Schwalbe spiked tyres.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
FatLad1980

Schwalbe spiked tyres.

Post by FatLad1980 »

Reading the info on these tyres it says the studs need to be bedded in for the first 25 miles. What the info doesn’t say is at what pressure. Low or high?
uppadine

Re: Schwalbe spiked tyres.

Post by uppadine »

I did mine at full pressure, about 80 psi, and have barely lost a stud over several winters. They are brilliant.
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

uppadine wrote:I did mine at full pressure, about 80 psi, and have barely lost a stud over several winters. They are brilliant.

Phileas

Post by Phileas »

In theory, at higher pressure the studs at the edges are less engaged so you would need to ride further to embed them.

I use them, although not had to for 3 or 4 years. I don't think I've lost any studs. I wonder under what circumstances a stud would come out, hard braking?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I gather that turning the front wheel whilst there's weight on it and you aren't moving is a good way to smear studs out.
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

Phileas wrote:I wonder under what circumstances a stud would come out, hard braking?

Dragging the bike sideways? Turning the handlebar whilst stationary?
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I don't tend to do those things but I suppose it might happen in certain situations.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If I remember correctly you can get replacement studs. Like most i've not had cause to use mine much, think i'm missing a couple on the ATB ones but still have a full complement on the road bike set. I run them at lower pressures anyhow so most studs are in road contact in use.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Typical! All this talk of winter tyres and now it's p***ing down with snow and I've had to get mine out of storage for tomorrow's commute, for the first time in 4 years. :shock: