Ortlieb Saddle Bag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hondated

Ortlieb Saddle Bag

Post by hondated »

Having got a Bar Bag I decided to buy a Saddle Bag but unless its me I cannot get it to fit to my Brookes saddle rails. Is it me or have you too had the same problem !
Paulatic

Re: Ortlieb Saddle Bag

Post by Paulatic »

hondated wrote:Having got a Bar Bag I decided to buy a Saddle Bag but unless its me I cannot get it to fit to my Brookes saddle rails. Is it me or have you too had the same problem !

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116761&hilit=Ortileb+saddle+bag
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
hondated

Post by hondated »

Paulatic wrote:
hondated wrote:Having got a Bar Bag I decided to buy a Saddle Bag but unless its me I cannot get it to fit to my Brookes saddle rails. Is it me or have you too had the same problem !

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116761&hilit=Ortileb+saddle+bag

Thanks Paulatic, but now having looked at the thread it doesn't answer my question really. Yes I can adapt my one and I did using a couple of straps of another seat pack or indeed I could buy another one but I just want to fit the one I have as I would expect to.
I am beginning to think that Ortlieb equipment are a load of rubbish because the bar bag is unimpressive with regards to the lock fitted to secure it to the bike as anyone with a pair of tin snips could just snip the cable and walk off with the bag. Ok you would say never leave it on the bike which is sensible but it's not the point the lock is there for security.
As for this saddle bag another useless item as I have tried fitting it to not only s Brookes saddle but others as well and the clip just cannot be fitted in a place to allow the bag to be removed easily.
Definitely going to avoid buying Ortlieb in the future.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I have and use both bar bag and the middle size saddle pack. The man carrying tin snips is equipped to steal and I’d imagine nothing will stop him. The Ortileb lock will only deter casual spur of the moment theft.
A while since I fitted my saddle pack but I do recall there is a fine line between wrong and right position. I.e. getting it into a position where it slides on and off easily and the keeper wraps around the seat post.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
the snail

Post by the snail »

I fell into the same trap with the Ortleib saddlebag and brooks. IIRC they do say somewhere that it doesn't fit with the QR fitting, but they sell a strap to attach it to a brooks etc. not very satisfactory imo. I ended up stuffing it on there with the QR, but it wouldn't release, and I had a hell of a job to remove it when I gave up on it. Annoying, as it was a useful bag otherwise.
hondated

Post by hondated »

the snail wrote:I fell into the same trap with the Ortleib saddlebag and brooks. IIRC they do say somewhere that it doesn't fit with the QR fitting, but they sell a strap to attach it to a brooks etc. not very satisfactory imo. I ended up stuffing it on there with the QR, but it wouldn't release, and I had a hell of a job to remove it when I gave up on it. Annoying, as it was a useful bag otherwise.

Thank you the snail its somehow comforting to know that its not just me that has had a problem with fitting it.
Just to update both you and Paulatic I have decided not to use it and instead found one of my bidons has a wide neck so I can get a tube and levers in it and carry it in my second bottle cage.
Its also allowed me to fit a couple of rear lights on my saddle post so its worked out ok.