Dutch style Spa Tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

Dutch style Spa Tourer

Post by UpWrong »

I bought a 51cm Spa Tourer frameset last winter as a winter special offer but only recently completed the build. I used what spares I had so it's rather a hodge podge. I bought an FSA Orbit headset rather than use the Tange roller bearing one supplied. Crankset is a Spa 28/38/48 triple with 170mm cranks and gears are 9 speed with an Alivio trigger shift. Bought the Selle Royal Roomy saddle from Practical Cycles on their recommendation along with the Humpert Stuttgarter bars. I rode it with straight bars for a bit but wanted less weight on my hands and swept back grips. Practical cycles seem to have good kit at fair prices, and the service has alway been excellent. With straight bars and a short stem I found the steering to be surprisingly quick to the degree that it felt like it was on the edge of oversteering. Perhaps it could do with less fork offset than its 54mm but that would risk toe overlap.

I don't have the right chainline at the moment. The rear wheel has a claris road hub and the UN-55 BB is 116mm. It works fine but I avoid large-large combinations.

WP_20171231_15_36_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20171231_15_34_55_Pro.jpg
Last edited by UpWrong on 1 Jan 2018, 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.
fatboy

Re: Dutch style Spa Tourer

Post by fatboy »

Like it! One of my neighbours had his Spa tourer built like that from new.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I like that very much. I've got some suitable 'bars.....so a start!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting.

+ 1 for Practical Cycles as well.

Must admit I have never bought anything from them but have now and again looked at their online shop and they appear to put a lot of thought into what they sell - good quality practical stuff at fair prices.

Online only aren't they? Had the idea that these days their base is some sort of trading estate unit.
Sweep
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The other recommendation although you can't see it clearly in the photos is the IZKI rear classic rack mounted light from hollandbikeshop.com. It has an approved integrated reflector along with a good light visible from the sides as well as from the rear. I bought 4 of them for the price of one equivalent light in the UK (e.g. a Spanninga rebadged as a Brompton light). Beats me why thesee aren't more popular in the UK.

https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-lights/ikzi-bicycle-lights/ikzi-rear-light-on-batteries/ikzi-rear-light-classic/ikzi-rear-light-led-180-degrees-visibility-80mm/
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sweep wrote:Interesting.

+ 1 for Practical Cycles as well.

Must admit I have never bought anything from them but have now and again looked at their online shop and they appear to put a lot of thought into what they sell - good quality practical stuff at fair prices.

Online only aren't they? Had the idea that these days their base is some sort of trading estate unit.

Still a shop you can walk into, I think.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ta.#

short walk from Lytham town centre isn't it?

Have you been?

Is all of their stuff on display for browsing?
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Hi Upwrong: what frame size and wheel size is it (I'm assuming 700c)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

horizon wrote:Hi Upwrong: what frame size and wheel size is it (I'm assuming 700c)?

Yes, 51cm frame, 700c wheels with original 35c Marathons fitted. The smaller 48cm frame takes 26" wheels.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Sweep wrote:ta.#

short walk from Lytham town centre isn't it?

Have you been?

Is all of their stuff on display for browsing?

I've been a few times it is an industrial warehouse sort of unit, but they have most of the bikes on display along with some bags, clothes etc. Not your typical flash high street bike shop but very good. They have a fair bit of stock and can usually find what you want from the warehouse part, but if you are making a special trip I'd be tempted to ring and check that they have what you want in stock as a couple of times they have been sold out of an item. They also have a workshop in the unit and have been very good with me supplying any needed nuts/bolts/fittings plus advice. I live about 20 miles or so from them but I'm happy to make that trip to get stuff when I need it.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

UpWrong wrote:........... With straight bars and a short stem I found the steering to be surprisingly quick to the degree that it felt like it was on the edge of oversteering. Perhaps it could do with less fork offset than its 54mm but that would risk toe overlap...............

Not a surprise at all to me.....you are using the frame at the very edge of the envelope of its design parameters.
Most "British Tourers" are sold with drop bars. I'm of average height, and my normal hand position on the brake hoods is about eight inches in front of the headset. I don't put a lot of weight on my hands, but any weight at all with an eight inch lever is pretty effective at calming the steering down.
If I were to ride your bike and my bike no hands, I wouldn't be able to find a difference, and it won't "oversteer"....although you might, until you get used to it.
You will see that the bike has low-rider mounts on the fork.....its designed to ride with drop bars and front panniers, without the steering becoming over-heavy or ponderous. ......because its a tourer, with relatively stable steering, its also OK with straight bars and an average length stem, but putting the grips level with the headset is going to give you a light feel to the steering......bikes designed to be ridden like that usually have a very slack head angle, like typical Dutch bikes.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Hi Colin,

The light steering was with the straight bars and short stem. I've only done a couple of miles with the Swept back bars and the steering felt great. It might be that I had just got used to it but the stability at very low speeds uphill was noticeable. I'll post back after I've done my commute on it with any update.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Steering "feel" has mechanical factors and rider factors.
The mechanical factors are straightforward........if you change nothing else but your hand position, moving forwards will make the steering feel "stable", whereas moving back will make steering feel "light"......but it will be the same when ridden no hands. Moving your hands an inch won't make a difference, but 4 inches will.
A bigger tyre or a lower pressure will make the steering feel more stable, including riding no hands.
Human factors are harder to predict. You will "get used to" the feel of a particular bike, to greater or lesser extent, over time.
Something completely unrelated that makes you feel better about the bike can alter your perception of the bike handling......mine always ride better when the sun is out......or when I have had a good day and they are filthy. But a headwind or lousy roads for mile after mile makes all the little niggles surface.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

531colin wrote:......mine always ride better when the sun is out......or when I have had a good day and they are filthy. But a headwind or lousy roads for mile after mile makes all the little niggles surface.

I also think my riding position MUST be wrong, because my legs always ache, and even more so if there's a headwind :lol:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

fastpedaller wrote:
I also think my riding position MUST be wrong, because my legs always ache, and even more so if there's a headwind :lol:
Amlodipine can make your muscles ache!

horizon wrote:Hi Upwrong: what frame size and wheel size is it (I'm assuming 700c)?
UpWrong wrote:I bought a 51cm Spa Tourer ......
which has "700 wheels"

Looks a nice bike. Interesting comments on ride.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.