Foldable and non-foldable tyres on same bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CityTiger

Foldable and non-foldable tyres on same bike

Post by CityTiger »

Had a bit of messing around with an online seller of winter tyres and it looks like I might end up with one foldable, and one non-foldable version of the same tyre.

I assume that it would be OK to have both on the same bike?

If so, would you have any preference on which one was on the front wheel and which is on the rear, or will it not really make any difference?
mjr

Re: Foldable and non-foldable tyres on same bike

Post by mjr »

In my experience with ordinary tyres, they mix OK and it makes almost no difference - the difference is that it'll flop a bit more with one side off the rim.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

Ok cool thanks, although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the difference is that it'll flop a bit more with one side off the rim" - do you just mean when I'm installing them?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the tyres are the same model but one with and one without folding beads, there are only two differences

1) the folding beaded tyre will be slightly lighter and
2) the fit of the tyre on the rim will be different

The latter point makes no difference when the tyre is inflated, and only really has any bearing on how easily the tyre comes on and off the rim, eg when fitting it, or perhaps in the event of a blowout.

I'd normally fit the folding tyre on the front wheel, where any weight difference is more likely to be felt, even if it doesn't make you any faster.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

CityTiger wrote:Ok cool thanks, although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the difference is that it'll flop a bit more with one side off the rim" - do you just mean when I'm installing them?

When installing, repairing punctures or replacing tubes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

Ok great, thanks to you both for your help.