Assessing wear on cassettes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Assessing wear on cassettes

Post by nirakaro »

I've got a couple of cassettes lying around, that I can't remember what mileage they've done, and I can't tell just by looking at them. I'm thinking if I wrap a bit of new chain around each cog, and see how much play there is, that will give me an idea. I know there's a certain amount of play even with a new chain and new cassette, but don't know how much - anyone enlighten me?
rotavator

Re: Assessing wear on cassettes

Post by rotavator »

1. Compare the teeth's shapes versus a new cassette or pictures of one in a bike book or online shops

2. If they are pointed or look like shark's fins then they are worn.

3. If you are still not sure, try the cassette out on your bike with a new chain and if you can't stop the chain from jumping using the usual adjustments then the chances are that the cassette is worn and needs replacing.

4. You could of course try the cassette with a worn chain and if they run smoothly then just carry on using them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Depending how its been used, that is if its been used mainly on certain cogs they you could expect burrs on the trailing edges of the teeth, but typically it shows on the smallest cogs.
If there are burrs on the teeth smallest cog then there will be a chance that it will slip a new / good chain.
If your not bothered about your chain and its condition, stick it on and after several tens of miles it might behave.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nirakaro wrote:I've got a couple of cassettes lying around, that I can't remember what mileage they've done, and I can't tell just by looking at them. I'm thinking if I wrap a bit of new chain around each cog, and see how much play there is, that will give me an idea. I know there's a certain amount of play even with a new chain and new cassette, but don't know how much - anyone enlighten me?

as others have suggested, trying the cassette with a new chain will soon show if it is worn or not; it will skip under load.
If you have a part-worn chain (less than 0.5% worn) on another bike, try the cassette with that chain. If it works (but not with the new chain) it usually means that the last chain that was used with that cassette was slightly more worn than 0.5%.

As a simple and quick test a Rohloff HG checker is meant to allow you to tell if the cassette sprockets will work or not with a new chain, without riding the bike; all you need is to fit the cassette to a wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~