshop quality ones,seems like the standard are 70mm? But I guess I need the 55mm size If I already have that,or is it possible to use larger size as well? Also what's a good brand I should be looking at?
Moodyman1

Re: Is there such thing as very bad v-Brake pads for bikes?

Post by Moodyman1 »

Yes, when I first got into cycling I bought pads from Wilkinsons or similar. They were acceptable in the dry and on the flat, but downhill or in the wet they were useless. I might add I'm over 6 ft and weigh over 100kgs.

I've had better experience with branded pads (Shimano, Clarks) and I now use Lifeline pads from Wiggle. These are made by Ashima but cost a fraction of Ashima pads.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

At the risk of stating the obvious, rear wheel braking is always much less effective than front wheel braking on bicycles.
itaa

Post by itaa »

alexnharvey wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious, rear wheel braking is always much less effective than front wheel braking on bicycles.

I have noticed that as well, why is that tho?
Anyway My case = I can barely even stop with them at this point,have almost got in few accidents because of them :(

ordered some ''CLARKS ELITE TRIPLE CONTOUR brakes '' for £2.95 from fleabay :D
At that price, I think you can just stick a new pair on instead of faffing with the old ones if I have already wasted some time with them,
Wish my Car brake pads were £2.95 and some 10mins to fit :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

itaa wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious, rear wheel braking is always much less effective than front wheel braking on bicycles.

I have noticed that as well, why is that tho?

Try standing next to your bike then applying the front brakes pushing hard against them. Then do the same to the rear brakes but push the bike backwards.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
itaa

Post by itaa »

Got the Clarks pads, fitted in under 5mins and bike stops on a dime now.
I have to be careful not to engage them too much or I send my rear wheel drifting.
Awesome - they have totally changed my bike !
Last edited by Graham on 16 Dec 2017, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: family forum