Buying advice hybrid flatbar + carbon + disc

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
elPedro666

Re: Buying advice hybrid flatbar + carbon + disc

Post by elPedro666 »

Just looked up the first aluminium frame that came to mind (not appropriate for the job in question, just racy aluminium to compare with racy carbon weights), the Cannondale CAAD12, and it's 1,094g. Comparable with far more expensive carbon frames in the same category.

Point being that the massive increase in durability doesn't necessarily come with so much of a weight penalty as the hype might suggest. Should probably also tell you something that so few touring/commuting bikes are made from carbon (although it is something I've always wanted to see done well, just as a matter of interest).

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
ChiasseEnSpray

Post by ChiasseEnSpray »

Im afraid my LBS is not that one, it;s very old, does not even has a website, and the owner is closing in 6 month time.
So he is trying to sell his inventory, he wont order anything new. He is certainly knowledgeable, but I would feel bad going in his shop, spending a long time there and leaving empty handed. Like I said, all the bike on display are dusty and seem to have been there for ages. Selection is quite small. Lots of 2017 models but minimal discount. Which is fair enough but i don't see myself getting anything there.

I saw the Whyte Montpellier, I agree the geometry seems even more suitable for me and love the simplified derailleur. But component wise it seem even more over priced than the canyon, everything is basic/entry level. At 1.6k it's difficult to pull the trigger. I notice it is the case with a lot of commuters, not sure what is the reason, behind it (? new investment in R&D for the frame that need amortizing).
Same goes for the Specialized Sirrus.
I would consider those bike if there were around the 1k£ zone.

I heard lots of good thing about the CAAD 12, but it's not flat bar and the position looks more racier than the canyon.

SimonCelsa> is broadman a good brand ? I went to Halford a while ago, and upon close inspection their bike did not impress me much, the finishing in particular was nothing special in particular compared to giant/scott/cannondale
The btwin are nice, and had one when I was younger but I just wanna move to something a bit better if that makes sense. It's not going to bring me much motivation to hop on my btwind .

whoof> like the idea of planet X especially since im in the north east. But I cant find Carbon + disc + flat bar even with custom build.

John_S> Kalkhoff Durban 7 is too boris bike like, i want something slightly more sporty without going all the way to drop bar and head in the handle bar
The commuters are nice but again, somehow so expansive for such low specs/components

dobbo800> looks slick, but again so expansive compared to the canyon which offers a carbon frame, flat mounted disc better component overall for the same price. Frame geometry looks similar to me.

Bonefishblues> I'll deifinitely have a lot at that

I think im going try to visit some bike shop this weekend, if you guys have some to recommend between leeds and newcastle, feels free to share your addresses.

Cheers
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've seen Montpelliers at £1400 for 2017 models - willing to bet an offer at 12 or so would buy one.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

2017 Sirrus Sport Carbon in two sizes https://www.h2gear.co.uk/125780/product ... gLHsvD_BwE
Spend what you didn't spend on upgrading the spec and wheels and have a better bike than the Canyon 7.
There's a 'new/unused 2015 Sirrus Elite on ebay in a size medium £800 (topcashback gets you 3% back on purchases at the moment too)
Cannondale do a 'quick' carbon hybrid only in a large but has a rack mount too https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/cannondale ... 7-ID_72457
If you fancy a punt there's a 2017 carbon comp in a M and L at Bike24 for about £1150 https://www.bike24.com/p2141632.html

Canyon are well priced but as mentioned you cant try before you buy.
You could buy a second user high end spec bike that would set you back circa £400-500 or consider a new decent spec aluminium framed version with carbon forks. Myself I bought a NOS full carbon hybrid frame and forks with guard and pannier rack fittings and am going to build up to my own spec but then that isn't an option for everyone, it does work out a hell of a lot cheaper and you get the spec you want not what a manufacturer wants to sell you.

Also don't sweat it with the spoke count, I'm 102kg now and have been 107kg and ridden 24/20 spoke carbon wheels without any hint of issues, my current fast wheels are 21/18, sure if you want to hammer it and do some off road riding then you could for extra insurance get some higher spoke count wheels but frankly unless you're 150kg I wouldn't worry about 'needing 32/36 spoke wheels, they really aren't a necessity for reliable cycling even on one used for regular commuting on rough urban roads.
ChiasseEnSpray

Post by ChiasseEnSpray »

A little update, I've been to several shops and tried several geometries. First off, I was suprised to see shops don't tend to carry many carbon frame flat bar hybrid.
But I felt actually comfortable on something M with a large flat bar.
So I'm think I'm going to pull the trigger for the Roadlite cf 7.0. Which is by far the cheapest of all I’ve tried today.

The bike comes with a 105 shimano group set which is great. However I don't need so many gears. I want something like the sram force 1. Do I need to change the entire group set or can I convert the stock 105 to a 1x11 ?

Thanks in advcance
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

As it comes with a 2x11 setup, it is quite easy to convert to 1x11. Basically, you just remove the front derailleur and place the chain on one of the two chain rings.

If you want to do it properly, you remove the two chain rings as well and add a single speed chain ring instead, perhaps a narrow wide one that matches the gearing you would like. Maybe also change the rear cassette so you still have the needed range.

My advice would be to take delivery of the bike and get a feel for what gear range you use. Then play around with a gear calculator and find out how many teeth you need front and back to find a 1x11 range that suits you.
cooperidol

Post by cooperidol »

I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions on the Canyon Roalite machines.Has anyone else taken the plunge, did the OP end up buying it in the end..... I'd love to hear how you have got on with the Roadlite? How was dealing with Canyon? What is the slightly aggressive position like? How has the Carbon held up and have you appreciated it? Any and all info welcome!