Road bike rim brake pads scientific test chart?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Boris R

Road bike rim brake pads scientific test chart?

Post by Boris R »

Hi!
I'm pretty sure this question has already been asked many times here but where can I find a chart comparing scientifically tested rim brake pads via wear/braking power/braking distance (I don't know - any important parameters)? I'm looking for a chart similar to the one produced by https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ which compares different tires.
Many thanks
Brucey

Re: Road bike rim brake pads scientific test chart?

Post by Brucey »

I have never seen such a thing.

I think there are likely to be enormous practical difficulties in getting meaningful results.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rmurphy195

Re: Road bike rim brake pads scientific test chart?

Post by rmurphy195 »

It would be the combination of pad material and rim material that would count - not just alloy v carbon v steel, but e.g. different sorts of alloy used by different manufacturers.

Cars are the same - I have one car which has covered 97,000 miles, is on its 3rd set of front pads but the original discs which are showing minimal signs of wear, another that has covered 46,000 miles, still has the original front pads and discs but there is a pronounced ridge around the edge of the disc (and it creates loads of brake dust). I expect to replace both the pads and the discs on this car soon.

Both have excellent stopping power,both are quite different to their predecessors - since the early 70's the normal wear rate was one set of discs to two sets of pads, about every 30-35k miles. Its all down to differences in materials and the amount of pressure applied.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !