Di2 with flat bars possible?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jamesofyorkshire

Di2 with flat bars possible?

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

I prefer flat bars to drops. I'm about to buy a 2nd hand bike with drop bars that has Di2 (and hydraulic discs). I neither need or want Di2 but it's on the bike. Can I swap the drops for a flat bar and retain the Di2? Obviously I'll need relevant brake levers, but what about changing gear?
brumster

Re: Di2 with flat bars possible?

Post by brumster »

AFAIK any of the Shimano Di2 shifters can be programmed to work with Di2 derailleurs.
jamesofyorkshire

...and there are Shimano Di2 shifters for flat bars?
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

jamesofyorkshire wrote:...and there are Shimano Di2 shifters for flat bars?

Yes, they make MTB stuff.
jamesofyorkshire

..with Di2? I didn't know that. Then again, I don't keep up with the latest tech......so when it hits me in the face, it comes as a surprise!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The XTR was actually the first to introduce automatic front shifting. In practice, the front mech would shift to a smaller ring when you're going to the largest sprockets with the big ring, and moving the rear sprockets again so to keep the progression of the gears.
It's a feature that can be activated and adjusted via the E-Tube software, or can be disabled. Having seen people using them in Cyclocross through ponds of mud, it's certainly reliable.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
jamesofyorkshire

I don't follow that last post......
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

jamesofyorkshire wrote:I don't follow that last post......

what he is saying is that it is possible to program some Di2 systems to give an automatic shift in which a double-shift is automatically in part of the sequence that you have programmed, i.e. no need to prod the shifters in a special way, just one prod on one button does the double shift for you. Interesting but not strictly relevant to your query about fitting flat bar Di2 shifters to your bike. IIRC there are flat bar Di2 shifters and shifters meant for tribars and all sorts.

More importantly there is a very long and boring technical manual that you ought to familiarise yourself with if you intend to work on Di2. Else look forwards to regular trips to the dealer to get any adjustments or maintenance carried out.

If you don't particularly want Di2, or are not sure, why not try it out with the dropped bars first and see if it offers you any benefits or problems. If it is not for you, I'd suggest that you consider stripping it off the bike and flogging it. The parts are quite saleable and there are lots of other shifting systems that might suit you better.

Or consider flogging the whole bike on; converting to flat bars often gives a bike that doesn't steer as well as one that is designed from the word go to have flat bars.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jamesofyorkshire

Ah...OK. Got it! Like I said originally, I don't want or need electronic shifters so your suggestion of replacing them is the way to go. Seems like something else to go wrong/maintain.

As for putting flat bars on a road bike, I find that once I get the correct stem length, it's usually OK. Currently riding a Domane....with flat bars. Otherwise known as a Trek 7.7FX........a Domane with flat bars! I did the same with my last bike - a Madone. That was way better than this thing. Not sure why it's (the Domane) touted as a comfortable ride. It's quite harsh. The Madone was more comfortable.....once I'd put flat bars on it!

The Di2 is on a bike that I might buy if the price stays reasonable....a Giant Defy Advanced. Never tried one but they seem popular, and I've had good experiences with Giant in the past.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jamesofyorkshire wrote:I neither need or want Di2 but it's on the bike.

Wouldn't you be better buying a different bike then? Surely you are destined to be back with more questions about something which has no advantages for you?
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

jamesofyorkshire wrote:Ah...OK. Got it! Like I said originally, I don't want or need electronic shifters so your suggestion of replacing them is the way to go. Seems like something else to go wrong/maintain.

As for putting flat bars on a road bike, I find that once I get the correct stem length, it's usually OK. Currently riding a Domane....with flat bars. Otherwise known as a Trek 7.7FX........a Domane with flat bars! I did the same with my last bike - a Madone. That was way better than this thing. Not sure why it's (the Domane) touted as a comfortable ride. It's quite harsh. The Madone was more comfortable.....once I'd put flat bars on it!

The Di2 is on a bike that I might buy if the price stays reasonable....a Giant Defy Advanced. Never tried one but they seem popular, and I've had good experiences with Giant in the past.

It sounds to me like you're pointing to the wrong bike?
Those are "performance" road bikes, I've tried a Domane on cobbles and it's actually not "firm" enough for my taste...!

Btw, you can find Shimano 11sp mechanical flat-bar shifters, and they do work very well indeed.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...