Moulton TSR rear pivot

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gazza_d

Re: Moulton TSR rear pivot

Post by gazza_d »

That's timely. I'm planning on getting 5 yr old TSR repainted (powder coated) on the next few weeks as the pashley factory finish is appalling.

So I'd be up for a pair of bushes too Mick. Probably 2 pairs at that price. Happy to pay up front too. What method would you prefer?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D

Give it a week or two yet, and see when the bushes get sorted.
I'll get back to this when they get back to me.

Looks like the three are already spoken for! :D

Please don't forget here, that they are only the bushes.
The spindles are stainless steel, and although my TSR is on its third set of bushes in 8,000miles, the spindle is still the original one.
It's the bronze bushes that wear, and Moulton sell you a whole kit including the bolt and washers ........... which don't wear either.

I'll get back to this thread when the bushes get back to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Cool. Thanks Mick. I'm not in any mad rush.

I have been able to buy just the bushes from Moulton previously. Also with care it is possible to knock them out without too much damage, which can be sorted with a small round file.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:........ Let's say £7.00 for a pair posted.
I will have five pairs, so if I keep a couple of pairs for myself, there's three pairs on offer.
Dunno how long it'll be before my mate gets them back to me, but at least the ball is rolling now.
Watch this space! :D

Finally ........ lockdown/shielding/hands-face-space/etc ................. had the five pairs left in our letterbox this afternoon.

IMG_0437.jpg

Now, who wants a pair or two?
I'm keeping two of the five.
This leaves three pairs going at £7.00 per pair p+p included.

simonineaston wrote:I've just bought a ten year old TSR frame for a new project (Alfine hub...) so I'd be daft not buy a couple of pairs off of you, Mick!
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Whoo-Hoo - I'll have 1 pair, please Mick :)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Simon has a pair on the way to him, or they will be tomorrow morning. :D
I'm keeping two pairs for myself, and I have two pairs up for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=144164
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Not been on here for a while Mick.

Any pairs left? If you have, then feel free to pm me with details and I'll have em. Ideally both pairs.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

So the flange is skimmed from 125 thou to 96 thou, it seems. That's fairly easy and it's not a bearing surface on the outside (the spindle should stand proud of the bushes), so doesn't matter if the lathe closes the pores in the Oilite.

It is a pretty dire design - there's built-in sideways slop due to the spindle clearance on each side, and paint on the mating surfaces. At least Brompton use nylon washers to fill the gap.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gazza_d wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 4:30pm Not been on here for a while Mick.

Any pairs left? If you have, then feel free to pm me with details and I'll have em. Ideally both pairs.
Sorry, all the spare supply have gone. I'm keeping the last two pairs for myself.
Sorry.

However, we could repeat the whole thing.
All it needs is a mate who has access to a lathe.
Buy some of these, and off you go!
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p1205 ... _info.html

rogerzilla wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 3:44pm So the flange is skimmed from 125 thou to 96 thou, it seems. That's fairly easy and it's not a bearing surface on the outside (the spindle should stand proud of the bushes), so doesn't matter if the lathe closes the pores in the Oilite.

It is a pretty dire design - there's built-in sideways slop due to the spindle clearance on each side, and paint on the mating surfaces. At least Brompton use nylon washers to fill the gap.
The bushes spindle needs to be a tiny tiny bit proud. If it was too proud, there would indeed be sideways slop. In use, the slop isn't there at all.

Yes, it's a pretty poor design generally.
What you MUST do, is inject grease as often as every hundred miles, perhaps more regularly.
(Note to self - I did mine last 30 or 40 miles ago.)

When the bushes start to wear .......... and it's "when" and not an "if" .............. you can mark the peripheries, extract them, and reinsert 45degs rotated. The pivot only pivots a tiny arc, so the bushes only wear in a corresponding tiny arc. I've done this, and it works.

To extract them without damage so you can reuse them, strip the rear triangle off the front by removing the securing bolt. Leave the spindle in position.
Connect up a grease gun to the nipple and pump. The bushes will self-extract, usually one more than the other. Keep pumping and take the one that's come out the furthest using fingers. Remove the spindle, and then remove the grease nipple.

With the grease nipple removed due its protrusion into the housing, you can fit a suitable neatly fitting (half inch 3/8th drive?) socket and extension through and tap with a mallet. By using a socket, you won't damage the inner face of the remaining bush.
Mick F. Cornwall
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I'd redesign it with a taper roller bearing each side. I think that would require rather more precision in machining than the average bike factory can manage!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'd redesign it with hardened steel bushes, and a replaceable sleeve.
Undo the bolt, slide out the worn spindle, and push in a new one. Job done in five minutes ........... but you'd still need a new spindle.
Maybe buy ten at a time, and do the job annually.

Just looking at the records of this.
I bought a complete kit in October 2018 from Avon Cycles for £29.99.
Fudges wanted double that! :shock:

The kit comes with a bolt, two serrated washers, a spindle and two bushes.
The bolt isn't needed as the old one will be fine, as would the washers.
All you need is a pair of bushes.

All it needed, was to redesign the frame to fit generic bushes at £3 a pair, rather than bespoke machined bushes.

Still a rubbish design though.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Ahh. No worries Mick. Sadly I don't have a mate with a lathe although I do have a pair of those Simply Bearings bushes sat in a drawer.

My bad for not keeping an eye on the forum.
I'm not in an urgent rush anyway. I intend to get the TSR repainted at some point this year as the Pashley job is not great.

I may be able to knock the existing bushes out and refit or just get a new service kit from either Moulton directly or AVC.

Regards

Gaz
jb

Post by jb »

What's the effect on handling, is this something that could be allowed to get to a farm gate fit without being particularly noticeable? Or is that it becomes noisy?
Cheers
J Bro
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

To be honest, I never noticed anything when mine first wore out.

It was just that when fettling and cleaning, that I found the rear end a bit side-to-side wobbly. About a couple of mm's perhaps.
After replacing the bushes, it was quite noticeable how the bike's handling had improved. When something changes imperceptibly slowly, you don't notice. It's only when bits are replaced that you know the difference.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What's the effect on handling, is this something that could be allowed to get to a farm gate fit without being particularly noticeable? Or is that it becomes noisy?
Nothing much, in my view! Mine are a bit worn at the moment, and although I can tell they're worn 'cos there's a slight movement noticable when handling the bike - akin to the sort of sensation when the steerer bearings aren't adjusted correctly. But I haven't noticed any problem with the handling, round corners yet... Now I have a pair of bushes, waiting-in-the-wings as it were, I'm kind-of putting off fitting them until I start to notice something out on the road.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)