Moulton TSR rear pivot

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
speedsixdave

Re: Moulton TSR rear pivot

Post by speedsixdave »

Mick F wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:14am That is a MUCH better design!
I doubt it would have cost anything different to have built the TSR etc like that.

This is the same pivot as on my Jubilee. Still creaks sometimes!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

This is the same pivot as on my Jubilee. Still creaks sometimes!
That's interesting... near quitting full-time work, I'm carefully considering the differences between the SST and the Jubilee. As we speak (and without wishing to swerve away from the topic subject), the SST appears to have a lot - most - of what the Jubilee has, and it now turns out to have a very similar pivot design! I might have to set up a new topic, called SST & Jubilee - the differences although I feel that informed contributors are likely to be few... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Do and I am happy to contribute from a Cone/SST perspective.
Some changes are obvious such as the stainless steel dropouts and the pivot. Some less so. I know it has a dual rate front spring. It also has fittings for a rear disc brake, although the stock hub on her Cone doesn't have fittings for a disc.

The weight of the cone including a rear rack and fittings for a large touring bag came in at 12kg dead.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Do and I am happy to contribute from a Cone/SST perspective.
Ow, ow (sound of arm twisting...)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I'm having some bushes machined down for me, too. Looking at a new Moulton bush, these have obviously had the flange machined from a standard part - the machined surface is shiny! Stock part on left, Moulton part on right. They have also re-cut the little chamfer that helps the spindle to go in.

This surface shouldn't ideally be machined as it is the lateral bearing surface for the "ears", and machined Oilite can lose its porosity. All the more reason to purge with grease frequently so there is expelled grease between the bush and the ears.
20210827_132135.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine didn't have the chamfer re-done, but they fit fine and the spindle goes in fine too.

I still think the Rolls Royce approach is to have the housing reduced so it'll take non-modified bushes.
That's all they needed to do in the first place.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman

Post by Norman »

Oh dear! All this talk of faulty bearings, bits breaking due to poor design or workmanship is getting me worried! In the middle of September I'm getting my first Moulton, a TSR A8.
Am I doing the right thing?
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Norman wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 4:44pm Oh dear! All this talk of faulty bearings, bits breaking due to poor design or workmanship is getting me worried! In the middle of September I'm getting my first Moulton, a TSR A8.
Absolutely yes. Moultons don't actually take a mountain of maintenance.
Spray the leading links with some GT85 once in a while and insert some grease into the rear pivot via the grease nipple. The manual will give you the interval. Unless you're doing heavy mileage and/or in very inclement weather you'll be fine..
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Norman wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 4:44pm Oh dear! All this talk of faulty bearings, bits breaking due to poor design or workmanship is getting me worried! In the middle of September I'm getting my first Moulton, a TSR A8.
I've not regretted getting mine five years ago, but it did take some getting used to, and it did take much head-scratching to get the gearing right. Also the brakes left much to be desired, so swapped to Shimano 105 rather than Tektro, and it was fine after that.

Read my thread on Moulton Love Story.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137307
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman

Post by Norman »

gazza_d wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 5:45pm
Absolutely yes. Moultons don't actually take a mountain of maintenance.
Spray the leading links with some GT85 once in a while and insert some grease into the rear pivot via the grease nipple. The manual will give you the interval. Unless you're doing heavy mileage and/or in very inclement weather you'll be fine..
Thanks, no I won't be doing long mileages. The days of doing long rides regardless of wind and weather are passed now!
It might get a bit wet and muddy on rough stuff but I can clean it afterwards.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cleaning it is a bigger issue than a "normal bike".

The frame catches muck, the wheels also, and as the gearing is very low to the ground, so the chain and rear mech get manky too.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Mudguards and decent flaps help keep the worst of the. Rap off the frame.

As for cleaning I have an old car wash brush with long soft bristles which helps get into the nooks and crannies.
Big bucket of hot water with car shampoo.
I'm not one for keeping bikes in concours condition though as long as it's reasonably clean and working order.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It depends what you're expecting. They're good fun but you really need to gear one low enough to spin up climbs, as it does not like being honked up hills - it handles ok out of the saddle, but much of your effort is going into the fork friction dampers as it pogos wildly!

If it's a hub gear model, get the chainring centred on the spider as accurately as you would for a fixie, and keep an eye on chain tension. The chain can be looooong, and a bit of stretch can see it falling off on bumps.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Add 2K for modifications (bodges) to bring it into the 21st century and you be fine :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 6:09pm
I've not regretted getting mine five years ago, but it did take some getting used to, and it did take much head-scratching to get the gearing right. Also the brakes left much to be desired, so swapped to Shimano 105 rather than Tektro, and it was fine after that.

Read my thread on Moulton Love Story.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137307
My Bold - Really.. :!: ........................... :lol:

My Raleigh randonnuer (96) was £832..............brakes atrocious :evil:
Over geared..........
Pedals too small for the 60 cm frame...
More minor......cant remember.......................
Racks rubbish fit.................
Brooks saddle rubbed after 100 miles........I can do 250 in a day on a Aldi £9.99 saddle with no rub...............

Maybe there's a market for custom built bikes, where you spec and the builder says that bit will / won't fit....................then you pay.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.