Tyre seating issue

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Phileas

Tyre seating issue

Post by Phileas »

My current rims are Rigida Taurus. Tyres are Continental Gatorskin.

I'm having an issue I've never had before in 22 years of cycle commuting - the front (only) tyre typically (not always) won't reseat correctly leading to a very noticeably lumpy ride.

I've tried different tyres (same type) 25mm (old and new) and 28mm new - same problem.

I've also noticed that the tyre bead keeps getting in between the rim and rim tape. I've tried changing the tape - I don't know what width is in at the moment but the tape I took out is 16mm wide which doesn't seem particularly wide for these rims.

I know I can use talc or washing up liquid and the tyre is ok at the moment but I'm looking for an explanation.
Brucey

Re: Tyre seating issue

Post by Brucey »

gatorskins tend to be a tight fit. Often the tyre won't seat correctly (even when fitted to an 'easy' rim) until it is fully inflated. I don't think Taurus rims are usually a particularly tight rim but there is always potential for a manufacturing variation.

As you have noticed if the tyre bead is tight and does not seat easily it tends to scuff against the rim tape and this can cause all kinds of problems. I would recommend that you use full width (eg Velox) self-adhesive rim tape, applied to a grease-free rim bed; on the minus side it can be slightly thicker but on the plus side once it is stuck down it is unlikely to ruck up or move as the tyre bead bears against it.

I have had previously reliable rim tapes of other sorts turn bad on me when tight tyres are fitted on them, due to rucking or movement.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It happens.
Along with whats suggested, try fitting in your lounge not the garage.
I prefer not to use w/up liquid neat and then only diluted on tubeless tyres, old habit with motor cycles, maybe talc instead, although latter is mainly for the tube lube.

If all else fails two or three? turns of this to full inner rim width, which is thinner (0.3 mm thick single) than Velox might help.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESA-TAPE-51 ... EWGIF_pfMQ

Recently fitted a conti trainer tyre and even though its been previously mounted and well used, was a bum to fit to my welless old mavic rim, but being welless once on there is no problem.
Conti tour ride 26" are always tight till after your first flat, I have found.

You say it all right now, has it seated?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I've ordered the Velox tape.

W/up liquid was all I had to hand.

I guess it's a combination of causes. It just surprised me that I've never knowingly had a similar problem before and I was completely unaware there were tried and tested solutions.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I had this problem a couple of times with Conti GP 4 Seasons. I was advised to slightly overpressure tham to get them to seat. That worked for me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Pump it up hard and bounce the wheel on/near the "flat" bit of tyre......the bead will pop up.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

So the Velox tape hasn't helped much. :(

Can anyone recommend a decent 700C 28mm slick commuting road tyre which won't be as tight as Continental Gatorskins?

As I said above, rim is Rigida Taurus.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
There will always be one combination of tyre and rim that will be impossible.
I tried for several hours to fit a motorcycle tyre to a rim, gave up, repeated attempts split tubes often, bear this in mind!
Another tyre would tell you if its rim related, you might already have tried this. cant remember all the posts.
You could try over inflating some 10 % and leaving in a warm place.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you might find this list useful

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53372.0

Re tyre choice; folk commute on all kinds of tyres. How slick is 'slick'? Where on the puncture protection vs speed spectrum do you want to be?

A Durano or Durano plus might suit? Wired bead Michelins are usually an easy fit too.

If the velox rim tape is rucking up then it probably isn't stuck down properly. Apply the tape under tension and then fit a tyre (any tyre) to the rim and leave it inflated overnight. This will cause the rim tape to adhere as well as it is going to. If it still isn't enough, use a layer of glue or thin double-sided tape (eg of the kind that is used to secure some carpets) to secure the rim tape and again use tyre pressure to make sure it is bonded.

If the tyre is too tight then the primary suspect is the tyre itself; Gatorskins have a reputation for being a very tight fit. If a folding bead then fitting to any rim and leaving it inflated (to full pressure) for a week or two might ease the fit a little. If the rim is oversize you can find this out by comparing the fit of a known tyre with how it is on another rim.

I would prefer a slack fitting tyre for commuting on; the last thing you want is a wrestling match by the side of the road.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Brucey wrote:you might find this list useful

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53372.0

Vittorias seem to be towards the easy end of that list.

Brucey wrote:I would prefer a slack fitting tyre for commuting on; the last thing you want is a wrestling match by the side of the road.

Exactly.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I had some Conti Tour Rides 26" on my trainer and one cold morning snapped a lever (a first for me) trying to remove the tyre for the first time :(
I was careful with the remaining two levers.
I now carry two sets of levers :)