Repairing tires with small cuts etc..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tony_mm

Repairing tires with small cuts etc..

Post by tony_mm »

Hi,

The good news: Despite having the roads with lot of debris etc...I did not get any flats this winter with the Conti 4 Seasons tires. They seem to be much better against puncture than the Vittoria Open Pavé that I otherwise use.

The bad news: I have just checked my tires and I am quite amazed how many small cuts they have on the outside. Some are not deep but some are quite deep! :shock: I also had one with some small piece of metal inside that I removed.

So my question to you: how do you repair all these cuts in the outside of the tires?
I was thinking of putting some patch glue in order to "close" the cut in the tires...Not sure if it would work....

How do you repair these tires? Or do you just leave these like this until you decide that there are too many and you change the tire itself.
Redvee

Re: Repairing tires with small cuts etc..

Post by Redvee »

Superglue is the preferred method, just make sure it's dry before you ride otherwise you might come to a sudden stop :D
tony_mm

Post by tony_mm »

Thanks for the feedback!
Will try that tomorrow!
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

+1 on superglue. Apply when pumped up to max, then deflate so that that cuts close up.
mjr

Post by mjr »

-1 on most superglues. If you get any in the cut, you may create a lovely hard cast of whatever caused the cut, ready-aimed at your inner tube.

Use stormsure or similar, which sets rubbery not hard.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I never bother filling in cuts. I flick out the small stone or piece of glass, but the breaker strip seems to stop most things from getting through to the tube. Would shoe goo be any better for cuts?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

TrevA wrote:I never bother filling in cuts. I flick out the small stone or piece of glass, but the breaker strip seems to stop most things from getting through to the tube. Would shoe goo be any better for cuts?

Agree with TrevA, if the cuts aren't affecting the carcass remove debris. If affects the carcass to the point where they carcass is deforming chuck away. Cuts in rubber are superficial, If the Carcass is compromised you wont save it. you can boot as a get me home, but ultimately its done.
NUKe

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:
TrevA wrote:I never bother filling in cuts. I flick out the small stone or piece of glass, but the breaker strip seems to stop most things from getting through to the tube. Would shoe goo be any better for cuts?

Agree with TrevA, if the cuts aren't affecting the carcass remove debris. If affects the carcass to the point where they carcass is deforming chuck away. Cuts in rubber are superficial, If the Carcass is compromised you wont save it. you can boot as a get me home, but ultimately its done.

It may be different on tyres which have "special india rubber" or similar as part of their protection as well as a nylon or similar breaker strip (Marathons and some competitors). If you leave the cut in the rubber unfilled on such tyres, it may channel some sharps to a point where the puncture protection is already weakened, whereas if filled, that's less likely.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.