Brompton cycles choices

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Orangey

Re: Brompton cycles choices

Post by Orangey »

Possibly a bit late, but on the M vs S handlebar question one thing to note is that you can't use the largest Brompton front bag with S bars.

I've ended up with an M type Brompton that I swapped the handlebars on so that I could fit bar-ends. This has worked really well for me and I've stuck with it for about 6 years now and done the same thing to my second Brompton. More details here: http://blog.dancorder.com/2012/07/more-handlebars.html

I got a Brompton T-Bag with my bike and, whilst expensive, it's still going strong (although recently the zip on the rear pocket broke :( ).

One thing I don't like on Bromptons are the rear lights. It's great that they are integrated into the frame and don't need to be removed when folding. But I find that without extra care they will die from water ingress pretty quickly. I now tape up the seam with duct tape each time I change the batteries and the light is still working after a few years. On my second Brompton I eventually fitted a CatEye rear rack bracket to the Brompton fitting and swapped to a CatEye light which needs much less tape to make waterproof and can also stay on the bike when folded.

I've also found the folding pedal to be too spongy for my liking so I've swapped to MKS removable pedals.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The more opinions the better as I have yet to make any decisions
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

one thing that those who advocate adding bars ends dont realise that on drop bars the most useful part is the curve between the tops and where the brakes are - this is probably the best postion as the palm of the hand falls there naturally? that is the bit I would miss a lot on flat bars of any kind
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Orangey wrote:.
I've ended up with an M type Brompton that I swapped the handlebars on so that I could fit bar-ends. This has worked really well for me and I've stuck with it for about 6 years now and done the same thing to my second Brompton. More details here: http://blog.dancorder.com/2012/07/more-handlebars.html

I like the look of that.....very nice switch and definitely food for thought re my own 'M' type Brompton (that I wish was an 'S' )
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

mercalia wrote:one thing that those who advocate adding bars ends dont realise that on drop bars the most useful part is the curve between the tops and where the brakes are - this is probably the best postion as the palm of the hand falls there naturally? that is the bit I would miss a lot on flat bars of any kind

AFAICS Ergon stubby bar ends (GP2/GP3?) basically give you a ramps position like that, and are conveniently small enough to fit the Brompton fold; I've never seen one with any other kinds of bar ends fitted.
Orangey

Post by Orangey »

mercalia wrote:one thing that those who advocate adding bars ends dont realise that on drop bars the most useful part is the curve between the tops and where the brakes are - this is probably the best postion as the palm of the hand falls there naturally? that is the bit I would miss a lot on flat bars of any kind

I must admit that I've never had a bike with drop bars so I can't comment on the comparison there. I do find bar-ends more comfortable than a straight bar though.
Barks

Post by Barks »

How easy is it to get the bike into one of the storage bags? - I’d prefer to put it in a clean bag and leave it in the department somewhere rather than the changing rooms from where it would disappear.

Once in the bag, are they a PITA to move around

I’ve never bothered with the expensive Brompton bags and have only ever twice been asked (told) to cover the bike up - a large JD Sports carrier bag or an Ikea Dimpa bag are plenty strong enough. Once was using a bus (bolshy driver) and the other was entering a very upmarket office block where they initially wanted me to use the bike rack outside and refused to let me come in. I went back outside, folded the bike put it in the JD Sports bag and carried it back in as luggage - lots of other people had bags so they just couldn’t object.

More importantly when travelling by train I hardly ever fold the bike when arriving at stations, travelling on the smaller local trains or transiting for changes, only folding at the point when boarding the inter-city trains where space is that much tighter. Never ever have I used a bag on a train (I keep it and a spare tyre in a small cheap stuff sack attached to the saddle).
softlips

Post by softlips »

Gattonero wrote:
softlips wrote:I travel a lot with work and tend to fly but I’m considering using the train and buying a Brompton. I work all over the country in the cardiac labs of hospitals but mainly in London and big cities. Having a Brompton would mean I could get some excercise during the week while my road bikes are at home.

How easy is it to get the bike into one of the storage bags? - I’d prefer to put it in a clean bag and leave it in the department somewhere rather than the changing rooms from where it would disappear.

Once in the bag, are they a PITA to move around?

Once folded the bike slips easily into a plain bag like this
so you can keep it around where you are.

The Brompton is a small and regular shaped package so it's not difficult to carry if you can use two hands. Their bag has two wheels but you want to keep one hand on the straps and one at the bottom when going up stairs/etc. Those 11-12kgs are not a big deal for most.

Would that bag fold small enough to carry on the rear rack? I don’t work at one place so would need to take it with me. It looks just the job though.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Would that bag fold small enough to carry on the rear rack? I don’t work at one place so would need to take it with me. It looks just the job though

If you are travelling by trains, buses and taxis you just don’t need this very expensive bag - as i’ve Mentioned above you rarely need a bag at all.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Barks wrote:
Would that bag fold small enough to carry on the rear rack? I don’t work at one place so would need to take it with me. It looks just the job though

If you are travelling by trains, buses and taxis you just don’t need this very expensive bag - as i’ve Mentioned above you rarely need a bag at all.

I do if taking it into an operating theatre department.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Look at an Ikea Dimpa bag then - that fully encloses the bike. I think they cost about £5 and roll up pretty small for when you are riding. Just checked the price, £2.95.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Barks wrote:Look at an Ikea Dimpa bag then - that fully encloses the bike. I think they cost about £5 and roll up pretty small for when you are riding. Just checked the price, £2.95.

I did a google and it seems to be a common soln as quite a few images of using them
Mavis2016

Post by Mavis2016 »

I have recently ordered a Brompton and ordered this for when I feel the need to cover it up (meetings in buildings as a visitor in mind as I am using a Brompton as an excuse to sell a car so will be fairly reliant upon it), otherwise it will just sit next to my desk folded.

https://www.brompton.com/brompton-gbr/uk-store/luggage/brompton-cover-and-saddle-bag/c-24/c-72/p-1488
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

softlips wrote:
Would that bag fold small enough to carry on the rear rack? I don’t work at one place so would need to take it with me. It looks just the job though.

that is the Brompton B bag I mentioned above. It does not fold up particularly small, but you can just about lash it on the carrier. It is fiercely expensive though...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mercalia, I've been following this with interest as I plan on buying a Brompton in April. I'm pretty sure what I want, but the one thing you haven't asked about is tyres.

Do you have set views and what do the pack think are the best tyres for a Brompton?