SPD CLEAT ADAPTORS.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
3wheels

SPD CLEAT ADAPTORS.

Post by 3wheels »

This may already have been covered but I can't find anything. I am using SPD cleats on a pair of shoes with the Shimano SH-40 adaptors. I am fed up with supergluing the SH-40's back together has anybody found a better adaptor. I have fitted in the past on my grandsons shoes a metal pair with 'resin' outriggers but am unable to find them now, I also believe that Look make some but cannot find any info or stockist. This does not appear to be an isolated case if you read some reviews of the SH-40's so somebody must make a better item. Replacing the shoes is not an option as they are very comfortable and have only just purchased them.
Brucey

Re: SPD CLEAT ADAPTORS.

Post by Brucey »

there are various adaptors on the market. IMHO it is probably necessary for a standard SPD cleat to bed down on a plastic face if it is to stay put, so a metal-faced adaptor plate is maybe not going to work properly.

BTW the SM-SH40s are designed to fit to a shoe that has the two threaded mountings in the sole for SPD cleat screws. If you try to sandwich a metal threaded plate underneath the adaptor, in order to fit to shoes with a three-bolt fixing only, the adaptor will break. Superglue will not fix it.

A different adaptor SM-SH85 allows you to fit SPD cleats to a three-bolt road shoe, but does not have pontoons built in.

The SIDI adaptor has pontoons and is intended to fit to shoes with a three-bolt fixing only. Not used them myself but they look pretty solid.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3wheels

Post by 3wheels »

I am just using the SH40's straight onto the shoe and the problem is that the rubber 'pontoon' bit keeps coming off, basically the design is Naff. The cleats I am using are the 2 hole SPD's and to fit SPD-SL's to all my bikes is an expense I can do without.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you could try the SIDI adaptors; they look a bit chunkier than the shimano ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3wheels

Post by 3wheels »

Have just received SIDI ADAPTORS they measure about 2-3mm thicker than the Shimano ones, will probably try them next time the rubber bit falls off again. Could be any time but these look better as the whole thing is one piece. The extra couple of millimetres is not a problem with winter shoes and winter bike.