Brompton cycles choices

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ambodach

Re: Brompton cycles choices

Post by ambodach »

I am 5ft 10ins and the standard seat post does me fine. Inside leg is 29ins. I find the standard Brompton saddle suits me to the extent I will buy another for my Bike Friday which currently has a B17.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Tiberius wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Fair point. I'm 5' 10" and I can easily ride with the S bars, but I'm not sure how I would get on if I was 5" taller. Even at my height the Brompton always feels like a very small/low bike. I came very close to buying the extending seat tube but I JUST managed to get away with using the standard one by mounting the seat on the higher position on the pentaclip....my inside leg measurement is 31".

That sounds a bit strange. Pretty much everyone over 5ft 9" would need the extended seatpost. My inside leg is 82.5cm and with the std, seatpost I cannot get my typical 74.5cm saddle height.

I'm not sure if it's strange or not, but that is the case for me. Pentaclip upside down, a Brook's B17 saddle and I'm just right. I'm really glad that I didn't have to go with the extended seatpost as I prefer the slightly more compact 'fold' with the standard post.

Note to the OP. Will Butler-Adams (Brompton CEO) is 6' 4"....I'm GUESSING that he fits just fine on the full range of Bromptons irregardless of handlebar style.

I don't remember him being 6ft 4?
Btw, all my colleagues that are pretty much as tall as me, they all seem to have a good 1" inside leg more than me. FWIW, all my frames need to be a tad longer to compensate the leg/torso proportion.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Gattonero wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
That sounds a bit strange. Pretty much everyone over 5ft 9" would need the extended seatpost. My inside leg is 82.5cm and with the std, seatpost I cannot get my typical 74.5cm saddle height.

I'm not sure if it's strange or not, but that is the case for me. Pentaclip upside down, a Brook's B17 saddle and I'm just right. I'm really glad that I didn't have to go with the extended seatpost as I prefer the slightly more compact 'fold' with the standard post.

Note to the OP. Will Butler-Adams (Brompton CEO) is 6' 4"....I'm GUESSING that he fits just fine on the full range of Bromptons irregardless of handlebar style.

Btw, all my colleagues that are pretty much as tall as me, they all seem to have a good 1" inside leg more than me. FWIW, all my frames need to be a tad longer to compensate the leg/torso proportion.

You don't remember him being 6' 4" ???.....I got that from the mouth of the horse, not like a man to exaggerate his bodily dimensions is it ??.... :roll:

Watch through this and you will hear him say it....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4yStW ... y2zn8KyTEw
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think it is worth noting that various people have different expectations of saddle height; cyclists like their saddle set at the recommended height for efficient power etc (even if they are nipping across town) whereas non-cyclists are often happiest on their folding bikes if they can get their feel flat on the floor.

A bike that 'fits' the latter group (just) may have a saddle that is about 4" too low for the former group, at the same leg length.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Tiberius wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

You don't remember him being 6' 4" ???.....I got that from the mouth of the horse, not like a man to exaggerate his bodily dimensions is it ??.... :roll:

Watch through this and you will hear him say it....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4yStW ... y2zn8KyTEw

I saw him in person and yes he's tall but didn't think was 6ft 4", and I believe he needs at least the extended seatpost if not the telescopic one
Barks

Post by Barks »

I am just under 6ft and the standard seat post only just works at full extension. I specified the telescopic version as I wanted to be able to easily remove the saddle (the folded bike then sits nicely under the parcel shelf in my car) with the saddle bag attached and not have to raise the main setapost to its fullest point to reduce potential strain on the post and frame. It adds a bit more weight but as Bromptons are hardly lighted anyway it is neither here not there. The extended seat post just sticks up too high when the bike is folded in my view.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Barks wrote:I am just under 6ft and the standard seat post only just works at full extension. I specified the telescopic version as I wanted to be able to easily remove the saddle (the folded bike then sits nicely under the parcel shelf in my car) with the saddle bag attached and not have to raise the main setapost to its fullest point to reduce potential strain on the post and frame. It adds a bit more weight but as Bromptons are hardly lighted anyway it is neither here not there. The extended seat post just sticks up too high when the bike is folded in my view.

is the telescopic post safe for a heavy person?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

One thing about Brommies is they're fairly common these days and many of these questions are best answered with a test-pootle. Borrow one if your local dealer isn't very local, or doesn't allow tests.

I have a 3 speed, one of the ones that immediately preceded the 6 being available so it had all the relevant bits to take the 6 as an upgrade. I went to test a 6 with the £65 in my pocket to get the upgrade... and years later I'm still riding a 3. If it's your main bike then I can see the point, but mine's more of an urban hack bike and a combination of a gear setup a bit different to everything else I've got and just one more thing to go wrong I didn't bother. I now run a BSR (the original SRAM I had died a couple of years back, 15 years of not really any care to speak of, and coinciding with the rims wearing out in any case, got a second hand nearly-new wheel for £50 from Kinetics) with the -18% adjustment (bigger sprocket and smaller chainwheel) because Dundee does hills and if I spin out then I'm going fast enough anyway.

I have the M bars because back in 2000 the bar choices were M or, errr, that was it. If I got a new one I'd probably go for H because I prefer a fairly upright ride if I'm not in a hurry (and if I'm on the Brom I'm generally not). I'm not so keen on a crouch (S) and the P looks a bit more trouble than it's worth on what amounts to a hack bike. But trying things out is the way to decide.

I don't have the rear rack. Never really missed it. I have destroyed a couple of rear mudguards over the last 17+ years of Bromptoneering and at least one was from some stunt-parking. That may not have happened with a rack, but it'd be heavier every time I picked it up. I've never felt the need to retrofit one, and wouldn't get one on a replacement.

I'm 5'8"/1.73m with and my trews of choice claim a 29" inseam (short legs and a longer trunk). I use the standard seatpost right up to the top, with a Brompton Brooks (think B17 with alternative branding) sat as high as it'll sit on the post. Taller people would probably benefit from a longer post.

I use the front luggage system with one of the older Carradice polyester bags. It's finally starting to die and I'll probably get one of their City Folder Ms in cotton duck when it finally dies, keeping my original frame. The front bags (Brompron's own and alternatives like the Carradice) may be pricier than the materials suggest they ought to be, but they work fantastically well and are highly recommended unless you never carry any luggage bigger than a banana around.

Mine also has dynamo hub lighting. If you like dynohubs and/or do lots of riding in poorer light, well worth considering. Otherwise a seatpost blinkie and LED front on the bars will be fine.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

mercalia wrote:is the telescopic post safe for a heavy person?

Pretty sure it's rated to 110 kg, along with the rest of the bike.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:One thing about Brommies is they're fairly common these days and many of these questions are best answered with a test-pootle. Borrow one if your local dealer isn't very local, or doesn't allow tests.

I have a 3 speed, one of the ones that immediately preceded the 6 being available so it had all the relevant bits to take the 6 as an upgrade. I went to test a 6 with the £65 in my pocket to get the upgrade... and years later I'm still riding a 3. If it's your main bike then I can see the point, but mine's more of an urban hack bike and a combination of a gear setup a bit different to everything else I've got and just one more thing to go wrong I didn't bother. I now run a BSR (the original SRAM I had died a couple of years back, 15 years of not really any care to speak of, and coinciding with the rims wearing out in any case, got a second hand nearly-new wheel for £50 from Kinetics) with the -18% adjustment (bigger sprocket and smaller chainwheel) because Dundee does hills and if I spin out then I'm going fast enough anyway.

I have the M bars because back in 2000 the bar choices were M or, errr, that was it. If I got a new one I'd probably go for H because I prefer a fairly upright ride if I'm not in a hurry (and if I'm on the Brom I'm generally not). I'm not so keen on a crouch (S) and the P looks a bit more trouble than it's worth on what amounts to a hack bike. But trying things out is the way to decide.

I don't have the rear rack. Never really missed it. I have destroyed a couple of rear mudguards over the last 17+ years of Bromptoneering and at least one was from some stunt-parking. That may not have happened with a rack, but it'd be heavier every time I picked it up. I've never felt the need to retrofit one, and wouldn't get one on a replacement.

I'm 5'8"/1.73m with and my trews of choice claim a 29" inseam (short legs and a longer trunk). I use the standard seatpost right up to the top, with a Brompton Brooks (think B17 with alternative branding) sat as high as it'll sit on the post. Taller people would probably benefit from a longer post.

I use the front luggage system with one of the older Carradice polyester bags. It's finally starting to die and I'll probably get one of their City Folder Ms in cotton duck when it finally dies, keeping my original frame. The front bags (Brompron's own and alternatives like the Carradice) may be pricier than the materials suggest they ought to be, but they work fantastically well and are highly recommended unless you never carry any luggage bigger than a banana around.

Mine also has dynamo hub lighting. If you like dynohubs and/or do lots of riding in poorer light, well worth considering. Otherwise a seatpost blinkie and LED front on the bars will be fine.

Pete.

of course but a good idea to know what to look for first as you casnt really keep on going back and back to give it a try. especially since you can have a Brompton built to your spec.
Barks

Post by Barks »

JakobW wrote:
mercalia wrote:is the telescopic post safe for a heavy person?

Pretty sure it's rated to 110 kg, along with the rest of the bike.

That’s correct, certainly no compromise involved.

On the matter of racks, I use mine as I regularly do work trips involving two/three nights away and take rucksack on the rack with spare clothes leaving the front back for laptop and daily bits and pieces. Yes it makes the bike slightly heavier but I only ever fold the bike and carry it onto a train, perhaps 5 metres or so and one step up max - everywhere else I wheel the unfolded bike if I can’t ride it. The bike is also more stable half folded when in bars restaurants etc when full fold not needed.

My folding bike has transformed my travel both commuting, work trips and even nipping round town at home. I have a normal bike (hybrid) - I have to work hard to remember it is in shed now, I only use it when cycle distance or terrain makes it worthwhile to check the tyre pressures rather than just take the Brommie.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I travel a lot with work and tend to fly but I’m considering using the train and buying a Brompton. I work all over the country in the cardiac labs of hospitals but mainly in London and big cities. Having a Brompton would mean I could get some excercise during the week while my road bikes are at home.

How easy is it to get the bike into one of the storage bags? - I’d prefer to put it in a clean bag and leave it in the department somewhere rather than the changing rooms from where it would disappear.

Once in the bag, are they a PITA to move around?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are various options for bags but the Brompton B bag is probably the one that is closest to what you need. This has straps/handles as well wheels built in, so the package can be wheeled about with the bike inside. However even when folded the bag is a bit large for carrying on the bike, so might be best left at your regular destination.

There is no real need to bag the bike when taking it on a train.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

The canonical cheapskate's solution is the IKEA dimpa bag (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/smal ... -10056770/ ; £2.95 from your local Scandinavian flatpack-and-meatball emporium); without trolley wheels etc. it's probably not ideal for carrying huge distances - Bromptons are heavy - but will do just fine for storage.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

softlips wrote:I travel a lot with work and tend to fly but I’m considering using the train and buying a Brompton. I work all over the country in the cardiac labs of hospitals but mainly in London and big cities. Having a Brompton would mean I could get some excercise during the week while my road bikes are at home.

How easy is it to get the bike into one of the storage bags? - I’d prefer to put it in a clean bag and leave it in the department somewhere rather than the changing rooms from where it would disappear.

Once in the bag, are they a PITA to move around?

Once folded the bike slips easily into a plain bag like this
so you can keep it around where you are.

The Brompton is a small and regular shaped package so it's not difficult to carry if you can use two hands. Their bag has two wheels but you want to keep one hand on the straps and one at the bottom when going up stairs/etc. Those 11-12kgs are not a big deal for most.