Touring bike build - questions?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 11 Dec 2017, 7:10pm

Currently building my own touring bike using a Genesis Tour De Fer XL frameset. I'm 21/22 stone in weight and the bike will be used for light touring (changes of clothes and staying in hotels and eating out) to full on touring (camping, clothes, cookware etc)

Shimano 105 5703 shifters and front mech are working with a Deore T611 chainset. This just needs some fine tuning once I've decided what rear mech and cassette to use. The 5703 is 10 speed so what do folks think to using a Tiagra 4700 GS rear mech and 11-34 cassette? Or should I use a 9spd MTB rear mech and a larger cassette, if so, what would you suggest?

My Genesis Croix De Fer 30 is donating it's Alex Rims 32H XD-Elite wheels. This bike is 11spd. Will a 10spd cassette fit with a spacer or will the part the cassette slides on too need to be changed?


Thanks. :)

Brucey
Posts: 35873
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby Brucey » 11 Dec 2017, 7:23pm

the 10s cassette will fit with a spacer OK.

I'd favour the 36T sprocket and the 9s mech, because it gives you more choices.

The RD 4700 mech won't work with the ST-5703 shifters anyway. Wrong shift ratio.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 11 Dec 2017, 7:27pm

Brucey wrote:the 10s cassette will fit with a spacer OK.

I'd favour the 36T sprocket and the 9s mech, because it gives you more choices.

cheers


Yep, just found the required spacer on Wiggle.

Can you recommend a specific cassette and 9 spd mech?


Thanks :)

Brucey
Posts: 35873
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby Brucey » 11 Dec 2017, 7:36pm

there are too many 10s cassettes to choose from and not much to choose between them TBH. Choose one that is good value and has the right size sprockets for your needs. If you want the whole lot to last a bit longer, buy a better quality chain; chain wear rate dominates the way the system wears.

I quite like RD-M772 SGS but you will need to make sure you have a barrel adjuster somewhere in the cable run; this rear mech doesn't have one built in.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 11 Dec 2017, 8:20pm

Brucey wrote:there are too many 10s cassettes to choose from and not much to choose between them TBH. Choose one that is good value and has the right size sprockets for your needs. If you want the whole lot to last a bit longer, buy a better quality chain; chain wear rate dominates the way the system wears.

I quite like RD-M772 SGS but you will need to make sure you have a barrel adjuster somewhere in the cable run; this rear mech doesn't have one built in.

cheers


Will do some research on cassettes tonight then.

The Genesis has a barrel adjuster on the head tube. https://www.instagram.com/p/BckzjyelwhW/

EDIT: I've been using KMC 11 speed chains on my two other bikes and have purchased a KMC 10 speed for this bike. Any reason not to stick with KMC?

pwa
Posts: 10414
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby pwa » 11 Dec 2017, 9:04pm

KMC are good.

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 11 Dec 2017, 10:03pm

Will a SRAM PG1030 cassette work OK?

hamster
Posts: 3193
Joined: 2 Feb 2007, 12:42pm

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby hamster » 12 Dec 2017, 10:22am

SRAM cassettes are totally interchangeable with Shimano. In my view they last longer and are nicer finished too.

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 12 Dec 2017, 4:30pm

Done a bit of research last night on cassettes and it seems like all Shimano cassettes will have the same sprocket sizes (11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36) if going for an 11-36 cassette. It's just the price that changes depending on quality of the cassette (I haven't got a clue about MTB groups hierarchy).

The SRAM PG1030 seems to be the better option with sprocket sizes 11-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32-36

Shimano 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36
SRAM 11-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32-36

Any thoughts? or for all the slight difference should I just spend less money on a Shimano?

Dyna-Sys SLX £26
Dyna-Sys Deore XT £55
SRAM PG1030 £32

Brucey
Posts: 35873
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby Brucey » 12 Dec 2017, 5:58pm

cheapest 11-36 10s cassette I could find was this one

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/1136-ventura-10-speed-cassette/

It has the shimano-style choice of sprockets. No idea what the quality is like.

Whether the SRAM or shimano intervals will suit you best depends on how you ride and what your chainrings are like. For example if you ride 48/19 when cruising, the drop to 48/22 when a slight gradient is encountered is liable to be large and annoying, the drop to 48/21 rather less so.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 12 Dec 2017, 6:07pm

Brucey wrote:
Whether the SRAM or shimano intervals will suit you best depends on how you ride and what your chainrings are like. For example if you ride 48/19 when cruising, the drop to 48/22 when a slight gradient is encountered is liable to be large and annoying, the drop to 48/21 rather less so.

cheers


Thanks, Didn't think of it that way. A triple is whole new experience for me as my other bikes have 50-34 cranksets and 11-32/11-34 cassettes.

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 12 Dec 2017, 8:58pm

Stem, handlebars and seat post?

Stem - Considering the frame may be too large for me (Genesis suggested a size L but the LBS said XL) I'm 6' 3" and out of the two bikes I have the one I'm most comfortable on has a seat tube length of 580mm and a top tube length of 604mm. The Tour De Fer XL has a seat tube of 580mm but the top tube is 636mm (the TDF L has a seat tube of 530mm and a top tube of 604mm). Both the TDF L and XL as complete bikes come with 100mm stems. Is it as simple as fitting a 70mm to account for the extra 34mm in the top tube or have I indeed bought the correct size and should fit a 100mm stem. Or. is it just one of those trial and error things? The bike shops here aren't all that good. We have Evans and Edinburgh Bike Co Op but they carry very limited stock so its not really a matter of going in and asking to try things.

Handlebar - The handlebar on my most comfortable bike has a Genesis RandoX Flared D125/R70mm and would like something as near as possible. Any suggestions? From a Croix De Fer review "RandoX handlebar, which Genesis describes as the “[rude word removed] love child between a modern compact drop bar and a traditional randonneur handlebar”. Which means the drops are flared to 8 degrees, and the tops are backswept to 6 degrees, for added comfort and control."

Seat post - Again, I would like to get as close a match to Genesis spec as possible (https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/genesi ... -AQAvD_BwE) unless someone can suggest something better?

What about this? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-gossamer-seat-post/

Thanks, and sorry for being a PITA :oops:

MikeF
Posts: 3769
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby MikeF » 12 Dec 2017, 9:20pm

FatLad1980 wrote:Stem, handlebars and seat post?

Stem - Considering the frame may be too large for me (Genesis suggested a size L but the LBS said XL) I'm 6' 3" and out of the two bikes I have the one I'm most comfortable on has a seat tube length of 580mm and a top tube length of 604mm. The Tour De Fer XL has a seat tube of 580mm but the top tube is 636mm (the TDF L has a seat tube of 530mm and a top tube of 604mm). Both the TDF L and XL as complete bikes come with 100mm stems. Is it as simple as fitting a 70mm to account for the extra 34mm in the top tube or have I indeed bought the correct size and should fit a 100mm stem. Or. is it just one of those trial and error things? The bike shops here aren't all that good. We have Evans and Edinburgh Bike Co Op but they carry very limited stock so its not really a matter of going in and asking to try things.

Handlebar - The handlebar on my most comfortable bike has a Genesis RandoX Flared D125/R70mm and would like something as near as possible. Any suggestions? From a Croix De Fer review "RandoX handlebar, which Genesis describes as the “<i>[rude word removed]</i> love child between a modern compact drop bar and a traditional randonneur handlebar”. Which means the drops are flared to 8 degrees, and the tops are backswept to 6 degrees, for added comfort and control."

Seat post - Again, I would like to get as close a match to Genesis spec as possible (https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/genesi ... -AQAvD_BwE) unless someone can suggest something better?

What about this? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-gossamer-seat-post/

Thanks, and sorry for being a PITA :oops:
Before worrying about stem length you need to think about saddle position. Seat tube angle will affect this, as well as how much you can adjust the saddle fore and aft. The type of handlebars will also no doubt reflect what length stem you want. (Genesis will descibe their handlebars in the way they think you might want to purchase one. :wink:) It is not always easy to set up two bikes the same - sometimes it's impossible. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

Brucey
Posts: 35873
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby Brucey » 12 Dec 2017, 9:23pm

re the top tube/stem length, it is as simple as that provided

a) the seat angles are similar and
b) the handlebars are similar and
c) the riding position you have that is 'comfortable' remains so.

My main concern regarding a 70mm stem as a starting point is that should you find you could do with a shorter one, you have not much room to play with.

Re seat pin, check that the stated diameter is correct (no wobbling with the binder half-tight) and I'd suggest something with two bolts (for strength) and enough adjustment for the correct layback of the saddle, so probably not an inline post.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FatLad1980
Posts: 100
Joined: 4 Dec 2017, 12:14am

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Postby FatLad1980 » 12 Dec 2017, 9:42pm

MikeF wrote:
FatLad1980 wrote:Stem, handlebars and seat post?

Stem - Considering the frame may be too large for me (Genesis suggested a size L but the LBS said XL) I'm 6' 3" and out of the two bikes I have the one I'm most comfortable on has a seat tube length of 580mm and a top tube length of 604mm. The Tour De Fer XL has a seat tube of 580mm but the top tube is 636mm (the TDF L has a seat tube of 530mm and a top tube of 604mm). Both the TDF L and XL as complete bikes come with 100mm stems. Is it as simple as fitting a 70mm to account for the extra 34mm in the top tube or have I indeed bought the correct size and should fit a 100mm stem. Or. is it just one of those trial and error things? The bike shops here aren't all that good. We have Evans and Edinburgh Bike Co Op but they carry very limited stock so its not really a matter of going in and asking to try things.

Handlebar - The handlebar on my most comfortable bike has a Genesis RandoX Flared D125/R70mm and would like something as near as possible. Any suggestions? From a Croix De Fer review "RandoX handlebar, which Genesis describes as the “<i>[rude word removed]</i> love child between a modern compact drop bar and a traditional randonneur handlebar”. Which means the drops are flared to 8 degrees, and the tops are backswept to 6 degrees, for added comfort and control."

Seat post - Again, I would like to get as close a match to Genesis spec as possible (https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/genesi ... -AQAvD_BwE) unless someone can suggest something better?

What about this? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-gossamer-seat-post/

Thanks, and sorry for being a PITA :oops:
Before worrying about stem length you need to think about saddle position. Seat tube angle will affect this, as well as how much you can adjust the saddle fore and aft. The type of handlebars will also no doubt reflect what length stem you want. (Genesis will descibe their handlebars in the way they think you might want to purchase one. :wink:) It is not always easy to set up two bikes the same - sometimes it's impossible. :wink:


Unfortunately, it's not possible to purchase Genesis bars/stem/seat post as stand alone items.

Does anyone have suggestions for these items that will get me in the right area as to what to look for?