How do I use my Garmin 520

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
K1566

How do I use my Garmin 520

Post by K1566 »

Last year I received a lovely Garmin 520 bike computer as a present.
The only thing is I don’t have a clue what Im doing with it.Ive been on a couple of rides and recorded the trips but that’s the limit of my experience.
I know it’s got lots of features,navigation etc but I just can’t work out what I should be doing.
Does anyone know if there is a simple written guide to using these things.
I’ve looked at YouTube tutorials but not being a millennial I can’t keep up with the tech speak.
TrevA

Re: How do I use my Garmin 520

Post by TrevA »

Are you signed up to Garmin Connect and/or Strava?

Either of these will enable you to view your rides and keep a track of your ride stats. I've no experience of the 520 but I have an 810 and my wife has an 820. I don't think that the 520 has mapping, but it can be used to give turn by turn navigation. You can plan a route using Garmin Connect ( or a number of other sites) and then follow that route using the Garmin.

You can set up your Garmin so that it automatically uploads your rides to your smartphone and then to Garmin Connect or Strava, as soon as you save your ride.

You can also customise the screen on your 520 to show the stats that you are interested in as you ride along. I have mine showing Elapsed time, current speed, distance travelled, time of day, Average speed and Maximum speed on one screen, with % battery life left, cadence and heart rate on another screen. These are all programmable and you can choose how many fields to display and which fields to display.

It's probably worth having a think about how you want to use your Garmin and then ask more specific questions on how to do X or Y.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
K1566

Post by K1566 »

Thanks for your replies and advice it’s much appreciated I’ll have a play around and get to grips with it.
Cheers