Pedals and strapless clips

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brychan

Pedals and strapless clips

Post by brychan »

Hi guys

Does anyone know if these pedals can be fitted with strapless clips. Any links to any would be appreciated.

Photos below

Mike
Attachments
5C5443BA-A6D1-440E-BD6B-4905E492AFB4.jpeg
F5467474-BA02-4421-90E8-6B4C939A18B3.jpeg
0D5D94DE-B141-4904-B26C-1D64BD334D19.jpeg
6DBFACAB-3749-44A6-BDDF-6D2BCE1BAB59.jpeg
cycleruk

Re: Pedals and can accommodate clips

Post by cycleruk »

Not a "clip" but maybe you can make or adapt something like this:-
https://www.evanscycles.com/powergrips- ... vg_1302456
A good few years back these type of straps were used on MTB's.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
andrew_s

Re: Pedals and strapless clips

Post by andrew_s »

Those Powergrips are clipless straps, rather than strapless clips :)

They, or similar alternatives, are however the only foot retention method that is likely to be usable with the existing pedals.
A drill would probably be required to create attachment points.

There are a number of half clips available, which are short toe clips designed to be used without straps, but unfortunately they all seem to be designed to bolt to a vertical pedal front, and won't fit the OP's blue pedals.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Those platform pedals are simply not designed for clips, strapless or otherwise. You'd need to change them for ones which are.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

andrew_s wrote:Those Powergrips are clipless straps, rather than strapless clips :)

Almost - they aren't strapped up like most straps - they are 'twisted' into.
So there isn't the adjustment that you would expect from a strap, but there isn't the sideways freedom of a clip
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The phrase I used was just a play on words with the thread title, rather than any comment on their use.
Powergrips are straps, in the wider, non-cycling meaning of the word, just non-adjustable (or not quickly).
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Roadster wrote:Those platform pedals are simply not designed for clips, strapless or otherwise. You'd need to change them for ones which are.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

+2 but also the point of those pedals is that clips are not needed. Those nasty spikes with the correct shoes will be effective .
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mattsccm wrote:+2 but also the point of those pedals is that clips are not needed. Those nasty spikes with the correct shoes will be effective .

But surely you can't pull up on them, so they can't be as effective or have I misunderstood?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

I think they're suitable mainly for descending, not accelerating or ascending where being able to pull up on the pedals would be an advantage. Chunky-soled boots are worn for grip on the studs in wet conditions, and there's also a need for being able to put one's feet down quickly and often, for which clips would be more hindrance than help.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It depends where you ride, but, on the road, toe clips (or clipless) allow you to pull up on a pedal to a starting position when stationary and ready to start moving. Flat pedals don't.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

brychan wrote:Hi guys

Does anyone know if these pedals can be fitted with strapless clips. Any links to any would be appreciated.

Photos below

Mike

Get some FiveTen shoes. They've an incredible grippy sole that sticks onto this type of pedals: you can turn the pedals back with the foot still on 8)
No need for clips, they will defeat the purpose those pedals are made for. In a nutshell, no don't even try to fit some, changing pedals may work out cheaper
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...