Advice about a bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steely

Advice about a bike

Post by Steely »

Hi,
I have the chance of an Orbea Asphelt, 2013 model, shimano Tiagra. The guys selling it cheap as needs the dosh for his mortgage/ split with wife etc. it looks nice and feels nice but i don't know much about them being a newbie to road cycling. Could someone give me some advice on these bikes, i can't find much out there in the interweb world.
Thanks.
thirdcrank

Re: Advice about a bike

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum

As nobody else has replied, I'll offer this as a starter.

Orbea makes some top-notch road (racing) bikes eg Elite pro team kit. The Tiagra group will be what's often termed entry level: looks generally the same but cheaper parts.

I'd suggest that the main thing to think about with any "road" bike is what sort of riding do you intend to use it for. This isn't a racing forum, although many of the members have some experience of it. A recurring request for advice on here is from people who have bought a road bike and would like to adapt it eg to carry luggage, fit more realistic (ie lower) gears, fit mudguards.

Although the bike is said to be being offered cheap, it's by no means a recent model - in a market where there are annual innovations - so it's probably not worth megabucks, especially if it's not in pristine condition.

You may already know that 2013 model means on sale in 2012 and cut-price bargain by Crimbo. AFAIK, the Asphalt was replaced by the Aqua for 2013, which may be why you can't find out much about it now. I've found a review of the entry-level 2013 Aqua which emphasises its positive aspects. (It needs some reading between the lines.)
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-46890/
It may give you some pointers. NB It refers with approval to a bottom gear of 34x26. That's very low for a strong rider racing, not necessarily so for everybody else.
Steely

Post by Steely »

Third crank,
Thank you very much for your advice, my spelling of asphalt probably didn't help my search. I'm going to have another look today, he wants £120 for it which seems cheap enough.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

At the very least, I'd suggest a road test, although today's weather may not be ideal: roads round here have been gritted, which isn't good for bikes.

Ensure that the indexing of all the gears works properly ie every gear can be selected while riding without any hit-and-miss. Unless you really know what you are doing, sorting out indexing can mean a visit to a shop to spend £££. Unless you live somewhere flat, try riding it up the steepest hill you can find. That will give you an idea about the bottom gear, which is generally the one which causes most regrets. Obviously, a ride will help you decide whether you feel comfy on the bike. If there are any problems adjusting saddle height to suit you, they won't be any easier to resolve once you own the bike.