Mini Pump For Mountain Bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

Mini Pump For Mountain Bike

Post by foxychick »

Any one recommend a decent pump that can fit to my frame with bottle cage mounts, just want one as a spare for when i am out on the trail and i get a puncture.
gloomyandy

Re: Mini Pump For Mountain Bike

Post by gloomyandy »

I like the Topeak Morph range of pumps. A sort of mini track pump. Don't think that they can fit alongside a bottle cage though, but the bracket will fit on a bottle cage mount or can be put on the frame using cable ties. Make sure you get one with a high volume, rather than high pressure.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gloomyandy wrote:I like the Topeak Morph range of pumps. A sort of mini track pump. Don't think that they can fit alongside a bottle cage though, but the bracket will fit on a bottle cage mount or can be put on the frame using cable ties. Make sure you get one with a high volume, rather than high pressure.

The Lezyne ‘mini floor pump’ type you mention will fit on a bottle cage mount. You can also get them with a gauge if you so wish.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

The Morph pumps, road bike and mountain bike variety, both fit under/alongside bottle carriers.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I've got a Topeak Peakini on mine and it sits next to a bottle cage
Whatever you buy, watch out for a head that will take your valve type and the pump capacity (Peakini is 90psi so might struggle with road bikes)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

If I can just offer some advice from experience. If you are only using this for a MTB, then choose a pump that has more volume per stroke as opposed to high pressure pumps. A MTB only needs 65 psi at maximum, where road bikes require up to 110 psi. I once used a high pressure pump for a 26 X 2.0 tire and it took me nearly 15 mins.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I entirely agree with the above comment. I'd also suggest that you carry a pump in your pack rather than on the bike if you are doing any serious MTBing, because IME pumps very often just get knocked off the bike at 'exciting times'. It also means that you don't have to concern yourself with the exact size of the pump, so that you can carry one in your pack that will actually work OK rather than one that is so tiny it will drive you berserk actually using it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Eyebrox wrote:The Morph pumps, road bike and mountain bike variety, both fit under/alongside bottle carriers.

All of the current Topeak Morph range use a "centre line" mount system. This means they either mount directly on bottle bosses (in place of a bottle cage) or you have to mount them with tie wraps. This may allow you to mount them alongside a bottle cage but they may not sit very well and may stick too far out to the side. They don't come with an offset mount like many pumps do designed to allow them to mount alongside a bottle cage using the bottle bosses. They do however have really good Velcro fixing straps which means that there is pretty much zero chance of losing one even on anMTB.

Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I've just checked my bikes - and yes you are correct. I forgot I had to buy heavy duty zip ties for them and was disappointed that Topeak hadn't provided side fitting holders. It's never been a problem but I can understand that it might turn off a few shoppers. Thanks for the information.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I bought a Topeak mini dual recently in Japan after my frame pump fell off and was crushed. It has a side fitting holder. It sits snug next to the bottle cage. Although it is proud of the frame and I caught my baggy shorts on it a few times.

Maybe this isn't a current model, so may be worth looking at a few sellers to check their stock.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

foxychick wrote:Any one recommend a decent pump that can fit to my frame with bottle cage mounts, just want one as a spare for when i am out on the trail and i get a puncture.

Don't buy one designed for high pressure road bike tires. Mountain bike specific ones have larger diameter pistons which push more air volume. Topeak makes some good ones.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Thank you very much for all your replies and advice, i think i will be getting one with the screw on adaptor as no problem getting this on the valve.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Seems like you are sorted.

By coincidence I was looking for a spare pump for just such a thing when my email pinged your addition to the thread.

The larger mountain morph** with the gauge seems to be less available than it was. Did Topeak have reservations about the gauge?

Do folk have views on this smaller example?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-morph-mini-gauge-pump/

£24.99 there though at the mo Chain Reaction, which is effectively now the same company, appears to be flogging it for £19.99

** Mine with the rotary gauge no longer morphs since I took pity on a wannabee urban trendy with a flip flop gear - seeing him struggle with his micro suppository pump I offered him mine and the lummock promptly broke the foot off by bending it the wrong way :(
Sweep