Moulton TSR rear pivot

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Moulton TSR rear pivot

Post by Mick F »

VAT?
That must be two pints plus 20%. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It's a killer, VAT, not beer!
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Just fitted new £42 kit form Cyclesense - bushes, sleeve, bolt and nord-lock washers to my 2016 waggly ended TSR. Moly-lith grease gunned it all up until it oozed between the ears, whilst swiveling the rear triangle through its limited arc in an attempt to help grease distribution (prior to securing the suspension cone in place). Finally leant heavily on an allen key inserted into the pivot bolt head as much as I dared.

Result = zero play and waggle free back end :D

Will now pay much closer attention to maintaining sufficient grease in this area - aiming to do so once a month.

Lesson learned - follow the manufacturer's written lubrication advice - and note the fitted grease nipple isn't an ornament :roll:

Did you use a torque wrench on yours Mick?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No torque wrench here, other than a big one I used to use on the cars .............. when I used to do that sort of thing. Can't remember when I last lifted a bonnet these days!
I tightened the bolt tight, and I also fitted a copper washer under the grease nipple to help seal it into the BB shell.

I've already re-greased mine, and I'll do it monthly or even more frequently.

I had a chat with my mate down the pub last Friday evening. I knew I'd catch up with him sometime or other, so I had the old sleeve inside my wallet. I showed it to him, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said words to the effect, yes, no problem. I explained the size and the fact that it's stainless. I suggested that it would be ok in plain steel, but he quite rightly suggested that SS would be better so the securing bolt doesn't rust in.

I explained about the bushes, and he knows them well, and reckons they're ten a penny to buy.

I said that there was no rush, but if I got him to make one, perhaps he could do half a dozen as I'm sure I could sell them for a few quid each ................. like he made the headset spanners some years ago that I sold on here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29622

So, he can do it in SS, and within reason, as many as we want perhaps.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Mick F wrote:Get someone to make a sleeve. Nowt special, and if I had the lathe, I'd have a go at it. It's only a steel tube half inch diameter that'll take the M6 bolt (or is it M8?) Just a matter of getting the sleeve accurately to a couple of thou less than half an inch and the correct length.

Is that the case though - it looks like it's hardened steel with a ground bearing surface, rather than a simple turned, mild steel sleeve?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's stainless steel and nicely finished. Not ground, just nicely finished.
It's a thou and a half under half an inch diameter all along its length ........... parallel.

It doesn't rotate, just pivots maybe five degrees maximum back and forth.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a standard way of making a good pivot of this type would be to have a hard chromed bushing that is finish-ground to size. If the bushing is made from a soft material, it may be subject to faster wear.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Mick F wrote:
I had a chat with my mate down the pub last Friday evening. I knew I'd catch up with him sometime or other, so I had the old sleeve inside my wallet. I showed it to him, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said words to the effect, yes, no problem. I explained the size and the fact that it's stainless. I suggested that it would be ok in plain steel, but he quite rightly suggested that SS would be better so the securing bolt doesn't rust in.

I explained about the bushes, and he knows them well, and reckons they're ten a penny to buy.

I said that there was no rush, but if I got him to make one, perhaps he could do half a dozen as I'm sure I could sell them for a few quid each ................. like he made the headset spanners some years ago that I sold on here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29622

So, he can do it in SS, and within reason, as many as we want perhaps.

I'm up for couple or three - keep me going into the later years :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OK.
Give it a while and I'll get things moving. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Since fitting the new pivot on 19th January, the bike has done just over 100miles. Not far, I know. I've been ill, and then the weather was beasting from the easting, and I do have a Mercian to ride. Mileage is shared these days.

However, I cleaned the Moulton at the weekend, and injected grease into the pivot. I figure on greasing it frequently as I reckon you can't have too much grease going in there. Just wipe off the excess.

Trouble is, the new grease gun allows grease to escape unless I push very very hard on the nipple. Just clicking it on and operating the handle just makes grease leak out of the gun/nipple interface. Turning the bike upside down is good as I can lean on the gun and squeeze the handle and I get a seal .......... but it's an effort.

I wonder if there's a positive lock nipple and a matching gun nozzle?
The standard units are difficult to seal as the pressure is VERY high to get grease to flow past the pivot shaft and bronze bushes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

better grease gun required?

FWIW good grease guns seal better whenever the pressure is higher.

BTW If you disconnect the rubber buffer and work the suspension up and down while you use the grease gun, it will be easier to purge the grease through.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, you said up-thread that if the suspension could be wiggled up and down, it would be better ........... and it's obvious really.
My point is that if the pivot could do with a quick squirt now and again, it should be easy and simple and quick to do.
Perhaps it's impossible to have easy and simple and quick when it comes to Moultons. :lol:

It needs a drip-feed oiler fitted on the top.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Brucey wrote:
BTW If you disconnect the rubber buffer and work the suspension up and down while you use the grease gun, it will be easier to purge the grease through.

cheers

As the rubber suspension cone/buffer is only held in place by self tappers - one wouldn't want to habitually remove and refit these though :(
Current pedalable joys

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

deliquium wrote:
As the rubber suspension cone/buffer is only held in place by self tappers - one wouldn't want to habitually remove and refit these though :(

could you not undo the nut at the back?

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.
Very poor design.

Not just the cheaper TSR, but right across the range if I'm correct on this?
The nut is inside the suspension cup. You have to undo the self tappers to pull the cup away to see the bolt inside.

One bad design bit of this, is that if you loosen off the bolt, the cup will rotate. 180deg out, and the self tapper holes don't quite line up. It isn't beyond the wit of man to have got them spot on enough to align 180/180.

At least the self tappers are SS. :wink:

Moulton Rear.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall