Poor frame design?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Poor frame design?

Post by reohn2 »

Gattonero wrote:According to the picture, it seems the shoe is rubbing just before the dropout, so there isn't much you can do unless you make a skewed dropout, which.......

What is obvious to me isn't obvious to you so I'll leave it at that,as I posted before YVMV,mine won't
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phileas wrote:It's pretty obvious that the dropout could have been designed in such a way that the stay did not need to have such a severe bend on it.

However, it needs to be remembered that this frame was cheap - it's a Planet-X London Road and it cost me £150. For all we know P-X sourced a job-lot of cheap dropouts and designed the frame around them. :wink:

I wasn't expecting anything special but I was surprised that my heel sometimes rubs.

Cheap doesn't have to mean badly designed,a few minutes worth of thinkology at the design stage could've sorted that problem out IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

To me it looks more as if someone was trying to find a way of using up a job lot of parts that were designed for use on a child's go cart or some such.
That welding is best not mentioned and if the fastening bolts were parallel to the axle the safety margin against bad assembly or dodgy threads would be vastly improved also.
Have you noticed how the parts industry seems to be selling useless brake blocks in order to convince us that the old large diameter (27")disc brakes are no longer any use?