A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pilar

A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

Post by Pilar »

While I was cycletouring in the Nederlands last summer I had someone in a bike shop install a new kickstand, longer, stronger and more effective than the previous one. He didn't put anything at all between frame and kickstand and must have tightened it very hard! The previous kickstand, also one legged, had been installed by myself, with some rubber between chainstay and kickstand and - I am sure of this - no ill effects. The bike is a good (Dawes Supergalaxy, possibly Reynolds 631), but old (year 2000) touring machine with thousands of loaded miles.

I am now doing my winter maintenance and have removed the kickstand to find the chainstay crushed, see pictures. Underneath, the crush is obvious (looks worse in the picture) and there is even a tiny hole. The above section is literally paint damage.

Am I right to think this the end of this bike? I happen to be building another touring bike at the moment but I was still planning to use this old friend for local trips and commuting. I guess now even this is not a good idea?
Any advice welcome.
chainstay from above
chainstay from above

chainstay from below
chainstay from below
Last edited by Graham on 6 Feb 2018, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Captions corrected
hamster

Re: A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

Post by hamster »

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. It looks horrible and will make the rear triangle marginally less stiff from the flatter shape but they remain well supported by the seatstays.

I personally struggle with the point of spending all day dragging a kickstand round the countryside when leaning it up against a wall, tree etc is lighter and costs nothing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looks like it might have been the wrong sort of stand too
Frames can be repaired, ask your LBS
Or a motor workshop could fix it maybe
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

If it is to be retired to "light duties", just prep it and paint it. Then monitor occasionally for rust or cracks. It's a pity but I'd still ride it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

looks horrible, but is a pretty typical result when you attach a stand to a touring bike built in good quality tubing. No manufacturer worth their salt says 'it is a good idea to fit one of these, go right ahead'....

BTW the original stand fitment may have created no damage in and of itself but then using it might have (*); the loads are just as horrible when you actually use the thing to support a loaded bike as when you tighten the bolt. Some of the damage looks like corrosion to me; this is less likely to have occurred in a few months than in the time previously.

I would suggest that you should keep an eye on the damaged area and inspect it for cracks on a regular basis. If/when it cracks, get someone to weld it up again. If one chainstay breaks you will probably feel the frame go all floppy but it isn't likely to cause a bad accident or anything. Not the sort of thing you want to have happen in the middle of a tour but if you have just nipped down the shops it isn't the end of the world.

[edit; (*) it looks as if the damage to the underside of the left chainstay is worse than the right, which is exactly what you would expect if the chainstays had deformed in use rather than just when the bolt was tightened.]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 6 Feb 2018, 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

still sad to happen to a bike you have spent so much time on end like that :(
Templogin

Post by Templogin »

Dear oh dear! No-one would blame you for beating to death the mechanic with the now removed stand :(
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

They've said it all really
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

hamster wrote:I personally struggle with the point of spending all day dragging a kickstand round the countryside when leaning it up against a wall, tree etc is lighter and costs nothing.

I too have been mystified by this for a long time. It would be interesting to have an explanation from somebody who thinks a kickstand is worthwhile.
RickH

Post by RickH »

ChrisButch wrote:
hamster wrote:I personally struggle with the point of spending all day dragging a kickstand round the countryside when leaning it up against a wall, tree etc is lighter and costs nothing.

I too have been mystified by this for a long time. It would be interesting to have an explanation from somebody who thinks a kickstand is worthwhile.

I've got a 2 leg one on the Circe Helios tandem (& it has a plate with a nut welded in place behind the rear BB for the purpose) - it is invaluable for loading small children on the back (1 stoker, 1 in seat). Also useful to make an impromptu bike stand when out with a group when the cafe you've stopped at hasn't any spare wall, or other leaning space, left - put the tandem on the stand & lean a couple of bike against each side! :D Otherwise I generally wouldn't bother.
Attachments
IMGP0224 (Small).JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I had a kickstand for a while on a mtb which I used for shopping and touring. That frame was made with a stand in mind – had bolt holes in the l/h rear dropout. I did find it useful for touring when heavily laden, stop for a "hedge inspection" often there's nothing solid to lean a heavy bike against - gates often not fastened etc. Good for loading up and unloading too. Around town it has no value as there's always something to lean against.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ChrisButch wrote:

There's not always a convenient wall or tree, plus leaning the bike against stuff (especially cycle parking stands) scratches it up, plus it's a lot more difficult (but not impossible) for a bike to fall off a good stand than to fall over while leant against something - especially in crowded cycle parks, your bike is a lot more likely to be knocked over by people moving other bikes near it if it's leaning rather than stood.

That said, I am fairly careful to take the bike off the stand before attaching heavy bags and I wouldn't fit one of those chainstay-crusher ones. If a bike doesn't have a plate for a centre stand, I'd probably fit an axle-mounted one or at least a near-axle one.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I've watched a number of videos where they state to never mount a kick stand on the chain stay. Now, I understand why.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Pilar

Post by Pilar »

Many thanks to all the replies!

I will get someone competent to look at it to see if there is anyway I can savage the bike without paying the equivalent of buying another one. And in the meantime she can enjoy a part-time retirement just assisting with the local transport rather than extended foreign adventures...

:wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

MarcusT wrote:I've watched a number of videos where they state to never mount a kick stand on the chain stay. Now, I understand why.

They're idiots who only ride in circles from home? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.