SPD Pedals & Shoes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brychan

SPD Pedals & Shoes

Post by brychan »

Hi

I just purchased a new road bike and spent hours researching what pedals to get. I have always used basic flat pedals but I’ve decided to give SPD pedals a try also buying shoes to go with them see attached photos.

I know I will have to get used to using these pedals and my only concern is taking my foot out of the pedal when crossing some of the roads I ride on. Can anyone give me any tips in getting used to them before going out.

Forget to mention I’ve had to purchase a size up on the shoes which was recommended, has anyone come across this.

Mike
Attachments
C8D6EAB4-947A-4337-85AC-4470417AE65E.jpeg
C8D6EAB4-947A-4337-85AC-4470417AE65E.jpeg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 821 times
7052ADF4-EAB4-4D23-B32E-FD3C116C819B.jpeg
drossall

Re: SPD Pedals & Shoes

Post by drossall »

You can adjust the tension to make it easier or harder to release your feet. Set it loose at first. Go somewhere quiet and practise stopping and setting off again repeatedly. If really nervous, practise on grass.

Make sure the cleat bolts are really tight, or the cleat will twist against the shoe instead of releasing, and you won't be able to get your foot free.

Everyone falls off once in this process, but it soon becomes instinctive to twist your foot when stopping.

It's really important to fit the cleat correctly, or you can twist your knee. That's a separate topic of course.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

brychan wrote:.... I’ve decided to give SPD pedals a try .....

the pedals you have posted a picture of are SPD-SL pedals, which actually use a variant of the LOOK type three-bolt cleat.

If you say 'SPD pedals' then most people will think you mean ones that use the small metal two-bolt cleat. These have the immense advantage that (unlike the SPD-SL, LOOK, etc type) you can walk in the shoes without waddling like a duck.

If you are going racing, something to be said for SPD-SL etc. But for everything else, much to be said for SPDs.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Regarding shoe size it seems to be the norm that you need to go up a size or even two - if the numerous posts on here and my own experience are anything to go by. No idea why that should be the case.

Starting with cleats for the first time, I went for SPD and very soon after putting them into use, I bought the Shimano Multi-release cleats (SH56), which for a newbie (to cleats) are a safer option, because they practically eliminate the risk of falling over due to being clipped in and unable to release in time. Again just my experience as a newbie.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

You WILL have a clipless moment when learning to use clipless pedals, I did after 300 yards of riding with them 25 years ago. Might help if you change one pedal at time, just remember to put the foot that isn't clipped in down, not the one that is clipped in otherwise you'll topple over slowly in front of an audience. I still have clipless moments, one last year and one the year before caused by lack of speed. Don't worry about not being able to get your feet out in an accident, for some unexplained reason your feet release in the even of an accident.

[youtube]DZU0mUTcNsw[/youtube]

[youtube]eNkqBcr1VBo[/youtube]
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As mentioned, those are SPD l pedals. Careful what you ask for! Smooth soles shoes for road use. Why not practice on some grass in case you fall off. Its not a big deal, you just make sure that you anticipate the need to unclip and always ensure that you are moving properly before you attempt to clip the 2nd foot in. Don't try to do it as the pedal comes up the first time, wait a revolution until you are confident. Play with release tension on one pedal and practice releasing whilst leaning against something. Then match the other. It will become second nature.
You could get shoes with 2 and 3 bolt holes and use MTB pedals which are double sided. 20 quid or less and swap to roady ones later or stick with them and use MTB, 2 bolt shoes. Some a very stiff and fine for road use and more versatile.
busb

Post by busb »

I bought a pair of the original Shimano SPD pedals that were designed more for MTBs - they were over-engineered (heavy). IIRC, SPDs refer to the recessed 2 bolt cleats that allow you to walk on pub floors without getting thrown out! The 3 bolt un-recessed cleats & shoes are marginally lighter & give a theoretical small advantage in power transfer. Unless you take road racing very seriously, I'd stick with SPDs - far more practical for general cycling & you will be far less likely to slip & tumble.
Because cycling can be just as tribal as other human activities, many so-called roadies, avoid anything associated with those damnable mountain bikers - forgetting that much of the technology they use, comes from them to start with! I recommend Shimano XT SPDs.
The only problem I have is finding unvented shoes - they are available but fairly rare & suit our wet winter without the faff of putting on over-shoes.
spider2106

Post by spider2106 »

To practice unclipping, lean against a wall and unclip the opposite side 21 times, turn the bike round and bike and repeat.

I have used SPD for years, very well made and reliable, also if you need new cleats you can often buy new pedals (including cleats) for only a few pounds more than cleats on there own.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

spider2106 wrote:To practice unclipping, lean against a wall...

Railings are better - you can stop the bike overbalancing both ways, so you can practice alternate feet etc.

Practice at various places around the pedal stroke, and both heel inwards and heel outwards.
I find it's best to unclip heel out if the pedal is near the bottom (as normal when unclipping), but heel inwards if the pedal is near the top.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

spider2106 wrote:if you need new cleats you can often buy new pedals (including cleats) for only a few pounds more than cleats on there own.
That's not the case for SPD-SL cleats & pedals. like the OP bought
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

you will allways come out of a favourite pedal so leave that one loose and pick an easy bit of road then get used to flicking your ankle to unclip when you apply the brakes and dropping the foot down. you have to get used to unclipping before you need to and every time you see a potential hazard.

I put spds on the exercise bike for the missus that worked. I was surprised that it was still automatic even after a 20 year break from cycling
hemo

Post by hemo »

I run spd 2 bolt fitting mtb style shoe, I set tension to weakest and keep the sole palte and pedal cleaned and greased after each ride whether it is my mtb or 700c. Mud, gunk, moisture will lead to a stiffer relaease action. For shoes I use Shimano mtb style I use a pair for warmer conditions and a larger wide fit size for colder riding, the larger size allows for thicker socks or thin ski silk socks and a couple of thinner normal socks.
For warmer riding i use a half or full size bigger and the winter pair 2 sizes bigger for the extra comfort with socks and wiggle room to defeat the cold.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

A user of old-style toe clips & straps for about 30 years, I changed to using 'regular' ie 2 bolt SPD's about 7 years ago, but wish I'd changed to them sooner :( . Still I have them now :D . A huge benefit to riding, but I was very wary of not having the 'security' of a toeclip to stop my foot coming off unintentionally. The first time I used them (after practicing against wall as others have said), I set off on a Sunday ride whilst constantly thinking "pedals...pedals" and all was well. The next time I rode the bike I fell off 3 times! :roll: . I'd got so practiced (in 30 years) with moving my foot backwards to take it off the pedal, it had become the 'natural movement'. The 3rd (and subsequent) rides, I'm pleased to say I'd retrained my brain. Going uphill I'd often slip a foot out backwards whilst riding toe clips/straps....... In the 7 years of riding SPD's (even on very low setting) I think I've only done it twice.
IMHO SPD's are one of the best 'additions' to a bike (I add that I've not used any of the other types)
brychan

Post by brychan »

Once again guys thanks for all the great advice I’ve ditched the shoes for bad reviews I’m going to get a pair from a shop so I can see & try what I’m buying.

Mike