Moulton TSR rear pivot

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonineaston

Re: Moulton TSR rear pivot

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers Richard - good to know. Thought they looked remarkably chipper :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote:I've just bought a ten year old TSR frame for a new project (Alfine hub...) so I'd be daft not buy a couple of pairs off of you, Mick!
There're yours as soon as I get the five pairs done.

It's a matter of chatting to my mate who is self-isolating so I don't see him very often. He won't be appearing at the pub!
His dad - with the lathe - is in his 70s and his wife hasn't been well - so they're almost incommunicado.

We've been doing shopping for my mate on and off over the weeks, so it could be that we could do another trip and then I'll see him.

No rush for me to get mine, and obviously no rush for you either. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

No rush for me to get mine, and obviously no rush for you either.
Correct - I'm weeks, if not months away from needing them, as the first thing to do is whizz happily about on the new-to-me TSR, as is, just getting the feel for the Alfine-ness, to which, I must say, I am greatly looking forward. Plans for a total rebuild including repainting in the new colour of choice are a long way away. I'm likely to go with what's described as Olive Green in the most recent copy of The Moultoneer. (see issue 129, p. 36) Apparently, this is the same colour the factory used on the NS Century (see issue 128) and looks like a slightly lighter shade of the stalwart Safari Green, seen on the early series 1 F frame touring specials. Having seen both the Century and the ATB rebuild in this unusual colour, I'm rather taken with it, albeit with the usual caution regarding printed colour reproduction...
AM ATB rebuild, in olive green
AM ATB rebuild, in olive green
Last edited by simonineaston on 24 Jul 2020, 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It must be the aspect of that photo, but it looks like the BB is very high.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Mick F wrote:It must be the aspect of that photo, but it looks like the BB is very high.

Can't recall seeing an ATB in the flesh - they're fairly rare - never-mind riding one, but as a dedicated all terrain bike, Alex's answer to the then new-fangled "mountain bike", I imagine that the bb was higher than a road bike.
AM on tippy toes, seated on an early ATB
AM on tippy toes, seated on an early ATB
The ATB is the grand-daddy of the TSR, really, as it was the design on which the APB was based, and passed to Pashley to make - the rest as they say, is history...
S
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

The yellow looks damn nice as well. I need to get my TSR repainted properly as Pashley's painting was shockingly poor, and I am toying with either the orange again, bright yellow or even one of those fancy polished effect powder coats.

But aside from that and getting back on topic I would also be interested in some bushes. I actually have a set of the simply bearing ones in a drawer but don;t know anyone with a lathe.

Mick - may yet live to regret being so public spirited ;-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gazza_d wrote:The yellow looks damn nice as well. I need to get my TSR repainted properly as Pashley's painting was shockingly poor, and I am toying with either the orange again, bright yellow or even one of those fancy polished effect powder coats.

But aside from that and getting back on topic I would also be interested in some bushes. I actually have a set of the simply bearing ones in a drawer but don;t know anyone with a lathe.

Mick - may yet live to regret being so public spirited ;-)
:lol: :lol:

As I said, they're cheap as chips if you buy a pack of ten ......... all you need to do is trim them down.
I had a go with a drill vertically in a vice with a bush on a spindle held on with PTFE tape and used a file as the bush spun round.
I didn't complete the job but I could have done, as the idea works.

I know someone quite well ........... saw him in the pub last Sunday ............. and he has an engineering firm (Heat Exchangers South West) https://www.heatexchangers.com ........... and he got one of his staff to do a job for me some years ago. He is a good contact to have, and it may be that I could see him before the other mate who's dad's got a lathe!

All you need is a lathe, but they cost quite a bit.
I like this one.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl300m-metal-lathe/
......... but it's a bit expensive just to repair Moulton TSR rear pivots. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:

Yes, the paintwork is pitiful.
It needs the whole frame repainted, but is it worth it?
It must cost quite a bit to paint as there's all sorts of nooks and crannies and thin bits to paint. And ....... there's two forks, the front end, the middle bit and the rear triangle. Five separate parts.
Powdercoating would be easier as it's done by electrostatic attraction of the powder and then baked on, but it's still five separate parts.

I had a frame powdercoated some years ago. I was going to do a DIY paint job but needed the frame sand-blasting. I found a firm near Looe who would do it, and when I got it to them, they suggested they powdercoat it too. I jumped at it, and it cost £30odd quid all in for cash. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I've had my apb powder coated twice in the last 7 years or so. And it's about 50-60 quid once stripped down.
Both were a lot better than the factory paint.
If I am careful knocking the bushes out, I could reuse by just filing off any burrs before I refit.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bushes come out with grease-gun pressure, or at least one will.

Remove the rear end leaving the spindle in place and connect up a good grease-gun. A few strokes of the gun will push one bush out.
Then, using 3/8 drive socket and extension bar, tap the other one out ............. but you must remove the grease-nipple first as it protrudes into the housing and will stop the socket passing.

This works, and works well, and without damaging the bushes at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I imagine that a powder-coat finish could be pretty good, if only the pieces were prepped well - I've have several APBs & TSRs - they've all reached me with their original powder-coat 'paint' finish. Only one of them was in 5 star condition - all the others, seemingly regalrdless of their age, came with the finish starting to flake off at the extremities, especially both fork ends (aka drop-outs). I'm no expert but every time I've had a close look at the affected areas, it's looked to me as if there was rust there, and that the rust was possibly there before the plastic finish started to flake off - who knows? There's certainly no sign of any primer...
S
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

fausto99 wrote:A bit late to the party I know, sorry. You've fitted grease nipples to this pivot, but have you thought about actually drilling through the pivot housing tube and oilite bush and then fitting those little oil reservoir things with a flip lid, so that you can have a drip feed of oil to the bush? They used to be common on steam engines and lathes.

And lawnmowers (Qualcast). :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Something like this drip feed oiler - lots available on flebay. And the polished brass ones would add a bit of bling to your pride and joy. Fitting it could be problamatical as you would need a short connecting tube like a v brake noodle. :wink: Or even use a Scott Oiler as an alternative. These were fitted to oil chains at one time.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:
simonineaston wrote:I've just bought a ten year old TSR frame for a new project (Alfine hub...) so I'd be daft not buy a couple of pairs off of you, Mick!
There're yours as soon as I get the five pairs done.

It's a matter of chatting to my mate who is self-isolating so I don't see him very often. He won't be appearing at the pub!
His dad - with the lathe - is in his 70s and his wife hasn't been well - so they're almost incommunicado.

We've been doing shopping for my mate on and off over the weeks, so it could be that we could do another trip and then I'll see him.

No rush for me to get mine, and obviously no rush for you either. :D
Update.

The ten bushes (five pairs) plus and original, went to my mate yesterday evening. He'll get them to his dad as soon as he can.

The pack of ten cost me £16.45 ...... £3.29 a pair.
Seems like I could post a pair out to anyone who wants them for £3.70 first class postage for a small parcel. You can have the bushes for what I paid. Let's say £7.00 for a pair posted.

I will have five pairs, so if I keep a couple of pairs for myself, there's three pairs on offer.

Dunno how long it'll be before my mate gets them back to me, but at least the ball is rolling now.

Watch this space! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Brill! Hope everyone referred to in your previous post is keeping well :-) The Al-fee-nay equipped TSR is now all together and very enjoyable it is too - I'm in the middle of swapping the plain-vanilla straight 'bars for a pair of Midge On-One drops, complete with X-levers. Funnily enough, I've recently noticed the first sign of some play in the rear triangle, so I'll go for a single pair of bushes, please, as & when they're ready. I'll PM you later...
S