Touring bike build - questions?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
FatLad1980

Re: Touring bike build - questions?

Post by FatLad1980 »

I’ve been riding since 2015 but haven’t had any professional bike fit or anything.

When I bought my comfortable bike back in June I asked Evans to help me set it up. All they could be bothered to help me with was set the seat post height.

With regards to setting the saddle position on the seatpost I’ve never messed around with this. The only adjustment I’ve done to either of my bikes were to turn the stem the other way so they raised the bars rather than lower them. Also, I fine tuned the seat post height by a few mm.

I have an app for my smartphone that records you cycling and can advise on any adjustments required. But to use this I need some sort of Turbo trainer and someone to hold the phone. It gets good reviews on the iOS App Store and a few even said they compared the results to their RETUL? fit and it was astonishingly accurate.
hayers

Post by hayers »

Beware! The app is likely targetted at more intense riding than "touring" - eg saddle further forward for more weight over pedals, but on a long gentle day that equates to more weight on hands and shoulders. For touring "knee over pedal" and/or low weight on hands is a good starting point.

I had a professional bike fit - moved saddle a long way forward, and it was great for short fast rides (1 - 2 hrs) but for whole days lead to painful hands etc. Reading advice on this forum moved saddle back (adjusting height to suit) and much better for those long days).

Good luck with it!
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

hayers wrote:Beware! The app is likely targetted at more intense riding than "touring" - eg saddle further forward for more weight over pedals, but on a long gentle day that equates to more weight on hands and shoulders. For touring "knee over pedal" and/or low weight on hands is a good starting point.

I had a professional bike fit - moved saddle a long way forward, and it was great for short fast rides (1 - 2 hrs) but for whole days lead to painful hands etc. Reading advice on this forum moved saddle back (adjusting height to suit) and much better for those long days).

Good luck with it!

I didn't think of that. Does anyone have any tips for setting up the riding position for long days in the saddle or is there a dedicated thread on the subject?
georgew

Post by georgew »

FatLad1980 wrote:
hayers wrote:Beware! The app is likely targetted at more intense riding than "touring" - eg saddle further forward for more weight over pedals, but on a long gentle day that equates to more weight on hands and shoulders. For touring "knee over pedal" and/or low weight on hands is a good starting point.

Good luck with it!

I didn't think of that. Does anyone have any tips for setting up the riding position for long days in the saddle or is there a dedicated thread on the subject?

Colin 531 I seem to remember had some very good advice on exactly this subject......and complete with images.

If the search facility on this forum can't find this... try using Google with the same terms.
PH

Post by PH »

georgew wrote:
Colin 531 I seem to remember had some very good advice on exactly this subject......and complete with images.

If the search facility on this forum can't find this... try using Google with the same terms.

Here it is
http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf

Most questions on bike fit get directed there sooner or later and with good reason, it's as good a starting point as any you'll find, plus it's better explained than most. It's not an easy answer, but it's certainly worth the time and effort to get it right.
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

Awesome, thanks guys :)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Go cheap https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s84p2907/FSA-SL-280......at least until you know whether you want an in-line or a layback post.
Rule of thumb.....nobody ever needs an in-line post on a tourer.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

Looking good!

Did you cut the steerer yourself or was is precut, so you had to add an extender?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Watch you don’t put a dent in the top tube with that stand clamp. Better to clamp the thick-walled, replaceable seatpost.

Looks great. I can see in the background what made the lad fat!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Nice bike. Ticks all the main boxes for me. But white pedals! :lol:
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

PeterBL wrote:Looking good!

Did you cut the steerer yourself or was is precut, so you had to add an extender?

The steerer was too short out of the box so I added the riser. There's some adjustment in that too by removing spacers from underneath and placing them on top but I think it's good where it is.
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

Samuel D wrote:Watch you don’t put a dent in the top tube with that stand clamp. Better to clamp the thick-walled, replaceable seatpost.

Looks great. I can see in the background what made the lad fat!

The miniatures? all full and sealed. I don't drink. :)
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

pwa wrote:Nice bike. Ticks all the main boxes for me. But white pedals! :lol:

Well, I ordered them when I was away for christmas as I thought they would go with the white wording on the bike, only to get home and discover it's an off white. Anyway, I have white panniers and for some reason went for white bar tape which is rather bright. :shock: