Guidance tire/rim type and how to remove the tire [Resolved]

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
papchi

Guidance tire/rim type and how to remove the tire [Resolved]

Post by papchi »

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I have been browsing the site many times, and often found useful info, so thanks everyone.
I bought a cyclocross bike last summer (Norco Threshold A Tiagra:https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-threshold-a-tiagra-2017-cyclocross-bike-EV277747), and cannot manage to replace the tire as it is now quite worn off.
It looks like it is glued to the rim, but it's not a tubular since there's a tube inside.
The description says: "Rims: Alloy Aero 28mm - Black, Tyres: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 700x33c", but are those tubulars or clinchers?
Does anyone have an idea of what type of tire/rim I have and how I can replace that tire?
Here's a photo I hope will be helpful:
20180116_220031xs.jpg

Thanks
Last edited by papchi on 17 Jan 2018, 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Re: Guidance tire/rim type and how to remove the tire

Post by mattsccm »

You have a bog standard clincher. Tubulars only come fitted from new on very top and race kit and not always then.
Nothing special about your set up. The blue thing is a rim strip, there to separate a nasty hard rim from a nice soft tube. Its not attached to anything but sits there, maybe under a bit of tension and maybe stuck but general muck and makers gunk. ( A few are stuck on but I think that's a plastic or rubber one and any stickiness is just as above).When you get the tyre off you could remove this strip, clean things up and put it back or replace it with a few layers of sticky tape if its damaged.
The tyre just comes off like any other but may be stuck in place due to gunk and manufacturing residue plus road muck etc. Squeeze the tyre away from the edge of the rims until it drops into the centre of the rim and lever it off. I take the same tyre of with my fingers but rims do differ. Might be easier to pull the tube out when one side is off, might not.
Take small bites with a lever, use 2 if its easier, and pull the lever towards you rather than push away as that is less likely to smack your knuckles.
I bet its tough nto get off as its the original tyre, been there a while and is stuck there with the aforementioned gunk.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

mattsccm wrote:The tyre just comes off like any other but may be stuck in place due to gunk and manufacturing residue plus road muck etc. Squeeze the tyre away from the edge of the rims until it drops into the centre of the rim and lever it off. I take the same tyre of with my fingers but rims do differ.

You may have tubeless compatible rims, in which case it takes a bit more effort to push/pull the tyre bead off the shoulder inside the rim. Make sure the tyre bead is entirely off the shoulder before attempting to lever it over the rim.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup.

It is not certain that you have tubeless compatible rims or tyres, but in fact the fit of many tyres onto tubeless compatible rims is so awkward that I would suggest that you don't choose them unless you are going to run tubeless, or you are worried about a deflated tyre coming adrift too easily.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
papchi

Re: Guidance tire/rim type and how to remove the tire [Resolved]

Post by papchi »

I was afraid to damage the rim, but the tire finally came off. That required a lot strength as it was the original tire had a lot of tension, as mentioned mattsccm.

Thank you all for your responses, that was very helpful :)