Potential brakes upgrade

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Potential brakes upgrade

Post by Brucey »

robrichards wrote:In answer to your questions, it's been a while since I had a bike, bought mine over a year ago and I've tweaked the brakes as best I can but find them bit soft and slow regardless of what I do to them. I think the new or more expensive versions might come with spyre but definitely not mine!....

have you tried replacing the cables? They are often assembled without lube in the factory and don't improve with time. Better cables can transform some brakes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robrichards

Post by robrichards »

Thanks Brucey. It's not something I've tried so might be worth a shot! Cheer!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Have you cleaned the rotors and pads with aerosol brake cleaner,and checked if they're set up correctly?
They may need some new pads,if the roads/tracks are mucky you'd be better off with sintered pads,organic pads wear very quickly in mucky,gritty conditions.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jeatsy

Post by jeatsy »

This thread is kind of touching on a "problem" I have too. It's a problem of knowledge or lack thereof, combined with the expense of gaining this knowledge.

I've read praise of BB7's before and I have a hunch that my mechanical discs (Shimano BR-R515) aren't as good, but how do you have enough faith in this hunch to cough up the 3-figure sum for an upgrade? Hence, in 5 years of commuting and more recently touring, I'm still curious but never have done.

Possible answer #1: Test-ride a bike that has them on, knowing full well you aren't gonna buy that bike. But the pads need bedding in before you know what they're really like, I think? So for brakes that doesn't work?

Possible answer #2: Make more friends :). Not just any old friend, mind, they have to have a nice bike... :twisted:

Am curious how others manage this??
PH

Post by PH »

robrichards wrote:Thanks for replies, definitely Tektro not spyre brakes. Budget is definitely low end but I can save up!

That's a shame, though Tektro and TRP are the same company and Spyre brakes are sometimes listed as Tektro on new bikes. If you're hoping for someone with experience with the same brakes you have, it might be worth mentioning the model rather than the manufacturer.
New cables sound like a good investment, if they make no difference swap them back and keep the new ones for a time when you need them, they won't go to waste.
I've found these to be good and decent value
http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/gus ... 6786-p.asp
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Perhaps, as a stop gap, just think about changing the front to a BB7 only, although this is an ongoing maintenance pain, it would at lest give you an idea of improvement, in a way that e-bay will go some way to reclaiming your costs for, if it doesn't work out.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you do go avid, avoid BB5. It's worth spending the extra for the adjustment on the moving pad that is independent of cable adjustment, as is the case with bb7 and some other cable calipers.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Redmi Note 4 using hovercraft full of eels.