Excess price rise(s)?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrevA

Re: Excess price rise(s)?

Post by TrevA »

Beware the Conti Ultrasports, they are not puncture proof or even puncture resistant. A friend had them on a bike he bought from Ribble. He had so many punctures that he threw them away after a month and got some Gatorskins instead. There's a reason that they are a third of the price of Gatorskins. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Indeed, Bicycle Rolling Resistance rates them as very prone to punctures.

On the other hand, they have significantly lower rolling resistance than Gatorskins despite being much cheaper.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Yet again something I have that everyone hates.

My geared bike came with Conti Ultrasports as standard. So far, I've had one puncture, but I haven't done too much distance with them. The reviews that I quickly googled had three people who all seemed happy. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continen ... rce=google

When they wear out I plan to replace them with tyres from further up Continental's range such as gator hardshells or something.

Price is £6.99 on the above link at the time I post this.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Used with a turbo trainer, the puncture resistance of Ultrasports is exemplary.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My friend does about 150-200 miles a week. In 4 weeks he had 4 punctures on his Ultras. Compare this to 1 puncture in 18 months on Gators.

It seems there is a trade off between puncture resistant and rolling resistance.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

TrevA wrote:It seems there is a trade off between puncture resistant and rolling resistance.

Certainly.

On the other hand, paying more can to some extent buy your way out of that pickle. For example, Bicycle Rolling Resistance rates the Schwalbe One as having lower rolling resistance and greater puncture resistance than the Continental Ultra Sport II. But of course it costs much more. As I said earlier in the thread, money directly buys performance in tyres.

I use the Schwalbe One and can attest to its good puncture resistance. The rubber cuts up like it does on any fast tyre, but the belt underneath is astonishingly resistant to glass, unlike other fast tyres I’ve used including the Veloflex Master.

But then the Veloflex Master has a more supple sidewall and especially tread than the Schwalbe One. Your favoured Gatorskins are tough as old boots! Pick your poison.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I would guestimate that I've done about 1000-1500km on the Ultrasports for one puncture.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've actually gone over to GP 4 Seasons for this winter, slightly lighter and lower rolling resistance, than the Gators, for not much more money. I value puncture resistance for a winter tyre, as I don't want to be stood around in the cold changing tubes. I don't mind a bit of extra resistance on a winter tyre too, I can't say as I notice really, and I still manage to win the sprint to the cafe on the Saturday club run!

I'd be disappointed in 1 puncture in 1000km for the Ultras, to be honest, although you can be unlucky. I normally don't get any until at least 3000km on the Gators.

I've had the Schwalbes on my summer bike and was disappointed with the wear rate. Back tyre was worn through the tread at 1500 miles, though no punctures in that time.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rjb wrote:Ive noticed prices at a well known somerset retailer increase if the same item is selling well. I purchased some tyres at a very attractive offer but when i went back for some more the price had increased by 70% :shock:
Ive noticed this previously, anyone esle noticed :wink:

If you can't thoyle it wait a while, the price may go down again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

This morning I was riding my geared bike with ultrasports on it, on an off-road cyclepath littered with decaying plant matter. At one point, while leant over I felt my front wheel hit a stone, slide, then grip again, without depositing me on the ground. Hence, as of today, I'm very happy with this tyre.