27 in wheel options

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve O'C

27 in wheel options

Post by Steve O'C »

I would like to build a pair of 27in wheels for a friend who has an old bike. The only new rims I can find are single walled without eyelets.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/alex-ap18-wide-low-profile-27-inch-630-rim-silver-36-hole/

Would these be OK or would I be better off trying to find some old stock on eBay? If I did use these would I need to use washers under the nipples to spread the load?

For background I am a novice wheelbuilder, this would be my third set.

Thanks for any advice

Steve
LollyKat

Re: 27 in wheel options

Post by LollyKat »

I have an unused Wolber M58 Super Champion (single walled with eyelets), 36 spokes, which you can have free if you can collect it from Glasgow.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

Thanks, tempting but I am in London :(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

on the face of it, the extrusion design in current 27" rims isn't that much worse than period correct rims like the Mod58, but like you say there may not be eyelets and (perhaps more importantly) the material used may not be anywhere near as strong.

If building with the available modern rims, I'd suggest avoiding 'normal' levels of wheel dish if at all possible, and also that using washers under the nipple heads indeed might not be a bad idea.

Also note that single walled rims such as these will definitely be susceptible to Euler buckling, i.e. the wheel will self-pringle at a certain spoke tension, as described in Jobst Brandt's wheelbuilding book. Many modern rims don't manifest this kind of behaviour; modern rim designs are a lot stiffer (in torsion). The allowable tension in wheels with susceptible rims will also vary with wheel dish, i.e. a lower tension is permissible if the wheel dish is greater.

It should be possible to build a reasonable set of wheels with the available rims, but if you have a choice using one at the front and a stronger rim at the rear would be a better idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hamster

Post by hamster »

It may be simpler to buy some Tektro R559 deep drop callipers and 700c wheels. If replacing old callipers the braking improvement with dual pivots will also be nice.

I did this for my Witcomb - it had the added benefit of increasing mudguard clearance and so tyre size choice.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Unless your friend's "old bike" is of Collector/Eroica interest, there is sadly not much future in 27" wheels not least because of the ever-dwindling range of choice in decent tyres.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.

Steve
botty

Post by botty »

Try velo orange. They sell 27 inch rims with eyelets (for a price).