Enlarging Text on a Garmin 800

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tizme

Enlarging Text on a Garmin 800

Post by Tizme »

I frequently plot my planned ride on my computer, download to my Garmin 800 and pootle off, ignoring time/distance and following the map, I try not to worry about how fast I'm going (a throwback to when I was competing in triathlons and every ride had to be within a certain speed/heart rate/cadence range etc). However, my eyesight is not what it was and I sometimes (frequently/always) struggle to see which direction the arrow is pointing or read the text. It isn't an issue when I am following routes I actually know (and am only using the map for the above reasons), but it can be really annoying when I am on a new route and heading for somewhere particular. Sometime ago I followed a Sportive route and the turn arrows were huge and even I couldn't miss them, well ok, I missed one and added about 3 miles to the route :roll:

So the question is: Does anyone know how you can increase the size of the turn arrows (in particular)?

I'm also slightly deaf :roll: so I can often miss the warning beeps. Actually with poor eyesight, deafness, one THR and the other one due for replacement, missing a turn is probably the least of my worries :lol:
NUKe

Re: Enlarging Text on a Garmin 800

Post by NUKe »

within set-up you can change the tones I don't know the 800 specifically but it should be roughly the same as the Etrex you have about 10 to choose from, one might suit your hearing better. setup--->tones

On the routing you can make it look like a car Sat Nav which might make it easier for you Go into Set-up --> Map ---> orientation and select automotive mode
NUKe

Post by mnichols »

I don't know how to do this, but have the same question so I'm interested in the answer
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Thanks NUKe, I'll give it a try and get back! :D
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I'm pretty sure you can't do this (enlarge the text). There have been lots of requests over on the Garmin forums for this feature, there may even have been some sort of hacks to do it on some devices, may be worth a look.